Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
90 registered (Alan Cyr, angga888, anamnesis, 19 invisible), 1308 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1247851 - 08/12/09 10:26 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I wouldn't go quite this far:
Quote:
I will be sure to advertise to people that private lessons are vital in the success of music studies later in life.

Some people cannot afford it, and that would be a discouraging message. They are definitely desirable.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1247865 - 08/12/09 10:50 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: keystring]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Rebekah,
You don't strike me as arrogant - just frustrated over the situation.

I would just make sure come off that way if/when you talk to an administrator or someone else about her.

Best of luck.

My daughter had a teacher just like her.

Edited by Phlebas (08/12/09 10:50 AM)

#1248003 - 08/12/09 03:41 PM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Originally Posted By: Rebekah.L

I'm sorry if I appeared to be an arrogant 17 year old, ...

It's not that you sound arrogant. When I said

Quote:
dial back on the "idiot" and "stupid" terms. Your relative age to your teacher has nothing to do with your need to do this. The plain fact is, no matter WHAT the age of you OR your teacher is (even if you were older)...the person doing the 'name calling' is not going to be taken seriously by those you complain to.

I was not just talking about in this instance. This fact of social interaction is a Life Lesson that more people would be better off to learn. In ANY situation, a person who lets their frustration and anger cause them to refer to another party as "idiot" or "stupid" or similar derogatory terms, **is the person who has damaged their own credibility**.

It has nothing to do with being a teenager irritated by an adult. If you were both 40 years old, and you called her stupid, your credibility would be equally damaged by your having done so.

It is a matter of learning how to professionally register a complaint about another person's behavior (in a school situation, a work situation, or a business situation). **The way you do this** will either enhance your credibility with those to whom you speak, or damage your credibility. Your usage of derogatory terms damages your own credibility with listeners, no matter the factual basis of your complaint. That's just a fact of life.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1248049 - 08/12/09 05:00 PM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: Nannerl Mozart]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Rebekah, if, as it seems, you are in year 12 with only a couple of months before final exams (and you must be in the middle of your trials now!) what is she doing having you perform stuff in a concert unrelated to your final exams? I think you have every right to not participate, unless you wanted to run your HSC program, and it sounds like she won't allow that. Every HS music teacher I know is now focused on supporting the HSC (note to non-NSW people = Higher School Certificate, final external high school exams with a lot depending on them, including university admission index) students, not piling extra things on them! It's a very stressful time for most students - so it's no wonder you're a bit overwrought! I'd just focus on what you have to do, and leave this person behind as much as possible.
(Easy to say, I know smile )

#1248242 - 08/13/09 02:12 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: currawong]
pianobuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Rebekah,

Sounds to me like you are experiencing a typical "school" situation. Join the crowd!

Read John Holt. I notice that Kreisler has quoted him in his signature.

You will learn a lot. You are learning alot. Now you know what not to be or do.

Music, imo, is music, no matter what genre. Although personally, a strong foundation in classical rep is very important.

To leave out a genre of music a student wishes to perform, as long as it can be performed well, is music sacralige(sp?).

Maybe she is suppose to be teaching Pop? Not classical. And the school is behind this. That is the only thing that I can see that may give her the right to do what she is doing.

#1248254 - 08/13/09 04:03 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: pianobuff]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
Kreisler, thanks for your comments. The school system is different here, I don't need to do music but at this stage with just a month till the exam I cant just leave it... I dont have any other 'credit points' or 'units' to cover. I dont know how to explain the system but put it this way, I CANT just drop music. Final music exams are thankfully externally marked so I dont need to really worry about her bias. I'm also a vice captain so I say to administation 'oh the music department and the school is just so wonderful' ... the principal knows me and loves me ... but the way it works IS that she IS 'friends' with the music teacher and between the three of us we talk each other up.

With saying all of this, my real concern lies in the crumbling of the music department at my school. Theres nothing in the school system that says she has to do pop, I have explored syllabus content and if anything she is not properly following it. Most other teachers think that she is so nice as a collegue... on the outside she may look to be so nice but looks decieve.

The things she gets students like myself to do is appauling. My parents know bout it and allow it to happen because they tell me that its worse when I get older.

So anyway, I guess there is no reason to be mad. I'm nearly out of school, I'm just really concerned. I told her I cant do anything extra cirricular anymore... told her that I dont think I shold perform and said that my parents arent allowing to that, she said she 'understands'.

Who knows I might become a music teacher in a state school and I might wind up like her.

Its a sticky situation beacuse you see for years I have been her personal assistant, she has pulled me out of class, she has had me take order of many co-cirricular activities, I've praised her and talked highly of her to the principal and excutive staff ... she's praised me infront of staff ... it would look strange if I decided to turn that around.

#1248266 - 08/13/09 05:49 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: Kreisler]
NocturneLover Offline

Loc: Dantooine
I agree Rebekah, your music teacher is stupid. This is strange, usually the teacher wants all the students to play classical and maybe a little jazz.

You said you've already reasoned with your teacher yet she wouldn't listen to your suggestion, why don't you talk to your principal about this...

#1248443 - 08/13/09 11:57 AM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: NocturneLover]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I really think you need to go see the principal - with a parent present - and with your list of specifics that she has done that is unprofessional. You have one month to go, so stick it out, but you can still make the principal aware of this for future students.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1248495 - 08/13/09 12:59 PM Re: Stupid Music Teachers [Re: Morodiene]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Good suggestion from Morodiene... but if even that makes you feel too uncomfortable, you could possibly hold this meeting AFTER you graduate, and/or send a letter afterwards, e.g., in the spirit of "I appreciate greatly the education I have received at your school, but I thought you may want to be aware of some issues that I feel in retrospect were not handled correctly," etc.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159358 Topics
2340907 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission