Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1247184 - 08/11/09 10:18 AM Majoring in Music Education?
weldon29 Offline

I'm interested in becoming a music teacher in the future(more specifically a piano teacher).

I'm 16(17 on the 19th) now, taking my ABRSM grade 6 exam this Thursday, and studying harmony. I'm a lot slower than others but my interest in music only about 2 years ago. I made a thread on the pianist forum asking about studying in music in college, but never really thought much about what to study exactly.

When I usually get some new knowledge about music, I have the urge to share it with other musicians who might not know it yet, so I thought of becoming a music teacher(through a period of time)

So I wanted to ask, is it possible for me? What do you actually study if you major in Music Education? And what are to common requirements for it?
I'm also slow in my academics, as I switch to an American home schooling program called AlphaOmega a few years ago. And I'm planning to take the SAT probably in the next 2 or 3 years.

BTW, I live in Malaysia, but will most likely have to study overseas since I don't go to a government public school.

Edited by weldon29 (08/11/09 10:30 AM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1247196 - 08/11/09 10:37 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
There are many classroom music educators who contribute here and who can contribute with more authority than I; let's hope they do.

It is my impression that music educators, that is, a degree from the school of education in music is a teaching degree, which is considerably different than a degree from the school of music in performance. The level of proficiency on the instrument is quite different. In the class room setting, you'll be teaching group lessons, as it were, whether voice, string, or band. There are very few schools which have keyboard programs. None that I know of personally. If you teach privately, you will be expected to be considerably more proficient on your instrument, and thus you would find a degree from the music school in performance more in line with that goal.

Hope this helps and doesn't do an injustice in the process.

John

#1247203 - 08/11/09 10:48 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
In the UK you need nothing to become a piano teacher. To become a school music teacher you need a degree and a post-graduate teaching certificate (1 year).

#1247222 - 08/11/09 11:16 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Just a quick bit of clarification:

In the US, a "Music Education" degree means a degree that includes certification for teaching in the public schools. Jobs available in the public schools typically include General Music at the Elementary Level, and Ensembles (Band/Orchestra/Choir) at the middle and high-school levels. While it is possible to pursue this major in piano, it is very unlikely you'll be teaching piano in any of these settings. Piano classes can occasionally be found in public schools, but it's rare, and almost never a full-time position. Piano positions are either part-time, or one or two classes in addition to general music or ensembles.

To teach privately in the United States, no educational credentials are necessary, but most private teachers will pursue a performance degree in piano. Some schools also offer a degree in piano pedagogy, but the difference between the two is usually semantic. The coursework is almost always identical (or can be made identical by choosing the appropriate electives.) Degrees labeled as "pedagogy" degrees usually do not carry the same performance standard as a performance degree, either at audition or jury exams and recitals. (Not all professors will admit to this, but in practice, it's absolutely true.)

Coming from Malaysia, your best bet would be to pursue a performance degree - and if you're not set on a particular country, consider both the US, England, and Canada. There will be more options for teachers and schools in the US, but the Canadians and English will be more familiar with the ABRSM system you're currently following (which could make for an easier transition.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1247260 - 08/11/09 12:25 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: Kreisler]
keyboardklutz Offline

Just a further quick bit of clarification: few people here do an music education degree here for secondary, mostly primary.

#1247339 - 08/11/09 02:27 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
weldon29 Offline

So it would make more sense if I have performance degree than a teaching degree?
And to study in the U.K. isn't the A levels or O levels needed? Is it possible with just the SAT scores and my GPA average?

#1247344 - 08/11/09 02:39 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: weldon29
So it would make more sense if I have performance degree than a teaching degree?
And to study in the U.K. isn't the A levels or O levels needed? Is it possible with just the SAT scores and my GPA average?
You'd need to inquire with a university which entrance qualifications are required by foreign students.

#1247374 - 08/11/09 03:25 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
weldon29 Offline

Any examples? How does one start by becoming a piano teacher anyway?(If no requirements are needed)

#1247380 - 08/11/09 03:34 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
keyboardklutz Offline

You put up a sign.

#1247436 - 08/11/09 06:10 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Here's how I started teaching:

I was 15 and studying with a wonderful teacher. She asked me to 'practice teach' some younger students for her (under her supervision). After a couple of months I had 3 beginner students of my own. I put up little notices in the neighborhood supermarkets and after a couple of years built up a studio of about 20 students. All the while I was still taking lessons and teaching under the direction of my own teacher. I even attended a couple of piano pedagogy workshops that she did specifically for some of her older teen students who were interested in teaching.

When I was in college (as a music major) I joined my local MTNA branch and was the youngest member at that time to ever join.

The key, in my opinion, is to study with a great teacher and continually be in 'learning mode'. Attend workshops, master classes, take piano pedagogy courses, etc... And actually, I learned the most about teaching BY teaching, seeing what worked and didn't work.

#1247564 - 08/11/09 10:07 PM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
weldon29 Offline

I was reading a wiki page on Piano pedagogy Wikipedia
And it says"At the graduate level, many schools require applicants to have some teaching experience and at least a bachelor of music or equivalent experience in piano performance and/or pedagogy."
Does this mean that in order to have a degree in piano pedagogy, I have to have a bachelor of music degree as well?
Thanks for sharing your experiences as well.

Edited by weldon29 (08/11/09 10:08 PM)

#1247732 - 08/12/09 05:53 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
keyboardklutz Offline

In the UK, after you've done grade 8 you can do any of 3 diplomas with the ABRSM as teaching or performance. There's no college involved, and you're qualified enough to teach anywhere other than state school class teaching,

#1247771 - 08/12/09 08:13 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Gerry Armstrong Offline

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland
Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
In the UK, after you've done grade 8 you can do any of 3 diplomas with the ABRSM as teaching or performance. There's no college involved, and you're qualified enough to teach anywhere other than state school class teaching,

That's not strictly true in the sense that you cannot do the LRSM until you've done the DipABRSM, and you cannot do the FRSM until you do the LRSM.

In addition, if you want to pursue the Teaching diplomas, you also need to have ABRSM Grade 6 Theory for the DipABRSM and ABRSM Grade 8 Theory for the LRSM as well as the DipAbrsm in Teaching.

And as well as the Performance and Teaching diplomas (with 3 levels each) there is also the Music Direction diploma, again at 3 levels.

#1247777 - 08/12/09 08:31 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: Gerry Armstrong]
weldon29 Offline

I would like to enter a college if it is possible though. Is it better if I have a college degree in music such as performance or pedagogy and the ABRSM teaching diplomas?

#1247790 - 08/12/09 08:49 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: weldon29]
keyboardklutz Offline

To study music you have to be interested in it, not just piano playing. If that's the case go to college and become a musician (rather than just a 'pianist' as Leschetizky would say) - a teaching diploma will still be useful.

#1247796 - 08/12/09 09:00 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
You put up a sign.

...I'm off to get a sign made! grin

#1247817 - 08/12/09 09:24 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: cruiser]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: cruiser
You put up a sign.

...I'm off to get a sign made! grin
Don't forget to put 'Pupil of keyboardklutz' on it!

#1247890 - 08/12/09 11:35 AM Re: Majoring in Music Education? [Re: keyboardklutz]
weldon29 Offline

To study music you have to be interested in it, not just piano playing. If that's the case go to college and become a musician (rather than just a 'pianist' as Leschetizky would say) - a teaching diploma will still be useful.

Well I am interested in it, and I do want to become a musician. So I guess I should get both the teaching diploma and a college degree.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 49 invisible), 1428 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission