Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1242534 - 08/03/09 11:22 AM Pre-working your stuff out before solos
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

people say that if you work out stuff beforehand, its no longer improv, but I've heard Bill Evans used the same kind of voicing or pretty extended line (like 4-5seconds worth of it) note-to-note on various recordings. I've also read an interview on Hal Galper, and he talks about how a lot of Bill Evan's voicings are worked out beforehand. I've also read about how Oscar Peterson used to work on his fingering before his gigs.

I think when you are working out complicated stuff like soloing on block chord there is no way you can just "improvise on them". I realized that I had to come up with something I worked out already and practice it. I might even play them on a gig exactly note-by-note for that block chord section. I am hoping that eventually I would be able to play variations on them, and ultimately be able to improvise on them fluently.

So I guess my question is how much of improv actually improvised vs something that you consciously worked out? I know you pretty much have to work out any new thing you want to incoporate in your playing, but in some ways if you are playing some things note-by-note the same on performance, it's not that much different than classical music... and for something as difficult as block chord solos, I don't see any other way of doing them.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1242626 - 08/03/09 01:23 PM Re: Pre-working your stuff out before solos [Re: etcetra]
Pianos_N_Cheezecake Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
It just depends how you work those things into your solos while in performance. If you're thinking along the lines of "Second chorus, insert line here" then I think that's a problem. The nature of improvisation is that when notes are played, you follow through and take it where it is SUPPOSED to go. My prof says "Start the note, and play the one that comes next". So in this case I think that working out things before hand means you have to attempt to set them up properly(on the spot)so that the line doesn't awkwardly stick out within the rest of the solo. Making sense? I think that this is 1 way to work it, but not ideal in my opinion.

I think a better way to work it is like you work everything else. Transcribe, practise lines, work out fingerings, and if they're meant to come out in a solo they will because it is simply a part of your language. In my opinion that is true improvisation.

Cheeze...

Miranda

Edited by Pianos_N_Cheezecake (08/03/09 01:25 PM)

#1242633 - 08/03/09 01:34 PM Re: Pre-working your stuff out before solos [Re: Pianos_N_Cheezecake]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pianos_N_Cheezecake,

I guess the problem here is that block chord soloing is much harder than working lines into your playing. It's one thing to learn how to play #11 over a V7 or using the phrygian instead of Mixolydian on V7, you don't necessary have to work out everything beforehand.. but with block chords you are dealing with multiple notes at a any given 8th notes.

The difficulty of those things doesn't really leave a lot of space for spontaneity.. at least for me. I can see how you can do lines you've worked on can come out spontaneously on a new tune, but some things, like block chords seems nearly impossible to 'come out' naturally, and the probably won't be as spontaneous as my lines.

I know Bill Evans worked things out beforehand extensively When I hear different takes of Bill Evan's solos, it sounds like he has X amount of voicings and other stuff worked out already.. and you are hearing different variations of them at a different time.. I've heard him play an entire section, a even chorus worth of stuff exactly the same note-by-note in a solo on different takes.

on the other hand I think Keith Jarrett is more spontaneous and less meticulous/pre-meditated when he plays... but he does a lot less with chords than Bill (in my opinion)

#1242845 - 08/03/09 07:10 PM Re: Pre-working your stuff out before solos [Re: etcetra]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: etcetra
Pianos_N_Cheezecake,

I guess the problem here is that block chord soloing is much harder than working lines into your playing. It's one thing to learn how to play #11 over a V7 or using the phrygian instead of Mixolydian on V7, you don't necessary have to work out everything beforehand.. but with block chords you are dealing with multiple notes at a any given 8th notes.

The difficulty of those things doesn't really leave a lot of space for spontaneity.. at least for me. I can see how you can do lines you've worked on can come out spontaneously on a new tune, but some things, like block chords seems nearly impossible to 'come out' naturally, and the probably won't be as spontaneous as my lines.

I know Bill Evans worked things out beforehand extensively When I hear different takes of Bill Evan's solos, it sounds like he has X amount of voicings and other stuff worked out already.. and you are hearing different variations of them at a different time.. I've heard him play an entire section, a even chorus worth of stuff exactly the same note-by-note in a solo on different takes.

on the other hand I think Keith Jarrett is more spontaneous and less meticulous/pre-meditated when he plays... but he does a lot less with chords than Bill (in my opinion)

Etcetra, I think I read an interview with drummer Joe LaBarbera, that played with Bill until the final gig and he said Bill would spend a long time with a tune, playing every possible voicing, solo, reharmonization before he would record the tune or perform it live. He was not necessarily spontaneous in coming up with his arrangements.

I think it's ok to play some ideas over a tune to get a start before putting on the set list for gigs/recording. I'm pretty sure Chick C lays down some ideas to form a great solo. I have heard some similar pentatonics licks he uses in several tunes as well as Bill E. Keith Jarrett on the other hand seems to play differently and just takes it as he hears it at the time, without much thought or prep. Just some thoughts

katt

#1243658 - 08/04/09 09:46 PM Re: Pre-working your stuff out before solos [Re: nitekatt2008z]
fingerbreaker Offline

A couple of points:

1. There's no shame in preparing a solo if that's what it takes for your solo to sound good. If the audience likes it, it's good.

2. Improvisation connotes spontanaiety but it doesn't necessarily equate to absolute originality. I would guess that, whether the performer recognizes it or not, that experienced jazz improvisationalists (and I am not one) rarely play licks, phrases, runs, etc. that they have not played hundreds of times before in practice or previous performances. What separates good improvisers from the mediocre is the size of their repertoire of prepared "tools" and their fluency in calling on those tools in a musical way in real time.

Think of it like a good orator who gives an improvised speech. He's not going to try to make words up, he's going to pick from the thousands he already knows backwards and forwards. He is able to pick which ones capture his meaning the best and he knows from experience which ones those are. And he knows more grammatical rules and patterns than you thought there were to know. Within those rules there are infinite possibilities for what he might say, but he might throw in some colloquialisms or French phrases depending on his audience. He may quote someone else if it helps make his point, or even for a laugh. He also has an idea of what he wants to get across as he begins the speech, but he hasn't memorized it up front (although many great speeches are memorized of course). He also has a knack for stressing certain words, pausing for effect, etc. which further enraptures his audience. And he knows when to stop!

So, start your vocabulary drills and study your grammar. And read lots of great speeches to see how others do it and find out what words, phrases, and styles work for you. Don't worry about preparing your speech ahead of time if you're not good at talking on the fly yet. And if you find yourself spitting on the stage in the middle of your speeches, you are probably better suited for the trumpet.

-FB

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (accordeur, Abby Pianoman, ajames, 36251, 46 invisible), 1759 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76033 Members
42 Forums
157209 Topics
2308991 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
28 minutes 34 seconds ago
Do you "swing" your Courante?
by Cinnamonbear
52 minutes 42 seconds ago
Kawai MP6 and settings via MIDI
by Lania
Today at 01:10 PM
Schubert Impromptu Op. 90 No. 4 in Ab - technique question
by Pistos
Today at 10:37 AM
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
Today at 09:29 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission