Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1243883 - 08/05/09 10:18 AM Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time?
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI
Occasionally I will give a lesson and have some leftover time after we have gone through seemingly everything we wanted to accomplish that day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick educational games or activities to fill up the rest of the lesson? I have flash cards that I like to use sometimes but that's about it.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1243953 - 08/05/09 11:19 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: toejamfutbol]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Wow, I wish I have that problem...

Why not teach more pieces?

Theory worksheets? They can be made pretty easily and you can make all the copies you wish. There are also certain pages that are reproducible from various publishers.

#1243955 - 08/05/09 11:22 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: toejamfutbol]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I almost always give verbal quizzes. With the young ones, or newly beginning, I will have them point to something and then I will tell them what it is, then they have to tell me if I got it right or not. (notes, dynamic markings, ledger lines etc...)

For the older and more experienced I make it harder by pointing to something and they have to tell not only what it is, but also what it does.

I got a cool stick (at a teacher supply store) with a pointer finger on the end of it and the kids really like to play teacher with it smile

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1243972 - 08/05/09 11:41 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
toejamfutbol Offline

The verbal quizzes you are describing sound a lot like the flash cards I use. I go through them and the students have to identify the symbol and also tell me what it means. Your method is a nice variety, though. I'm always looking for new ways to help them remember important symbols and such.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

#1243975 - 08/05/09 11:45 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Ah...

So much that one can do...

Quick and easy for beginners is to play tic tac toe. You make 3 up. Fill in the box with something they should know, then play by naming what is in the box for the x or the o. One one dynamics, one on notation, one on notes. Then let them make up 1,2, or 3 for homework which you will play the following week.

Ear training.

Sight reading skills.

Musical Question and answers. You play C D E F G for a question (sounds unfinished) They will make up the answer. Obvious ones would be G F E D C or C D E F C. Teach them a little about this before doing the game. For instance - answers sound finished and often end in C; often copy/mimic/reverse the question.

More:
CC DD EE F
CDEDEFG
CC EE GG G

Have them copy clapping rhythms. Use hands, feet tapping, knee slapping.

Students usually look forward to these little fillers, and they do still teach music!

#1243976 - 08/05/09 11:46 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: lilylady]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Oh, and playing teacher always is a winner! And they learn to organize, verbalize and need to know what they are talking about to do so.

Great teaching tool.

#1243988 - 08/05/09 11:59 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ebony and Ivory
I got a cool stick (at a teacher supply store) with a pointer finger on the end of it and the kids really like to play teacher with it smile

Oh, you teacher, you!!!

#1244094 - 08/05/09 02:47 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: AZNpiano]
EDWARDIAN Offline

Loc: New York, USA
For my younger students I use the note spelling game. They really love it - so much so that many ask to do it as a regular end of lesson activity.

There are note spelling books out there, but I prefer to just use their own lesson notebooks. Naturally they learn the treble spaces are FACE, and then line notes can be Elvis' Guitar Broke Down Friday or one of the others. Or they can make up their own phrase. Then I write a staff and spell out a word in notes which they turn into the letter names. After treble, same deal for the bass. When both staves are thoroughly learned, I write a word in treble (or bass) notes then they write it in letters, and then in bass (or treble) notes. Then they play the "words" making sure they are in the proper octave.

They really learn their notes this way because it's fun and they are actively engaged.

For my older students, I generally introduce a new piece for fun, one of their favorites. Something they always wanted to play as long as it's achievable.

Joan

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com

#1244169 - 08/05/09 05:10 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: toejamfutbol]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: toejamfutbol
Occasionally I will give a lesson and have some leftover time after we have gone through seemingly everything we wanted to accomplish that day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick educational games or activities to fill up the rest of the lesson? I have flash cards that I like to use sometimes but that's about it.

Do your students maintain repertoire? If they do, this is the perfect time to review and polish.

#1244175 - 08/05/09 05:22 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Sight reading! Especially duets. smile

#1244176 - 08/05/09 05:23 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Minniemay]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

My teacher often has me improvise on anything I like — or sightread something.

#1244239 - 08/05/09 07:28 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Horowitzian]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Sight reading duets gets my thumbs-up as well.
Aural training games! Too many ideas to list - your only problem would be choosing!

#1244375 - 08/05/09 11:18 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: currawong]
beccaY Offline

For younger students I play a note naming game on the keys. I use multicolored, plastic jewels that are flat on one side. I have the student turn around so they can't see the keys. I place any number of jewels on the keys. When the student turns around they point to each one saying the note as I time it. We do it a few times in a row each time trying to beat their own time/

For the older students I have a card game called Measure Up. It's very easy to learn and takes no time to get it out and ready to play. You have to make measures with the correct time signatures and notes. It has 4 different time signatures mixed in, but but sometimes I take out the 6/8 notes just because we have not covered it yet.

Those are the favorite two things I do with my students.

#1244389 - 08/06/09 12:14 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: currawong]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Sight reading duets gets my thumbs-up as well.
[...]

We do that too! But with all the tough rep I'm working on even a 45 minute lesson has only a few minutes extra time anymore.

#1244427 - 08/06/09 01:55 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Horowitzian]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

This thread bothers me. As a teacher in a public school, I have to teach "bell to bell." There can't be any free time, or else the class will go nuts. Instruction must be planned to fill the entire period. Much better to over-plan than to under-plan. When you keep the kids busy, they stay out of trouble.

For piano lessons, I don't always plan ahead, but I often find myself in the middle of explaining something when the next student arrives. There just isn't enough time to cover everything.

#1244524 - 08/06/09 07:47 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: AZNpiano]
TXPianoTeacher Offline

Loc: Texas
I agree you have to be prepared, but sometimes I think we all need help putting a few more tricks and games in our arsenal. I have gotten so many good ideas off of this thread, like the tic-tac-toe and the jewels on the keys. smile

Some things I do: Read a little about a composer and play a recording of one of their songs while the kids work on a game or puzzle related to that composer.

Play "memory" with a well-known song. You play one note, they play it, you play two notes, they play those two, etc....until they can't remember the pattern anymore.

Have colorful pictures of things: a rainy day, a king, a sad face, a happy face, etc. Set them all out on the floor and then play something that should remind them of one of the pictures. See if they can guess what picture you were playing. Then see if they can make up their own song for it. They have lots of fun with that.

#1244528 - 08/06/09 07:54 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: AZNpiano]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I also keep flashcards on hand, which my students beg to do (they get stickers for getting 10 right!) I also keep a basket of rhythm instruments next to the piano, and they will sightread rhythm only from random pieces I pull out. Maracas are the favorite. I have a metronome named Shirley Tempo, and they like to practice technique exercises with Shirley. And I keep a couple line-a-day sightreading books nearby - another sticker for reading it correctly.

(Stickers add up to bigger rewards. I guess I should mention that I only teach beginners. These things wouldn't work as well on more advanced students.)

Edited by Lollipop (08/06/09 07:55 AM)

#1244545 - 08/06/09 08:41 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Lollipop]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
The trouble with flashcards is that they don't show context. A child might know that the flash card is showing 3/4 time and they can tell you everything that 3/4 means, but then they don't know where to find 3/4 on the page.

I find it's better for them to see things on the score so they know where they might run into it. Some things are found all over the page (dynamics, staccatos etc...) but other things are usually in the same place (speed, key signature etc...) Just my two cents wink

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1244637 - 08/06/09 11:04 AM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Good point. My flashcards are homemade, cut out from copies of music and glued to index cards. So they are the "real thing" - in context to a certain extent. I color code them according to level, so that kids are being quizzed only on things they should already know.

But that reminds me - another thing I do when students are first learning notes is to take a piece of advanced music, and ask the student to "find me a middle C" (or a third, or a slur, or .....) The students seem excited to find out that there are parts of that complicated music that they already know.

#1244714 - 08/06/09 12:35 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Lollipop]
aEquals440 Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
I remember that one of my teachers would always have sightread some very beautiful pieces that had a vocal or singing quality for expression. He would also sightread easy duets with me. It was a lot of fun. smile

#1244955 - 08/06/09 06:55 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Minniemay]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I usually run out of time before I cover everything (even had this problem when I first started teaching), doing ear training, flashcards (including those they have to sight-read and play the chords or notes, like the Faber flashcards do), music games (some bought, others I made myself), theory, composing, recording, (on audio and/or video)and duets/ensembles. And I rarely teach less than a 45 min lesson.

Meri

#1245089 - 08/06/09 09:49 PM Re: Things to do to fill up leftover lesson time? [Re: Lollipop]
toejamfutbol Offline

Originally Posted By: Lollipop

But that reminds me - another thing I do when students are first learning notes is to take a piece of advanced music, and ask the student to "find me a middle C" (or a third, or a slur, or .....) The students seem excited to find out that there are parts of that complicated music that they already know.

I love that idea! I think it's really important to reinforce students' confidence if I sense that they might be feeling a little overwhelmed, frustrated or incompetent. In that case, if they are in the middle of or nearing the end of a method book, I will make them go back to the very beginning and play me the very first song in the book, so that they can see how easy it is for them now. Sometimes I will glance backwards in their notebook and say, "Look, we have been taking lessons together for a year (or six months or whatever the case may be)! Look at the things we were working on way back then- you've come so far!" That seems to boost their confidence.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, ajames, AndreiN, Atrys, 38 invisible), 1861 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156284 Topics
2295261 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
07/30/14 02:51 PM
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
07/30/14 02:41 PM
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
07/30/14 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
07/30/14 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
07/30/14 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission