Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
132 registered (36251, ABC Vermonter, Anita Potter, anotherscott, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1496 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1243330 - 08/04/09 02:12 PM Anyone here familiar with Electone?
musicianwannabe Offline

Judging from the general lack of response in this forum, I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking of purchasing an Electone, though, and I don't want to blindly order a model hoping for the best. So if anyone knows about Electone more than I do... feel free to reply.

#1243612 - 08/04/09 08:34 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The lack of response is indicative of the lack of interest in the organ business today. It peaked in the US in the mid 1980's. Electones were a line of quality home organs that were built and marketed by Yamaha. They were made for several years with several generations and evolutions of models. Electones are no longer imported by Yamaha Corporation of American into the US. They may still be sold in other parts of the world.

Their quality, performance, and durability were at the top of the catagory.

#1243744 - 08/05/09 01:17 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: Marty Flinn]
Piano Peddler Offline

Do you have a specific model that you are interested in purchasing? What questions do you have?

Edited by Piano Peddler (08/05/09 01:17 AM)
and keyboard musician

#1243747 - 08/05/09 01:44 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: Piano Peddler]
musicianwannabe Offline

Actually, I reread the website I was on and discovered (just like Marty Flinn said) that they weren't selling any electones anymore. So never mind. :P

Just for future reference, though, what model would you recommend for a beginning player who's on a budget? My family used to own an EL-90, but my understanding is that's for someone who's more or less "serious" about playing... which I'm not.

#1243750 - 08/05/09 01:52 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, EL 90 was basically next to the top of the line electones in the 90s. I love EL 90.

#1243751 - 08/05/09 01:53 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: RonaldSteinway]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

go to Electone.com for more info about Electone...

#1256098 - 08/25/09 08:02 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: RonaldSteinway]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I'd certainly like to have one. Their design is so elegant.

I saw a you tube video a while back of this Japanese girl playing some type of electric organ but it was more like a synthesizer. Electrifying. Her pedal work was incredible.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1279679 - 10/02/09 10:50 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: apple*]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Electones are still sold in Japan. They're not as popular as pianos, but they sell enough to sustain monthly music magazines. You'll find them at large music dealers and Yamaha stores.

But, yeah, in the US, home organs were somewhat popular in the 70's with names like Lowery and Thomas and then the market just crashed for them. If you find one at all, it will be a dusty piece of junk. That market has mostly been absorbed by fancy digital piano instruments like the Yamaha CVP series. These have rhythms and accompaniment like the old home organs did (as well as various orchestral, synth, organ and other sounds besides piano).

#1338948 - 01/02/10 12:41 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: Geoffk]
Jim Berna Offline

Loc: Fayette City,PA. 15438

The electone organ was a yamaha product, and I sold them! They were a good organ, and the sounds were good on them. The only problem was learning to set them up as they did not really utilize the stop tab system but a roller system. The organs were good products of Yamaha!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician

#1341506 - 01/05/10 02:22 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: Jim Berna]
LimeFriday Offline

Loc: Australia
I played an Electone - well a number of electones for years. I had an HX 1 that I loved. I bought a second had FX 20 a few years ago for a good price and it's still going strong - and I still enjoy playing it.

What did you decide to do?

#1341581 - 01/05/10 03:34 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: LimeFriday]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
You may ask on organforum.com. They have an extensive section on electronic _organs_ of all kinds.

#1977671 - 10/23/12 06:06 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
clockman Offline

I just acquired an FX-20 recently as well. I'm having a blast relearning it as I completed the Electone course when I was a kid as a diversion from my "serious" piano study.
Yamaha Electone FX-20 Organ (circa 1983)

#2002989 - 12/22/12 07:55 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I used to play one or two of tem many years ago. If you`re used to the Hammond spinets, or even the C3 or A100`s T500 etc, you wouldn`t have liked `em. Bit reedy and tin sounding.

But from the spectator`s viewpoint, they were good. And light to carry.

""

#2018474 - 01/21/13 03:26 PM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
KataiYubi Offline

The current model is the Electone Stagea, only sold in Asia.

This is a marvelous instrument; listen to this performance by Qi Zhang (her transcription from the "Love of Three Oranges") and be awed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKorq7dE4gM

After seeing this, I inquired at Yamaha Canada why they don't sell these in North America. They said there was no market for it (with over 300 million population?). I told them they're wrong, as I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Another issue is the (apparently) different voltage of these organs compared to the North American one. They told me that plugging a Stagea in the electrical system of my house can make it burn down. I'm not convinced this is true, as I've ordered several appliances made for Japan use and the voltage is the same as in Canada.

Some people have imported such organs in Europe/North America, but then it's extremely costly and good luck if you ever need service on it.

#2279487 - 05/22/14 12:53 AM Re: Anyone here familiar with Electone? [Re: musicianwannabe]
gsmonks Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
There are a few things about the Electone that you should know:

Certain models are HIGHLY collectable right now, especially the C600, if I'm remembering correctly. If you can find an old one in good working order, try it out, and if you like it, snag it.

Most modern guys into recording want the Electone mainly for the sequencer. Once you've heard an Electone sequencer, you'll notice right off that it's something you heard a million times before without knowing what it was.

The Electone "organ" is really not an organ: it's the "organ" version of a synthesiser that was especially popular (and expensive) in the late 70's. I have a few of them and use them as analogue synths, not organs.

What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77388 Members
42 Forums
160045 Topics
2350268 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission