Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
157 registered (A Guy, accordeur, anamnesis, ajames, 40 invisible), 1843 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1246638 - 08/10/09 10:22 AM How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: Chopin post.
Place the fingers occupying the high [-black] keys all on one level and do the same for those occupying the white keys, to make the leverage relatively equal; this will curve the hand, giving it the necessary suppleness that it could not have with the fingers straight{curving it to the degree most comfortable to its shape, a suppleness that it could not have with the fingers straight/deleted}. A supple hand; the wrist, the forearm, the arm, everything will follow the hand in the right order. [all italics are Chopin's]
He is saying with a natural hand the keys will shape the fingers, there is no need for any muscle use.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1246644 - 08/10/09 10:35 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Where did you get this, kbk? I would be highly interested to see the rest of it! smile

#1246645 - 08/10/09 10:36 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Horowitzian]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
I was wondering the same thing. The Eigeldinger book?

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1246648 - 08/10/09 10:40 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: sotto voce]
keyboardklutz Offline

Yes, and happy birthday Steven! Horo, if you haven't got Eigeldinger do get a copy. There's not much of Chopin himself though, I'll see what else I can post. You can read some through Google books.

#1246649 - 08/10/09 10:45 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

How about a pupil on his technique from the same book:

#1246651 - 08/10/09 10:48 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Thank you for the advice, kbk. I will see if I can get my hands on that book next time I order from Amazon. I'm still working out what I want in the way of recordings. grin In the meantime, I'll try google books. Thanks! smile

#1246654 - 08/10/09 10:51 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

Here again he's saying how the keyboard is shaped to the hand, not the other way 'round.

#1246656 - 08/10/09 10:53 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
How about a pupil on his technique from the same book:

So are you saying that you've changed your mind about limp (as opposed to 'active')fingers and not applying any weight to the keyboard?

I don't see how a word of this has anything to do with what you were promoting in the other discussion.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 10:54 AM)

#1246659 - 08/10/09 10:55 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Nyiregyhazi

So are you saying that you've changed your mind about limp (as opposed to 'active')fingers and not applying any weight to the keyboard?

I don't see how a word of this has anything to do with what you were promoting in the other discussion.
...the hand should fall softly on the keys just with its own weight.

#1246668 - 08/10/09 11:02 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Yes, and happy birthday Steven! Horo, if you haven't got Eigeldinger do get a copy. There's not much of Chopin himself though, I'll see what else I can post. You can read some through Google books.

I just pulled it up on Google Books. Thanks again!

#1246674 - 08/10/09 11:13 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nyiregyhazi

...the hand should fall softly on the keys just with its own weight.

A confusing expression certainly. However, considering that it also says to keep the wrist free (an impossibility without a stable support at the fingertip), the weight of the foream is also going to be involved in the equation. I don't believe Chopin ever advised anyone to hold their elbow in position, as you do. Seen that anywhere? Assuming he didn't want the elbow held still (hardly a radical hypothesis, judging from what he says elsewhere) the only way to maintain a properly loose wrist is to seek support at a keyboard- by gripping enough to maintain a stable finger and resting upon that finger (ie. by finding a 'living, active link' as it's described here). All, in all, it seems pretty clear that it just means there's no need to actively push.

To translate that to- "don't rest weight on the keys" seems like a rather liberally conceived interpretation. The free wrist hinges on the necessity of weight being properly rested on the keys- just like the expression suggests the pianist should do.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 11:32 AM)

#1246688 - 08/10/09 11:32 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

*ignoring the above user*

#1246689 - 08/10/09 11:33 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

*ignoring the above user*

Some points are just too inconvenient with regard to a preconceived belief, for you to deal with them, eh?

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 11:35 AM)

#1246704 - 08/10/09 11:52 AM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

*Still ignoring the above user* - If he had any decency he wouldn't post in my thread.

#1246723 - 08/10/09 12:28 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

*Still ignoring the above user* - If he had any decency he wouldn't post in my thread.

Sorry, I didn't realise that this was a private shrine to a self-appointed master.

I'm just rather concerned by your wild misinterpretation of that text- and the manner in which you have tried to twist it into supporting that which it clearly does not. This is seriously supposed to be some of the evidence for you ideas about holding your elbow and wrist still- rather than rest some weight on the fingertips?

If you opened your mind enough to consider how much it actually portrays the role of the 'active' (I quote directly) fingers, you might learn something. I particularly like the depiction of sensory awareness at the very tip of the finger. Leave your hand slack and there's very little. Begin to feel the very ends of the fingers just solidfying that tiny bit, however and you have precisely the type of sensation that is described in that passage. And precisely the force that is required to prevent a finger from collapsing when it strikes a key.

Does that not make you stop and think at all? Or are your preconceived opinions so strong that even such a vivid depiction as the one in that text strikes you as illustrating a limp, flaccid finger- that does not actively support any weight at the keys?

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 12:46 PM)

#1246733 - 08/10/09 01:06 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

Obviously no decency.

#1246749 - 08/10/09 01:36 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
No one has yet mentioned that Chopin's technique was behind Chopin's playing, which by all accounts was not as powerful as some of his contemporaries (Liszt, Thalberg, etc...)

Could it be that Chopin's approach to technique is not the only valid approach to piano playing? Liszt's approach seems to have been much different - observers were quick to point out his use of the arms.

It seems to me that many of the recent discussions on arm weight and hand position assume that there is one "best" approach that achieves the greatest artistic products with the most physiological efficient motions.

I would suggest that there are several approaches that are physiologically and artistically valid. Just as Andras Schiff's and Glenn Gould's Bach recordings are both different and illuminating from an artistic standpoint, why can't we bring ourselves to believe that the different physical processes that produce them are also valid?
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1246750 - 08/10/09 01:40 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Kreisler]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
No one has yet mentioned that Chopin's technique was behind Chopin's playing, which by all accounts was not as powerful as some of his contemporaries (Liszt, Thalberg, etc...)

Could it be that Chopin's approach to technique is not the only valid approach to piano playing? Liszt's approach seems to have been much different - observers were quick to point out his use of the arms.

It seems to me that many of the recent discussions on arm weight and hand position assume that there is one "best" approach that achieves the greatest artistic products with the most physiological efficient motions.

I would suggest that there are several approaches that are physiologically and artistically valid. Just as Andras Schiff's and Glenn Gould's Bach recordings are both different and illuminating from an artistic standpoint, why can't we bring ourselves to believe that the different physical processes that produce them are also valid?

Couldn't agree more. The only thing I'd rule out is the such ridiculous ideas as those that exclude the notion that active finger grip can ever be of benefit and that weight should never be deployed through the fingers. Aside from the fact that this is scientifically implausible, it's a tremendous limit to impose on anyone.

Beyond that, the possibilities are virtually limitless. The more different ways of moving you can learn, the better. Anything that restricts you to only hitting the keys from a height or only playing from immediate finger pressure is just that- a restriction. Learn to control as many different approaches as possible, and you can do whatever you want.

PS. It's also worth noting that Chopin was extremely jealous of how Liszt played his etudes. I don't believe this was purely in terms of accuracy etc. Chopin made a number of interesting observations, but who is to say they represent the ultimate secret to the most functional mechanism possible?

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 01:47 PM)

#1246754 - 08/10/09 01:46 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Kreisler]
keyboardklutz Offline

Agreed, but the best approach to Chopin is Chopin's (Mozart, Mozart's).

#1246756 - 08/10/09 01:50 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Agreed, but the best approach to Chopin is Chopin's (Mozart, Mozart's).

Perhaps his music can have justice done to it when it's played by a performer who is in the later stages of tuberculosis?

If I recall correctly, Chopin specifically said that Liszt played his Etudes better than he did.

#1246773 - 08/10/09 02:22 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

For those who may not be aware, Chopin: Pianist and Teacher: As Seen by his Pupils, by Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger, is a wonderful and very significant contribution to the canon of contemporary writings about Chopin, his practices and his methods. Eigeldinger is a distinguished Chopin scholar who, along with the equally eminent John Rink and Jim Samson as co-editors, is preparing new urtext editions for Edition Peters.

kbk, thanks for the birthday wishes. smile

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

#1246774 - 08/10/09 02:25 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

In fact I would go further and suggest the job of a pianist is to know, and where possible reproduce, a composer's technical approach. Here's an interesting picture by Maurice Sand, It shows Chopin discussing this very topic!

#1246846 - 08/10/09 04:41 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: keyboardklutz]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Which begs the question - Did Chopin alter his approach to the piano when playing the works of Liszt or Schumann?
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1246861 - 08/10/09 05:09 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Kreisler]
keyboardklutz Offline

Some how I doubt it besides, I don't think you'd have caught him playing Schumann. More importantly, what, of the many approaches, to take for beginners?

#1246865 - 08/10/09 05:22 PM Re: How to place your hand on the piano by Chopin [Re: Kreisler]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Which begs the question - Did Chopin alter his approach to the piano when playing the works of Liszt or Schumann?

I'm not sure if you're asking whether Chopin altered his approach to play the music of other composers in general—or just composers whose music he didn't find especially appealing. smile

Steven

—Albert Schweitzer

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Production Grand
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:05 PM
Have you seen this person/these people anywhere?
by Mark Davis
11/26/14 03:55 PM
Humming noise with MIDI-IN and LINE-IN
by Frdric L
11/26/14 03:41 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159378 Topics
2341180 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission