2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
From the NY TImes:

Piano Competitions' Dark Side

I don't think there is much new here. The arguments against these high level competitions are well known and well rehearsed. But I'm fascinated by the welling up of reform ideas from the players themselves.

P.S. I was unaware of the incident with Schiff. That intrigued me.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Very interesting, piano*dad! I loved the closing quote by Prosseda: "The public doesn't want us to play the standard way perfectly. The public wants us to make them cry.”

I was also intrigued by the accusation made of secret vote-trading among judges. That seems like a pretty serious ethical violation, but no source was attributed for it, nor was any indication given of how widespread that practice is.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I wonder if any of the competitions will eventually fade away because of the huge number of them. The other thing too perhaps the larger conservatories should establish jury and competition standards like they have for juried figure skating and other sports events. This may also cut back on the hogwash that goes with these events.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Good article! I agree that there needs to be some absolute standards for judging (conduct in particular) like there are in figure skating (thanks, John!) and gymnastics.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I like the Pridonoff solution.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There is a lot of things that they can do to improve upon the problem. I was shocked at the number of asain pianists. I thought it would be higher then thirty-five percent. I thought it would be closer to fifty percent. That was close to the ratio I seen when I was in school or doing auditions, competitions ect ect. Though I do leave out Europe.

Even if the competitions were blind. It would still leave the problem of going for the fastest.

i have heard before about the vote trading and i'm not in competitions.

i had read the article yesterday and figured somebody would post it here. I love following the van Cliburn competition.. that would be so neat to be so talented.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jdhampton924

Even if the competitions were blind. It would still leave the problem of going for the fastest.

Do you really think that? I doubt your favorite performances are only the fastest ones. I know mine aren't. There may be a problem in that a judge who has a student competing will recognize his playing, but he shouldn't be a judge anyway

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Do you really think that? I doubt your favorite performances are only the fastest ones. I know mine aren't. There may be a problem in that a judge who has a student competing will recognize his playing, but he shouldn't be a judge anyway

I believe that it would only solve one performance. How does not seeing the performer change if your picking them by speed?

OP Offline
Why would any reputable musician pick winners by speed? I have seen no evidence that musicians are particularly impressed by that feature above all the other features that define musicianship.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I believe that it would only solve one performance. How does not seeing the performer change if your picking them by speed?

Again, who picks a performance for speed? What are you suggesting? Are you saying there should be a way to keep judges from picking the fastest? Is that really a problem? confused

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Again, who picks a performance for speed? What are you suggesting? Are you saying there should be a way to keep judges from picking the fastest? Is that really a problem? confused

No, just saying for those who believe it is a problem. Such as the president of that one competition mentioned in the artical, blind judging is only the first step. But I guess her competition had no reputable musicians.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have enough reservations about piano competitions without contemplating them being judged like a figure skating contest. What an appalling thought.

Perhaps reforms should be along the lines of instituting a panel of judges that is different each year, none of whom are known in advance, and none of whom know one another, and are disallowed from talking to one another. And maybe in this panel of, say, five judges, only two should be pianists. The others might be a violinist, a poet, an actor or a playwright, maybe even a photographer. Maybe there should be no system of judging, and no accountability whatsoever, total subjectivity. They simply vote for whomever they like best. They list the top three in order of preference, and use instant run off voting to determine the winner.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

P
P
Originally Posted by John Citron
...perhaps the larger conservatories should establish jury and competition standards like they have for juried figure skating and other sports events.

It's interesting you should mention ice skating, because that system is famously broken. Torvill and Dean's amazing Let's Face the Music and Dance routine for their Olympic return at Lillehammer took the roof off the stadium but came third because of a technicality.

You can't judge art by the rules of sport.

Last edited by PlayWellOneDay; 08/09/09 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling/dialect
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PlayWellOneDay

Exactly the problem: what do you judge it by then? The number of people in the audience with teary eyes? Bartok may have had the right attitude - just don't participate in an inartistic process.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Well, do keep in mind who said it, and that Tureck isn't around to tell her side of the story. Not that I am any great fan of Tureck and the anecdote could very well be true, but still, it seems a bit uncalled for to present it as something like a fact.

Why would any reputable musician pick winners by speed? I have seen no evidence that musicians are particularly impressed by that feature above all the other features that define musicianship.

Also some people pick emotions over technically sound pieces. That's why you see Lang Lang with his over-the-top gestures to impress the crowd when inside his head he could be faking it. IMHO, in practice when no one is looking, nobody sways around with fake emotion because nobody is watching them during practice. Only during performance when thousands are watching do they sway to move the audience and give it that added effect.

Thank you for the link to the article Piano Dad.

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
OP Offline
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by PlayWellOneDay

Exactly the problem: what do you judge it by then? The number of people in the audience with teary eyes?

Any attempt to micromanage the criteria for judging will fail. But that doesn't seem to be what the more serious reform proposals are about. There are clear incentive issues that need to be addressed so that the basic integrity of the judging isn't the issue. Reasonable people may disagree about which reforms are most important, but I suspect most of us can agree that certain existing facets of contemporary judging are deeply problematic. These problematic issues might include things like judges communicating with each other (explicitly or by body language) and judges rating their own students.

Blind judging is one option, though there are problems with that as well.

If some of the basic ethical conflicts are removed or smoothed, we'll still have the fundamental issue of how one judges among all these truly remarkable players. But that's life. I think the pianists themselves understand that the judgments being made about them are quite subjective. They can live with that. Getting slammed by judge X who wants to make more room on the podium for their own student Y is the bigger problem.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by wr

Well, do keep in mind who said it, and that Tureck isn't around to tell her side of the story. Not that I am any great fan of Tureck and the anecdote could very well be true, but still, it seems a bit uncalled for to present it as something like a fact.

This is quite true. And it also applies to the quote from the disgruntled organizer who complained about judges favoring players who play loud and fast. That is not a 'fact' either, even though the article gives these opinions almost the weight of facts.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Contestants anonymity should be compulsory!

and that wouldn't even sve half the problems.

I just don 't believe in piano cmpetitions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission