Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1243888 - 08/05/09 10:25 AM How to incorporate ear training in piano lessons?
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI
I have only been teaching piano for a little over a year, but I love it!

I am looking to incorporate more ear training in my lessons, but I'm not sure how. I am constantly singing during the lessons, but I never make my students sing. I guess I'm afraid of embarrassing them, since people seem to be shy about singing. I don't want to make them uncomfortable, but I want them to be able to make the important connection between voice and piano.

I also do a few ear training exercies and quizzes where I will play things and the student has to identify what I'm doing or not doing just by listening, but I was wondering if anyone had any more suggestions for singing and ear training within lessons that won't make the student uncomfortable or embarrassed.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1244730 - 08/06/09 12:47 PM Re: How to incorporate ear training in piano lessons? [Re: toejamfutbol]
aEquals440 Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Wow, hats off to you, TJF. Ear training is something that is sorely amiss in piano pedagogy. The only method books I know are college-level, but it may be worth getting a cheap copy of an out-of-print edition on Amazon for use as they start out pretty simply. You may end up having to make your own exercises. You could have the student try to figure out a simple melody they know by ear for an assignment. Give them the starting note in the key of C and let them go at it! You could also have them close their eyes, play a simple motive, give them the starting note and have them (with eyes open), try to copy. Another exercise would be letting them improvise even a simple one note melody and just see where it goes. I agree that many are self-conscious about singing. If you CAN get them to sing or hum, it can only help, of course!

#1247808 - 08/12/09 09:16 AM Re: How to incorporate ear training in piano lessons? [Re: aEquals440]
Phil Best Offline

Loc: Fulham, London, UK
For me ear-training is best done by working on rhythmic awareness and pulse structure combined with internal mapping of the sounds and key-structures that the student plays. Good aural sense is an innate ability that needs unlocking. It requires a disciplined focus and shift towards internalised or active playing rather than the passive, external approach that is so prevalent. Aural training done through testing can make people good at aural tests but rarely improves their musical ear. Practical musicianship is the best way!

#1247965 - 08/12/09 02:17 PM Re: How to incorporate ear training in piano lessons? [Re: Phil Best]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I teach ear training to all of my students, even as young as 4 years. The younger the child, the easier it is to develop the ear. Since I teach mostly group piano, ear training activities are done with other kids and they learn from each other. We do a lot of singing, using solfege. I'll sing a 3-note pattern, they'll sing it back for me. For beginners I'll use only 3 notes (do, re, mi), then later add fa and sol. Once we've sung simple patterns for a few weeks I'll play the same patterns but only sing the 'first' note of the pattern; they have to sing back the entire pattern. Then a little later I'll play the entire pattern with no singing and they have to sing it back for me.

We also do ear training at the piano, with me playing/singing the patterns and the kids playing/singing them back to me. In my studio set-up each child sits at his own digital piano; if you only have one piano you might consider getting a keyboard so that you and the child are NOT sitting at the same piano (with them VISUALLY copying what you're playing, and not using their ear).

I also do ear training where I play patterns and they guess and put them on a large magnetic note board that's on the wall.

Along with single note patterns, I also do ear training using various chords. For example, I'll have students stand in front of my piano and I'll play C chords (I chords) in quarter notes; kids start by clapping hands in the same beat. Then without telling them, I change to G7 (V7) and they have to tap their knees. Later, I'll add the IV chord and they have to tap their head.... Then I'll sing the tone names of each chord (do-mi-sol for the C chord, ti-fa-sol for the G7 ) and they have to sing them back for me.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1591 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156112 Topics
2292504 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
07/24/14 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
07/23/14 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
07/23/14 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
07/23/14 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
07/23/14 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission