Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1245597 - 08/08/09 01:19 AM what the hell is "positive articulation"?
ToriAnais Offline

Loc: Australia
I recently had the joyous experience of putting a kid in for an exam when he was a transfer student who had learnt half his program with a different teacher. A teacher who didn't bother correcting fingering or flat fingers or really...anything from what I can tell. Even the scales were just a made up fingering of the students - 1 2 3 4 1 2 4 1 2 3 4 god it was a nightmare.

ANYWAY.

He did ok in the exam considering - a B, but one of the comments I didn't understand. "Needs more positive articulation", or something like that. Is this about the fact that he plays with flat fingers so the notes sometimes run into each other (this is so hard to change!) or something else?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1245598 - 08/08/09 01:23 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: ToriAnais]
Opus_Maximus Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Not a very specific comment....what was the context?

#1245600 - 08/08/09 01:28 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Opus_Maximus]
ToriAnais Offline

It was the comment for one of his pieces in a grade 1 AMEB exam. Unfortunately I can't remember which one as I only got to have a quick glance over the comments.

#1245649 - 08/08/09 05:50 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: ToriAnais]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
As someone who's had lots of experience interpreting AMEB exam reports smile I'd say the examiner was saying there wasn't enough attention to phrasing and articulation details like staccato, legato, slurs, accents. Maybe the fingerwork on the whole was a bit sloppy instead of clear.

#1245650 - 08/08/09 05:56 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: currawong]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I agree with currawong.

#1245651 - 08/08/09 05:58 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: currawong]
ToriAnais Offline

Ahhh. I wish they were a bit more specific hey! The comments were very sparse, especially when you consider how much it costs to sit these exams.

One of the comments was "lacking in energy" which made me laugh because i know this kid CAN play the piece very energetically with lots of style but when he's showing off and being arrogant he plays it half heartedly like *man I'm so too good for this piece*, and I bet he played it like that in the exam thinking it would impress the examiner. I told him not to so I'm glad the comments backed me up that it just sounds silly!

#1245652 - 08/08/09 05:59 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: keyboardklutz]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
I agree with currawong.
Yay!!!!!!! smile

#1245654 - 08/08/09 06:02 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: ToriAnais]
keyboardklutz Offline

I think it's a shame we're not allowed to sit in. I don't see why not, and it would really help. For us it's a formative assessment, for the examiner summative.

#1245835 - 08/08/09 05:23 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think it's a shame we're not allowed to sit in. I don't see why not, and it would really help. For us it's a formative assessment, for the examiner summative.

that's the one advantage of being my voice students' accompanist: I get to hear how they did rather than try to piece it together from the student's description and the judge's comments. Of course, that means a lot of playing that day for me!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1245920 - 08/08/09 08:38 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Morodiene]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
that's the one advantage of being my voice students' accompanist: I get to hear how they did rather than try to piece it together from the student's description and the judge's comments.
When I accompany people for exams, the teacher is usually hovering outside the door waiting to ambush me and say "how did he go? what did he do? what was it like?" smile

#1245935 - 08/08/09 09:24 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: currawong]
Mrs.A Offline

Mitts Off. I always chuckly when I read your posts and I love your screen name!

I have a judge critique for you too… What the hell does “secure memorization” mean?

Every year I take 20 or so students to a state music audition. It is a large event and a handful of my students inevitably get a particular judge who often writes “secure memorization”. That is it - secure memorization.

Does she mean the student needs to secure the memorization or the memorization IS secure. …

Those students always receive very high marks so I assume she is commenting that it is well memorized.. Why even comment that the piece is memorized. They are being critiqued on so much more than memory.

She is the only one who I have seen make this comment and is always a confusing statement.
Mom to four boys.

#1245993 - 08/08/09 11:41 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Mrs.A]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mrs.A
Every year I take 20 or so students to a state music audition. It is a large event and a handful of my students inevitably get a particular judge who often writes “secure memorization”. That is it - secure memorization.
Does she mean the student needs to secure the memorization or the memorization IS secure. …
Ha ha. That's like the road signs which say "WORKMEN DRIVE SLOWLY" or "FALLING ROCKS DO NOT STOP", to mention two which regular appear in my vicinity.
Once my local newspaper was reporting on talks which were going on to come to some agreement about limiting the impact of coal trucks on the roads, and the headline said: "COAL TRUCK TALKS" ... grin

#1246076 - 08/09/09 06:36 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Morodiene]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

that's the one advantage of being my voice students' accompanist: I get to hear how they did rather than try to piece it together from the student's description and the judge's comments. Of course, that means a lot of playing that day for me!
I do that for clarinets, flutes, trumpets, violin and voice (in voice I also accompany the exercise (Dodds pg 7)). It's a real help diagnosing. One of my students in his grade 3 voice acted like a real clown!

#1246389 - 08/09/09 07:48 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I know why parents and teachers aren't allowed into the auditions. It's because, all too often, the judge is accosted, yelled at and even physically threatened when said teacher or parent is upset with the result. Sad, but true.

#1246403 - 08/09/09 08:34 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Minniemay]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I know why parents and teachers aren't allowed into the auditions. It's because, all too often, the judge is accosted, yelled at and even physically threatened when said teacher or parent is upset with the result. Sad, but true.

But don't you get the results four weeks later in the mail? confused

#1246413 - 08/09/09 09:04 PM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: keystring]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
But don't you get the results four weeks later in the mail? confused
Depends on the exam. Here in Oz it's straight away, as you walk out the door.

#1246530 - 08/10/09 02:29 AM Re: what the hell is "positive articulation"? [Re: Mrs.A]
ToriAnais Offline

Ha ha thanks Mrs A!! "secure memorization" I take to be a compliment. To me it means that not only has the student hit all the right notes in the right order, but they have done so confidently, remembering all dynamics and markings and playing with a musical depth that can only come with being very familiar with a piece.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (Atrys, ando, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, 12 invisible), 1125 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission