Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (acollins, ando, accordeur, anamnesis, 51 invisible), 1557 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1244919 - 08/06/09 06:01 PM Help me!..... I play like a robot
David P Offline

Loc: New Jersey
For the life of me, I just can't seem to introduce acceptable musicality into my playing. I do keep my hands and finger loose without tension but this does not even seem to help. I have a teacher whos experienced with degrees and has recognized this early on. He has made the comment to play more musically but he has not made any effort to correct this problem. I believe he believes there is little that can be done for the reason of a limited ability or late start on the piano (39yrs)I'm unsure. He says its not my age implying it just my natural inability. So, he doesn't bring it up. However, could it be that he just does not know how to help someone like me out of this bad style?

I have played for 6years and get plenty of practice in. He told me to get czerny. I did and played it through the entire book. It taught me how to sight read better and play ornamentation but still to no avail. I did Hanon 60 through out the book this enabled me to move round on the keyboard with easy but apparently did not help at all with musicality.

The piece I'm robotic on is a contemporary piece from Keith Greens repertory. Its extremely syncopated. I know certain pieces are less demanding on musically (attack of keys and transitioning from note to note) such as a negro spritual though dynamically demanding, the slow speed of the piece gives me time to render dynamics better.

What exercises or how should I practice inorder to come out of this flawed techneck. Is this a matter of week fingers or uncontrollable Hand's/arms? Don't be afread to tell me like it is. If I'm unable to improve I'll just have to live with it, maybe move over to trumpet where I excell and find it a
"breeze"

Edited by David P (08/06/09 06:02 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1244921 - 08/06/09 06:12 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
There's a thread with a similar question here in the teachers forum that might offer some insight:

Expression in music thread

Cathy

#1244932 - 08/06/09 06:35 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: jotur]
Pianos_N_Cheezecake Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Well, this is coming from a jazz musician but a lot of how I express notes and use different dynamics comes from years of listening. Maybe you should try picking up a few recordings, maybe even an exact recording of the pieces you are playing and see how that musician interprets the piece. You could even take one passage, a few bars, and try and play it exactly like that musician. It's a good way to gain the right sensibilities for the music.

Cheeze...

#1244959 - 08/06/09 06:58 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: David P
I believe he believes there is little that can be done for the reason of a limited ability or late start on the piano (39yrs)I'm unsure. He says its not my age implying it just my natural inability. So, he doesn't bring it up. However, could it be that he just does not know how to help someone like me out of this bad style?

What a crock, if you'll excuse the expression. A good teacher should be able to guide your playing to become expressive. I am assuming that you don't speak or sing in a monotone.

#1244965 - 08/06/09 07:04 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
What exercises or how should I practice inorder to come out of this flawed techneck. Is this a matter of week fingers or uncontrollable Hand's/arms? Don't be afread to tell me like it is. If I'm unable to improve I'll just have to live with it, maybe move over to trumpet where I excell and find it a
"breeze"

David, forget about exercises. Musicality comes from within. You must "feel" the music. Now, you're probably playing classical pieces right? Guess what? It's not "your" music. Try to improvise. There's no quicker way to be in the present and with the music instead of in your head analyzing notes etc. I have a free lesson that might help. Just click my sig.

#1244978 - 08/06/09 07:14 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The piece I'm robotic on is a contemporary piece from Keith Greens repertory.

Keith Green is not even remotely Classical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Green

Edited by rocket88 (08/06/09 07:16 PM)

#1245069 - 08/06/09 09:19 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: rocket88]
David P Offline

I like the idea of playing from listening. The difficulty rises as the music is at a fast tempo. Though I heard of a software called the "great slow downer" I think. this allows mp3s to be slowed down while one listens. Making it possible to play along with the song.

#1245077 - 08/06/09 09:34 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI

The piece I'm robotic on is a contemporary piece from Keith Greens repertory. Its extremely syncopated. I know certain pieces are less demanding on musically (attack of keys and transitioning from note to note) such as a negro spritual though dynamically demanding, the slow speed of the piece gives me time to render dynamics better.

I grew up playing Keith Green! I was obsessed with his music when I was about 14. Which song is it?
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

#1245078 - 08/06/09 09:35 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Welcome to PW David! You need to understand what the piece is expressing, this will be on many levels and is a lifetime's work.

#1245084 - 08/06/09 09:41 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
I like the idea of playing from listening. The difficulty rises as the music is at a fast tempo. Though I heard of a software called the "great slow downer" I think. this allows mp3s to be slowed down while one listens. Making it possible to play along with the song.

The software is called the Amazing SlowDowner. There is another program, Transcribe!, that also includes information about what frequencies are being heard in the music.

Rich

#1245096 - 08/06/09 10:01 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: David P]
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI
Maybe try playing the complete opposite way: instead of playing robotic, be as overly dramatic as you possibly can. That way you can assess the extremes and find a more appropriate middle ground.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

#1245137 - 08/06/09 11:39 PM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: toejamfutbol]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
One simple thing: get the sheet music for something simple that you LOVE. And play that.

Something you adore. Something that you want played at your funeral (and no, not "Achy Breaky Heart" because you'll be dead and not have to listen to it). Get the sheet music for a simple contemporary song that you are absolutely crazy about or that has deep emotional meaning to you. Anything. What's your favorite Simon and Garfunkel song?

Play that, one tiny phrase at a time so that you aren't sweating getting everything right and tensing up.

Edited by J Cortese (08/06/09 11:40 PM)

#1245166 - 08/07/09 01:06 AM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: J Cortese]
David P Offline

Ok, good tips, thank you, the song is "soften your heart". This is my 8 piece by him. I trying to learn hi

#1245194 - 08/07/09 02:47 AM Re: Help me!..... I play like a robot [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
David, I agree with John, Your teacher should be able to guide your playing to become expressive. I'm surprised He doesn't want you to, after all it can only be more enjoyable to listen to for him. I also agree with Cheezecake, listening to different recordings of a song you like and pay attention to what you like with a phrase or don't like so that you know what to try and achieve will help immeasurably. After you are able to play a phrase the way you have heard that you like try and put your spin on it by maybe holding something out a bit more or moving it in a different place than on the recording. Record yourself playing it so you really know what you are sounding like. Sometimes we hear ourselves in our heads or hearts but it is not what is really coming out from under our fingers and we don't realize it unless we can listen back to our recording objectively while not playing. Sometimes singing the phrase while you play it can also help.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
11/27/14 12:29 PM
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
11/27/14 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
11/27/14 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
11/27/14 09:39 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159397 Topics
2341493 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission