Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1243361 - 08/04/09 02:52 PM Flue season and spreading germs.
Mrs.A Offline

Cold and flu season is not here yet but I’ve already noticed several students who are showing signs of bronchial problems. What do you do to keep the flu bug at bay in your studio? In my studio there is one child after another playing the piano. I usually require they squirt with antibacterial gel before and after lessons even if they don,t show signs of illness but am afraid an accident with the gel could damage the finish on my piano.

I have a friend who requires her students wash before they sit at her piano. Curious as to what precautions others take in their studio against illness.
Mom to four boys.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1243427 - 08/04/09 03:42 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Mrs.A]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I don't really do anything in particular. I do ask that they don't come if they're sick.
I used to do all the anti-biotic stuff, but now everything you read says that it just toughens the germs anyway. They get exposed to all of it at school and everywhere else.
I keep tissues and a waste basket nearby. I wipe down the keys every Saturday, but I don't use any product, I'm worried about damaging them.

I do always wash MY own hands after playing the piano wink

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1243451 - 08/04/09 04:07 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
From what my medical pros tell me, the primary influenza vector (medical lingo for transmitter) is hands to eyes/mouth membranes. In the last decade I believe only one student has been out with the real flu, the rest have had common colds. So my policy is to wash my hands after each student's lesson, if they exhibit any sign of cold/flu. The keyboard gets wiped down with Windex weekly, unless a student is sniffling, then it's right after their lesson. And as long time readers know, I teach on a separate piano, so I'm less likely to pick up anything in the first place.

#1243523 - 08/04/09 05:49 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Loc: SoCal
Just on a side note do any of you notice that you get sick a lot less after teaching kids for many years and being around their germs? It's funny that for me after 15 yrs of teaching I rarely get sick even though I'm around sick kids all the time.

I also write it into my policy that if little Johnny or Jane is really sick not to have them take their lesson.

~Jennifer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

#1243548 - 08/04/09 06:18 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Jennifer Eklund]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I get a little more specific. In policy it states that if the student stayed home from school that day, they are not to come to the lesson.

I once had a student show up with a fever of 102! I sent him right back out the door and told the mother I was surprised she would expose my own children to his illness. Sometimes people don't think.

#1243552 - 08/04/09 06:29 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Minniemay]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Great thread here. Do you offer makeup lessons to the sick students?
I use antibacterial wipes on the keys, hoping that is safe and won't harm them. Maybe we should ask this question over in the tech forum. It appears that the white keys on my piano are plastic (coated?) but the black keys are not. Pretty dumb that I don't know this.
Anyway....I had sick kids coming in here last year like crazy and am asking parents now to please keep them home when they are ill/contagious. It's a waste of time to work with them when they are sick.
Do you work when you are sick or close the studio?

#1243572 - 08/04/09 06:54 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Barb860]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I have a sick day written into my policy for myself. I offer 40 lessons per year, so if they need to skip one they can push it off til the summer. Much more flexibility that way.

#1244017 - 08/05/09 12:41 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Minniemay]
Mrs.A Offline

I noticed I misspelled flu. That is what I get for always being in a hurry.

I don’t allow make-ups. Not only do I have to make room for the make-up but it is time consuming rescheduling. Drives me nuts when I am in the middle of making dinner and the phone rings andI have to go to the schedule and find a time that works for both of us. I just don,t do it anymore I do have a makeup lesson once a month on Staturday but it is a group lesson.

I have to be very sick to not teach. I probably should not expose students to illness but calling to cancel all those students and then prorating monthly tuition statement for my cancellation is a lot of extra work.There is always one or two student you can,t get a hold of and they show up anyway.

A good friend of mine and fellow teacher related a story to me about a student who came to lessons sick and vomited on her piano. It was in the keys. Can you imagine? Shortly after she did purchase a new piano. I was an excuse to get that baby grand. It is very funny now.
Mom to four boys.

#1244027 - 08/05/09 12:51 PM Re: Flue season and spreading germs. [Re: Mrs.A]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
Colds and the flu are virii, not bacteria, so no matter how much antibacterial anything you use, it won't help. Alcohol-based sanitizers will work better, but don't be fooled just because a bottle says antibacterial on it. There have been studies showing no significant difference in cleanliness with normal soap vs. antibacterial soap.

Have your kids wash their hands with lots of soap before they touch your piano, and if they sneeze into their hands or on the piano, have them wash their hands again while you clean off the keys. Usually I use a damp paper towel nuked in the microwave for 10 seconds to wipe my keys down.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Does anybody know about Hayes London?
by Sam4
Today at 05:16 PM
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
Today at 03:23 PM
contacting with someone of VI Labs
by imyself
Today at 03:02 PM
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
Today at 01:23 PM
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Allan W., 41 invisible), 1457 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157632 Topics
2315318 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission