Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16
Topic Options
#1246499 - 08/10/09 12:30 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Your overbearing, bombastic grandiloquence is tiresome.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1246569 - 08/10/09 06:15 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Good one eweis!

Originally Posted By: Nyiregyhazi
My honest opinion is that you could free yourself up a lot more if you followed the Tai-Chi principles- by aiming to move slowly and comfortably ie. without sudden tensions or release but with constant control.
You obviously know nothing about Tai-Chi either. It's a fighting system based on sudden tensions and release, dummy!

#1246595 - 08/10/09 08:23 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Good one eweis!

My honest opinion is that you could free yourself up a lot more if you followed the Tai-Chi principles- by aiming to move slowly and comfortably ie. without sudden tensions or release but with constant control.
You obviously know nothing about Tai-Chi either. It's a fighting system based on sudden tensions and release, dummy!

Fighting? I thought it was based on exclusively on defence, not fighting. Isn't the emphasis on smoothness and control? I've never seen anyone jerking uncomortably, before flopping about. It always seems very smooth to me. That smooth quality of movement is what you are lacking.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 08:25 AM)

#1246604 - 08/10/09 09:00 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

You haven't studied Tai Chi so you don't know what you're talking about, but then that's very much the Fraser Method. All that glitters isn't gold. If you don't know what's going on that is invisible to the eye you shouldn't be making judgments. That also follows for piano technique.

#1246615 - 08/10/09 09:32 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

You haven't studied Tai Chi so you don't know what you're talking about, but then that's very much the Fraser Method. All that glitters isn't gold. If you don't know what's going on that is invisible to the eye you shouldn't be making judgments. That also follows for piano technique.

Are there any films on youtube of a Tai Chi master who does not move smoothly, but where an alternation between clenched muscles and limp ones can be readily perceived? By all means point me in the right direction,

True, about internal issues. That's why it's important to know how forces balance. It gives you a good idea what's going on unseen by the eye eg. the substantial effort that you're having to use to compensate for your hand never being at rest. Although, that is actually rather evident on the surface, at least to my eyes. The lack of smoothness in the movements is a big give away.

What is always readily in evidence is the sound however. Sorry for being honest, but your lack of control over the sound matches with the immediate exterior. If your playing sounded comfortable, I might not worry about this 'relaxation' approach. When an unusual approach doesn't even produce results for the person who preaches it, I'm afraid that I'm inclined to wonder why anyone else might want to have anything to do with it.

If a cricketer who employed an usual grip had yet to score a single half-century, I wouldn't be particularly concerned by the internal workings. I'd simply start by wondering why he's not tried holding the bat in a comfortable grip. If he was one of the top-scorers in the league, I'd be a little more inclined to consider the inner workings that went into it.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 09:53 AM)

#1246629 - 08/10/09 10:05 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

Are there any films on youtube of a Tai Chi master who does not move smoothly, but where an alternation between clenched muscles and limp ones can be readily perceived? By all means point me in the right direction,

True, about internal issues.
Therefore you have to do it before you comment!

#1246653 - 08/10/09 10:50 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

True, about internal issues.
Therefore you have to do it before you comment!

Interesting certainly. However, even there the quality of movement doesn't suggest uncontrolled tension followed by limpness. Even at speed, it has a poise, that could hardly compared to the way your fingers tense and then collapse in that Schubert.

If you could put the qualities that are seen in the typically slow, solo Tai-Chi movements into your playing, I'm sure you'd find a lot more control. Would I be mistaken in assuming that they teach very slow controlled movements first, before anything explosive?

#1246658 - 08/10/09 10:55 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Found about a month ago:

#1246663 - 08/10/09 10:57 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keystring]
keyboardklutz Offline

So I take it ks you've studied Tai Chi too? Is there some meaning here or just more of your 'research'??

#1246667 - 08/10/09 11:00 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

Interesting certainly. However, even there the quality of movement doesn't suggest uncontrolled tension followed by limpness. Even at speed, it has a poise, that could hardly compared to the way your fingers tense and then collapse in that Schubert.
N, to paraphrase Hilary Clinton - If I walked on water, you'd say I couldn't swim"

Would I be mistaken in assuming that they teach very slow controlled movements first, before anything explosive?
Hey, they do that for piano as well!

#1246670 - 08/10/09 11:05 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keystring]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring
Found about a month ago:

That certainly looks like the kind of quality you could apply to piano playing. Obviously muscles are being relaxed but there's scarcely any perception of that release to be seen in most of the movements. You certainly don't see anything collapsing, after having been abruptly released after an unmanagable tension. Everything is under control and everything is efficient. Above all it's balanced.

I'm afraid that if I were to compare that to the way kbk moves in his Chopin Etude (and above all the Schubert), I'd really struggle to draw a comparison.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 11:08 AM)

#1246671 - 08/10/09 11:09 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

I CANNOT believe you sit there pontificating on Tai Chi! Knowing everything must take all the fun out of life!

#1246673 - 08/10/09 11:11 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]

I do not want to be drawn into the debate and would hate to have this link used for launching criticism against this or that party. For me this video shows a well integrated and balanced body use which happened to correspond to my own needs at the time I created a link to it for myself. If it's useful to anyone - good.

#1246679 - 08/10/09 11:18 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I CANNOT believe you sit there pontificating on Tai Chi! Knowing everything must take all the fun out of life!

I cannot believe that you regard yourself as being well-versed, yet move at the keyboard in a manner that looks so strenuous and uncomfortable. I make no such claims. I'm just interested in the quality of movement.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/10/09 11:19 AM)

#1246682 - 08/10/09 11:20 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
keyboardklutz Offline

This is the limit. I've ignored you.

#1246684 - 08/10/09 11:23 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

N, to paraphrase Hilary Clinton - If I walked on water, you'd say I couldn't swim"

Would I be mistaken in assuming that they teach very slow controlled movements first, before anything explosive?
Hey, they do that for piano as well!

Flopping your hand onto every individual chord in that Chopin Prelude (with your knuckles collapsing by different degrees every time) is supposed be regarded as a 'controlled' movement?

If you should happen to walk on water, I'll happily proclaim you be the Messiah. However, if you struggle to swim more than two or three lengths, I'll question whether you're in much of a position to preach a radical new theory on the secrets of swimming.

#1246687 - 08/10/09 11:31 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

*Ignoring the above user*

#1246712 - 08/10/09 12:12 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]

So I take it ks you've studied Tai Chi too?

Yes, I have studied Tai Chi, though for martial arts proper it was Tae Kwon Do which was for a much longer period.
Quote:
or just more of your 'research'

I have no idea what you mean with the quotation marks or what you are implying. Can you elucidate?
Quote:
Is there some meaning here

Tai Chi, body use, etc. were under discussion. That's what this is. Can you do anything with it?

#1246715 - 08/10/09 12:19 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keystring]
keyboardklutz Offline

Tai Chi, body use, etc. were under discussion. That's what this is. Can you do anything with it?
If I'd wanted to display one of the thousands of videos demonstrating the 24 forms I think I could have managed that all on my own.

#1246720 - 08/10/09 12:22 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If I'd wanted to display one of the thousands of videos demonstrating the 24 forms I think I could have managed that all on my own.

Keystring, are you starting to see why I chose not to hold back from launching an honest criticism?

#1246721 - 08/10/09 12:23 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
keyboardklutz Offline

No need to read that one to know what it says.

#1246735 - 08/10/09 01:08 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]

It is unfortunate if that is all you could understand from my act of posting that video in particular. Thanks anyway.

#1247806 - 08/12/09 09:12 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
Phil Best Offline

Loc: Fulham, London, UK
This is an interesting topic and a very useful discussion.

For me the trick is to undo the cause of the tension. Poor rhythmic awareness creates tension as does the feeling of pressure to “get it right” or too much critical thinking.

Lack of awareness of technique can also be the cause. A strong but relaxed claw-shaped hand is necessary. Often there is too much finger movement and pressing down on the keys; also supporting the arm weight with the finger rather than with the arm itself creates problems especially if there is insufficient arm rotation.

But poor rhythm remains the primary cause of tension in playing. A natural, flowing sense of pulse coordinates body and mind and generates a relaxed but focused attitude.

#1247814 - 08/12/09 09:21 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Phil Best]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Phil Best

Lack of awareness of technique can also be the cause. A strong but relaxed claw-shaped hand is necessary.
No such thing as a relaxed but shaped hand.

also supporting the arm weight with the finger rather than with the arm itself creates problems especially if there is insufficient arm rotation.
Yes

But poor rhythm remains the primary cause of tension in playing. A natural, flowing sense of pulse coordinates body and mind and generates a relaxed but focused attitude.
Catch 22 here, though more likely the other way 'round - tension leads to poor rhythm.

Thanks for the input!

#1247912 - 08/12/09 12:15 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Phil Best]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This is an interesting topic and a very useful discussion.

For me the trick is to undo the cause of the tension. Poor rhythmic awareness creates tension as does the feeling of pressure to “get it right” or too much critical thinking.

Lack of awareness of technique can also be the cause. A strong but relaxed claw-shaped hand is necessary. Often there is too much finger movement and pressing down on the keys; also supporting the arm weight with the finger rather than with the arm itself creates problems especially if there is insufficient arm rotation.

I can't really agree with that. An unsupportive hand can cause poor rhyhm, through insufficient control. I've heard this stuff from Abbey Whiteside, but she really seems to be describing the end product that can result when the means are working adequately. When those means are not working (and tension is poorly controlled, rather efficiently deployed for its purpose), you end up with a lack of 'rhythm'. It's a two way equation where either side can be the source of a problem.

I totally agree on the hand though. It's not strictly 100% relaxed but when properly managed, what matters is that it does still feel very comfortable- provided that you've learned exactly how much grip is necessary. Any hand that actually IS relaxed is no use, because it collapse into the keys. Far better to maintain a small focussed tension, than to have to try and make an enormously intricate adjustment every time you strike a key. That level of control is only available to a true genius. Those who don't have that level of control frequently end up with tensions that are vastly greater than in those who simply maintain a slight grip. That was certainly the case with myself, when I use to aim for a 'relaxed' hand. I alternated between destructive tensions and release. Far better to maintain light tensions, that do not stress the muscles to the point of any discomfort.

Also, I believe that the fingers can be asked to support too much of the arms weight, but it always has to be a balance between support from different areas. The arm takes some and the fingers take some. There are many different balances that can work. However, stretch the equation too far either way and you can overwork one. It all depends on the individual student.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/12/09 12:23 PM)

Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (AZNpiano, AndrewJCW, andwi, a-z0-9, 24 invisible), 1300 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156116 Topics
2292543 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission