Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, Achilleas, A-Tom, A Guy, 39 invisible), 2036 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1248288 - 08/13/09 07:37 AM Help buying a Boston GP 178?
Joanne Zhang Offline

Okay, so now I've chosen the Boston 178. After tax, my trade-in taken off, and a few discounts, the final price was around $19,500. Is this a good price for $3000 off a a Boston GP 178? The dealer said an average GP 178 in Mahogany is around $30,000. Also, should I hire a technician to evaluate it, or is that unneccessary? And if it is necessary, how much would I have to pay?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1248289 - 08/13/09 07:39 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Am I correct in assuming this is a brand new piano? If so, there's no need to have it evaluated by a tech.

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1248347 - 08/13/09 09:47 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: M.O.P.]
Joanne Zhang Offline

Yes, it's a new piano. So I don't need a technician?

#1248385 - 08/13/09 10:36 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Joanne Zhang
Yes, it's a new piano. So I don't need a technician?

No.

#1248402 - 08/13/09 11:04 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Plowboy]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, if you really like the piano, then you'll be in good shape. I always wonder, though, why people for the same price won't go for the next larger Kawai RX series grand. Bostons are great instruments and so are Kawai RX grands, no surprise as they are both made by Kawai.

#1248432 - 08/13/09 11:43 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: SeilerFan]
Joanne Zhang Offline

Sorry- my son's piano teacher says we should try many piano dealerships before coming to a consensus- looks like we will be searching around a little longer...

#1248448 - 08/13/09 12:06 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: SeilerFan]
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
Originally Posted By: SeilerFan
.......I always wonder, though, why people for the same price won't go for the next larger Kawai RX series grand. Bostons are great instruments and so are Kawai RX grands, no surprise as they are both made by Kawai.

Ditto on that.

If you're budget is ~20k after a 3k trade-in, take a look at the Kawai RX-3 (6'1"), or save money and go with the RX-2. Kawai has the millenium III action (Boston does not), which is a bonus for the Kawai (in MY opinion).

Don't let the Boston dealer tell you the Kawai action is cheap plastic--this is what I was told by the Boston/Steinway dealer in the beginning of my piano search. That statement only reinforced his ignorance.

Good luck, take your time, and buy the piano that evokes an emotional response in you when you see it, touch it, and most importantly--play it (or listen to it if you don't play...)

If the Boston evokes that response, then by all means, BUY IT!

#1248974 - 08/14/09 09:18 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Brent B]
Joanne Zhang Offline

The Boston dealer spent minutes and minutes talking about how Boston is partly hand made, and Kawai is just plastic. They also lectured on how the soundboard of Boston is larger, and the strings produce 4 more inches of sound. He was also against Yamaha- he told us about how Yamaha is for hard rock, not classical music. In the end, I still bought the brand new Boston GP 178 for around $19,000, which I think is a pretty good deal! My son is very excited for it to deliver on Wednesday.

#1248982 - 08/14/09 09:33 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
An interesting post, Joanne. Do I take it that you didn't really believe what the salesperson told you about the competition, but bought the Boston anyway (the one with the loose action, if I remember what you said earlier)? Would you mind telling us what it was that appealed to you about it? I realize it will be purely personal. We can leave aside that you felt the deal was acceptable, and since we know you did some looking around already, maybe we can also leave aside your teacher's advice to try many other dealers. You may not have had the time or energy to run the gauntlet of the dealerships over and over, and you know shopping--- some can't get enough of it, some find what they want and then stop there.

Anyway, the Boston--- what was it that made you want it?

#1248997 - 08/14/09 10:10 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Brent B Offline

Loc: Western/Central PA
Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure you'll get a lifetime of enjoyment out of your new piano.

It really frustrates me, however, that so many Steinway/Boston dealers are spewing this nonsense about the competition.

Steinway is a solid company--their dealers should not feel compelled to put down the competition.

I started a new thread on this so as not to hijack this one--so if anyone wants to comment on the "Kawai is cheap plastic nonsense" please see the new thread.

Again, congrats on the purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1249000 - 08/14/09 10:13 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Joanne Zhang Offline

My son tried out several pianos at many different stores- and he liked the Boston pianos better. There was this one particular Boston piano which he said that he loved the tone (however the Steinway Model B's were much better, but completely unaffordable), so we decided to buy it. Really the dealer annoyed me a bit, however he was nice enough to include a complimentary chair and 4 tunings.

#1249007 - 08/14/09 10:21 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I think liking the tone is a very good reason, personally.

Pianos always come with benches. For a young child, an adjustable artist bench might be a good upgrade. The four tunings is a good deal, they often offer only one or two. A brand-new piano will need to be tuned four times the first year, as the strings stretch under up to twenty tons of pressure. The tuning stability should stabilize in time.

#1249443 - 08/14/09 09:41 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
Joanne Zhang Offline

Hi PW-
One of my dealers has just found a GP 193 in the Jordan Kitt's warehouse. The other Jordan Kitt's dealer and I are a bit suspicious at how fast they found it- but we still tried it out. It contains a grand and rich tone, and my son loved it! However he made very special requests to the technician- such as tightening the keys, "mellowing" the sound to more of a Steinway, and evening the pitches of each note. The final price for the 193 after liquidiation was $24k- I am looking forward to have it delivered to my home!

#1249452 - 08/14/09 10:05 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
You might want to hold off paying until the piano has been modified to your son's requirements. I would.

The "mellowing" to be more like a Steinway is a little confusing. Can you describe this piano's current tone, when compared to a similar size Steiny?

#1249458 - 08/14/09 10:09 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Jeff Clef]
masaki Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Joanne,
Six years ago, I and my daughter who was in a junior-high went to a Kawai store and tried on a Kawai RX6, Kawai SK2 and Boston GP178 which were in a same price range and put on a same room of the building. It did not take more than an hour to pick the GP178 for us. The GP178 we saw at the store was much more preferable for us than the other two. And we are still using the GP178.
Congratulations for choosing the GP178 and winning the four free tunings. My GP178 has been being maintained by a Kawai MPA since I bought the GP178. I was very much impressed by his remarkable job when he came to my home first time. In my case, the first three tunings by him was free. I hope the free four tunings and succeeding ones on your GP178 will be made by a technitian who is eligible for tunig Boston pianos. Do not let any techs who have such opinion that Bostons are over-priced RXs touch your GP178.

good luck on choosing techs..

#1249464 - 08/14/09 10:19 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: masaki]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hmm...

August 13th (yesterday) you wrote that you hadn't looked at many dealers.

You didn't like the salesperson.

You say your son liked the tone, but then say that he requested serious changes in it (mellower, change in the action, and "evening" the pitches)

You wrote that you're suspicious about your dealer (though it's unclear why).

Baldwin Model R; Hardman 5'9" grand; Rieger-Kloss vertical

Jazz, pop and classical

#1249474 - 08/14/09 10:34 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Brent B]
koiloco Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
wow !

I wish I knew about Boston.
Too late now smile I could have had a Steinway piano instead of my crappy, plastic-filled RX5.

Life is so unfair...

Gratz on your new Kawai piano.

#1249738 - 08/15/09 11:24 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: charleslang]
Joanne Zhang Offline

My son thought the tone was very grand and rich but needs to be a little mellower. On August 13th, the first trip to the Fairfax JKM, the dealer said they ran out of 193's. Yesterday, on August 14th, she said they just sent a 193 from the warehouse to their store, so I am a little suspicious on that.

Edited by Joanne Zhang (08/15/09 11:29 AM)

#1249742 - 08/15/09 11:28 AM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: FogVilleLad]
Joanne Zhang Offline

Most of the other 178s were very mellow and a bit muffled. However this 193 is bright and my son wants it to be a little more mellow.

#1249838 - 08/15/09 02:30 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: Joanne Zhang]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Joanne, Ok, understood.

Voicing is an advanced skill. You might want to have your son be present when it's being done.

In general it's a good idea to voice a *little* at a time.

#1249913 - 08/15/09 05:40 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: FogVilleLad]
koiloco Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Voicing a brand new piano in a temporary environment ?

Not a good idea.

If you really like the piano, arrange for the "free"
voicing to be done at your home later on after the piano has time to settle
in its new home.
That's why it's important to buy a piano with a basic, fresh tone that you like
before any voicing.

Just my 2c

#1249965 - 08/15/09 07:08 PM Re: Help buying a Boston GP 178? [Re: koiloco]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quite true; the piano is best voiced to the room, and after the instrument has settled after being moved. There's more to voicing than just working the hammers--- the instrument has to be in tune and in regulation.

I wonder if this instrument has already had the hammers altered by hardening them with lacquer, if it sounds so noticeably different from the others of the same model. It's often hard to tell in the showroom how it's going to sound at home.

Are you in a great hurry? This is not the only Boston 178 in the world; they can surely order more (it could already be in progress, especially if they're selling so well they've run out of stock).

If you don't find the evenness of action, tone, and voicing acceptable in the showroom, maybe this is not the instrument for you. It's likely you can keep the same deal that's in place, but try some more examples of the model you like, until you and your son find one you think is just about right.

Short of that, I would not accept delivery until the piano sounds and feels acceptable, before the dealer ships it. If you haven't written down the serial number already, this might be a good time to see to it. It will help you to know you've received the same piano you've played and ordered, and it will let the seller know, in a perfectly nice way, that you didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday morning.

Edited by Jeff Clef (08/15/09 07:20 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I don't feel challenged...am I moving too fast?
by Guitar&Piano
20 minutes 45 seconds ago
advice about the right choice
by Achilleas
37 minutes 18 seconds ago
Will smaller monitor speakers limit the low end of a DP?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 03:37 PM
Thoughts on Sound Imagination and Tone production
by music32
Today at 02:02 PM
The DGX 650 Club
by beebop
Today at 01:13 PM
Forum Stats
77031 Members
42 Forums
159320 Topics
2340352 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission