2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mrs.A Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Some (most) students have a difficult time balancing melody with the accompaniment. How do you teach this? What excursuses do you recommend?

.I tell student to feel more “weight” in the melody hand. I have them practice scales by playing legato in one hand and staccato in the other. I need more ideas.

Thank you.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My first teacher did exactly the same thing. I had no clue what she was talking about nor could I feel any weight in my hands. My hands were light as a feather! It wasn't until I was in college that I began to grasp what she had meant.

So step one is making sure they actually understand what you're telling them.

One method which has worked well for me over the years is to illustrate by gross exaggeration. I play several measures, first with the accompaniment FFF, while the melody is ppp. Then I reverse it.

Then I ask the student which they preferred.

Then I ask them how they might go about doing the same thing. I find students are quite clever when they grasp what your saying.

Once they hear and grasp the concept, their hands seem to follow.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
Mrs.A Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Very good ideas John. Another Question. At what level do you expect to se this in student performances.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I work on it as soon as we start 5 finger patterns. It's so easy to teach then! You can make various coordination exercises out of the patterns, too, so that when they hit it in the literature, they already know how to do it.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mrs.A
Very good ideas John. Another Question. At what level do you expect to se this in student performances.

What I expect, and what students do often show little correlation!

However, I expect it every time they play, and if we need to work on it, improve it a bit, etc., then we do. Students do choke a bit during performances, but generally they do a credible job.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's quite achievable in early grades and as John says, by gross exaggeration. It helps to know the physics (or as another poster puts it 'Physics of the Universe) - To make the melody louder the key has to travel faster. It will reach the bed sooner than the others therefore the melody notes will happen just before the accompanying notes. The brain isn't powerful enough to operate the fingers more accurately. Ultimately it's the ear that does most of the work.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
LEAN and f l o a t!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mrs.A

I see that I failed to answer your question, although several others did. I start teaching voicing, which is what we're really discussing, while they are still in the primer stage. After all, they're here to make music, not just pushing buttons (keys).

K
K
I do something that I call "The Ghost"... picked it up from observing a masterclass session once. It works well for all types of LH patterns, but REALLY well for Alberti bass. It's hard, but students laugh and have fun with it.

Have them use LH alone first. Just touch the keys of the LH pattern, fingers moving and "playing," but don't press the keys down. Then add the RH with it, RH playing strong as usual, but keep LH just touching the notes, and not making any sound. They always giggle when they realize they can't do it.

To help, you can have them play LH up on the fallboard where it doesn't make any sound (while RH plays as usual). That is easier. Then they can take LH back to the keys (still only touching each note but not making any sound) while RH plays.

After this, go back to playing both hands together normally, and they will laugh at how it "magically" helped them play soft LH!

I just reread what I wrote and I hope it is not a confusing description! I love this little trick, and so do the kids.

T
T
Love the idea of "The Ghost", I'm totally stealing that idea laugh

K
K
Steal away, Mitts_off! I totally stole the idea myself! smile

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission