Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 49 of 101 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#1248531 - 08/13/09 01:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie
Hi All.

I finally finished Pomp and Circumstance!!! I thought I would bump this thread by posting my recording of it. This piece took me forever.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qyk9rqd0j

Great Job. Excellent control throughout and dynamics. You really nailed that one!

I read your other thread on the Piano Teachers Forum. I didn't respond since I'm not a piano teacher. However, I can heavily relate to your experiences. My last piano teacher was nearly identical to how you described yours: very agreeable and nice, yet not able to teach any technique or theory or anything useful for my piano abilities. About 6 months ago I decided it was enough, and quit taking lessons from her. I decided I would finish Book 2 on my own then seek a qualified instructor. That is exactly what I did, and I had my first meeting with her yesterday. The difference was profound: with the simple (and free) introduction meeting she pointed out so many things and gave so much advice on technique and theory that I was baffled, but baffled in a great way.

I would first speak with your instructor candidly about your concerns and see if a resolution can be successfully met. If not, Use the MTNA's website and look for a registered piano teacher there. Many are university faculty and may not "take on" beginner piano students, but I guarantee they will know of great piano teachers in your area and will help you establish yourself with one.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1248565 - 08/13/09 03:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks Waltz for both the compliment and the advice. I will definitely have a frank conversation about my progress with her. If it doesn't work out, I will try the MTNA's website to find a new teacher.

I'm so glad that your new teacher is better at helping you progress.

I have now moved on to Swingin' Sevenths. Seems like a fun piece.

How are you doing over in 3?

Edited by HeirborneGroupie (08/13/09 03:13 PM)

#1248628 - 08/13/09 05:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm spending too much time on Solace! Even though I got the song down fairly well, I keep making one or another mistake whenever I start recording it! It's very frustrating...I know I have the tempo, the detached left hand, everything correct, but something happens every time I start recording, especially when I get to the ending. If I have to do a live recital, I will definitely mess up! I have to quit it now and move over to La Bamba. Sheesh.

#1248648 - 08/13/09 05:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
nancy_w Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Music_in_Me: I have the very same issue with the song I'm trying to record. I think I've tried at least 50 times to record it and mess up one thing or another in it. Hitting wrong notes on sections I normally do fine on; or messing up something I thought I had fixed, or who knows. It's so frustrating!

I don't know how people can play stuff perfectly for their videos. I'd really like to get a good recording of this song. I try to play it slowly, or the different sections; but then I just mess up again when I try the whole song. I don't think I've played the whole thing perfectly in a looooooooooong time.

What do you do when this happens? Just move on? Do you come back to it later? Advice anyone? Thanks smile

#1248674 - 08/13/09 06:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nancy_w
What do you do when this happens? Just move on? Do you come back to it later? Advice anyone? Thanks smile

This is what I do. Just upload the darn thing:

Solace

#1248680 - 08/13/09 06:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

HBG,

Book 3 is going well, but I'm still near the beginning where the pieces aren't too hard. From what I can tell, after the piece on which I currently am, things really move up to the next level.

Is sight reading a part of your routine? The reason I ask is because I have just started to incorporate it into my practice time.

#1248682 - 08/13/09 06:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me

Solace

Sounded very nice to me, good job smile

#1248683 - 08/13/09 07:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Music_in_Me: I have the very same issue with the song I'm trying to record. I think I've tried at least 50 times to record it and mess up one thing or another in it. Hitting wrong notes on sections I normally do fine on; or messing up something I thought I had fixed, or who knows. It's so frustrating!

I don't know how people can play stuff perfectly for their videos. I'd really like to get a good recording of this song. I try to play it slowly, or the different sections; but then I just mess up again when I try the whole song. I don't think I've played the whole thing perfectly in a looooooooooong time.

You only have two days left, get to work grin

#1248684 - 08/13/09 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Waltz

Solace

Sounded very nice to me, good job smile

I agree! There might have been mistakes, but not hugely jarring ones. When I make a mistake - its HUGE and you notice. LOL

#1248689 - 08/13/09 07:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

My main problem in this recorded version is the ending

Waltz, what do you mean by sight reading being part of your routine? Most of the songs I play, I do with my eyes glued to the page. If I don't look I get lost, unless I have already memorized the song. Perfect sight reading, to me, is when one is able to play a song for the first time by just reading the notes on spot. This might be doable for easy songs, but I can't see how anyone can do it for, say, most of Book 2 pieces, but I have heard that some people actually can do it.

Anyway, I have a link to some web site that has a java applet that you can run to practice note reading, if you need one, let me know, I'll look it up.

#1248718 - 08/13/09 07:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Chopin said that "every difficulty slurred over will become a ghost to haunt you later".

If you "slur over" too many difficulties in too many pieces you'll end up with a piano full of ghosts.

Difficult sections in pieces need to be mastered - sooner or later. Do the best you can now. If you get frustrated let it rest awhile and move on. But - you must come back. 4 weeks or 4 months later - it doesn't matter. Continue hammering away at the sections again, and again, and once again. Even if still not perfect you've instilled the proper habit and mindset. Reinforce this constantly. Refuse to accept "good enough".

Red Dot Fever cure: don't even turn the red dot on until you can play a piece to your complete satisfaction all the way thru - without the red dot - a number of times. Otherwise you're simply recording a practice session. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not what you want here. And if the recording process makes you nervous, then actually do routinely record all of your practice sessions - you just never know what you might capture.

Regards, JF

Edit for spelling.

Edited by John Frank (08/13/09 08:00 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1248737 - 08/13/09 08:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: TrapperJohn]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

MiM,

By sight reading I mean: playing a piece you've never before seen, beginning to end, to the best of your ability, without stopping, and only playing it that one time and then moving on to the next piece. The point is to improve your direct note reading-hand coordination ability.

Of course, this absolutely cannot be performed on pieces at your level; it must be done on pieces well below your level. My new teacher let me borrow some simple beginner piano books to use; but it still is extremely, extremely difficult for me. That is one skill I really need to improve.

BTW, I am interested to hear everyone on Book 2's thoughts on sight reading and if/how they do it!

PS: Nice post JF, I agree very much.

#1248939 - 08/14/09 07:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
dukeofhesse Offline

Loc: wilmington nc
I am wrapping up the level one book and any day now will be joining you guys in this thread, but I have a question that relates to book one.

I am about to start Amazing Grace and it looks a bit daunting. Seems like fingers go all over the place. My question is for anyone who might recall working on the piece; how difficult was it, how long did it take to get a decent rendition, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, and hope to see you all soon.

#1248962 - 08/14/09 08:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Hi Waltz.

The only sight reading I get to do is when I start a new piece. My teacher makes me run through it on first sight, hands separate.

There is a great application on the web called Fast Keys. It's fun and it helps a lot with fast note recognition. Here's the link.

http://martypapa.blogspot.com/2009/07/fast-keys-20.html

#1249002 - 08/14/09 10:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Waltz.

You and the teachers on the PTF have inspired me to look for a new teacher. Thank you. I could be so much farther along than I am.

#1249030 - 08/14/09 10:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or/Las Vegas, Nv
Waltz. My teacher just started me on a sight reading program. I bought a book, its an alfreds supplement, called Sight Reading. There are several. My teacher picked level 2b for me. Its written for kids but I got over that. It teaches you to reconize the notes, intervals and rythyms by doing little exercises. You are supposed to play a page "prima vista" for your teacher at your weekly lesson, then you practice that page during the next week. Boy am I bad at this. Hopefully I'll get better.

Dukeofhesse. Amazing Grace really wasn't too bad after The Entertainer. But it took me a couple of three weeks to get it down to a level where I could record it. I haven't played it in awhile, so its mostly gone. I should practice it somemore and get it in my repitore.

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 2 Danny Boy, Canon in D, Simply Joplin Bethena Solace.

#1249042 - 08/14/09 11:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone know of any application (preferably free) which you can use to do sight reading using your own musical keyboard, not a virtual one? Years ago, I did buy such a program, and it was quite good, as you just look at the screen and play the notes directly on the keyboard. There is one that does the same using your computer keyboard keys, which is ugly.

#1249199 - 08/14/09 02:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

HBG,

Thanks for the response and link. I think you made a good decision to look for a new teacher; hopefully your current one will be understanding. Please keep us up to date with your search smile

wj3

Thanks for your response. A huge aspect of sight reading is interval recognition, so that book sounds really helpful. I may ask my instructor what she thinks about it. Don't worry about not being great at sight reading; I am just terrible at it right now. Hopefully we'll both improve as we practice.

#1249814 - 08/15/09 01:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

I've almost got Swingin' Sevenths down. This one was much easier than P+C.

#1249879 - 08/15/09 04:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

HG, good job! I remember how I found later songs sometimes easier than earlier ones, which is cool.

#1250240 - 08/16/09 10:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Hi Everyone,
I have just finished Book 1 and will be starting Book 2 next week. I know a few people from the Book 1 thread and will try to back read this thread to see who all is here and what they are working on.

#1250248 - 08/16/09 11:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Strings & Wood]
wj3 Offline

Welcome Carl.... Really glad to have you join us here.... Like I said over in the book 1 thread, Ive been kind of stalled in book two. We had a family crisis for the last two weeks but things are finally settling down now. I have been working on Guantamera and the Theme from Raymond. So maybe we can join forces and try to get through the book togeather.......

Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 2 Danny Boy, Canon in D, Simply Joplin Bethena Solace.

#1250336 - 08/16/09 02:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Carl and Wj3, welcome aboard. I joined just a little over a month ago, and I'm sure you will like it here with everyone being as helpful as possible, me included.

#1250387 - 08/16/09 04:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Hi wj3
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here.I have my AIO book two/cd ordered and should be here next week. I have the Basic Adult Book two and was thumbing though it today. I also have the Basic Theory level two which I will be using as well. My sight reading is improving and I am no longer writing in the names of all of the notes on paper (such a pain & messy). That was a terrible habit to get in to.
"Down in the Vally" first up... more broken chords.

Hi Music in Me
Thanks for the welcome.

#1250647 - 08/17/09 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
angelas Offline

Loc: New Zealand (South Pacific, Do...
Originally Posted By: wj3
Welcome Carl.... Really glad to have you join us here.... Like I said over in the book 1 thread, Ive been kind of stalled in book two. We had a family crisis for the last two weeks but things are finally settling down now. I have been working on Guantamera and the Theme from Raymond. So maybe we can join forces and try to get through the book togeather.......

I really like that Theme from Raymond but I'm not too fussed on Guantanamera. I'm playing ot Ok but the song never appealed to me. I find that the songs I like are the ones I play best. I wonder if others find this too? I hated playing Amazing Grace from the first book.

#1250686 - 08/17/09 10:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: angelas]
wj3 Offline

angelas. I feel the same way about Guantanamera. It really doesn't do much for me. I did like Amazing Grace though.

Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1250706 - 08/17/09 10:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just remember that learning is a process and you have to take the good and the bad with it. Guantanamera is really a fun song to play once you feel it and feel comfortable playing it. With it you learn how the melody melts into the base in a nice way as in the 4th measure. Also, there is a nice chord segment where both hands play the same chords... all sound good and fun to play. Check the link in my profile where I did a crude recording of it, and also hear how others play it.

#1251066 - 08/17/09 10:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
angelas Offline

Just remember that learning is a process and you have to take the good and the bad with it. Guantanamera is really a fun song to play once you feel it and feel comfortable playing it. With it you learn how the melody melts into the base in a nice way as in the 4th measure. Also, there is a nice chord segment where both hands play the same chords... all sound good and fun to play. Check the link in my profile where I did a crude recording of it, and also hear how others play it.

I absolutely agree and it's only because I'm pig-headed that I'll sit at the keybard and try to 'perfect' a piece that I'm not overly fussed on simply because I know I have to. I must go back and try my luck again with Amazing Grace and Singing in the Rain. Aaarrggghhh

#1251090 - 08/17/09 10:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: angelas]
wj3 Offline

Me too. I spent my whole practice working on Guantanamera today. Its getting better and I am actually starting to enjoy it. It still needs alot of work so I guess I'll continue with it......

Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1251167 - 08/18/09 05:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: wj3]
angelas Offline

I've found that my sight-reading is starting to finally develop but I have to resist the urge to look at the keys. I figured that if I can touch-type, then I should be able to 'touch play'! It's frustrating, but I reckon I can't really move on until I get that right. More aaarrrghhh!

Page 49 of 101 < 1 2 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to look for in a keyboard
by Tikki56
10/01/14 06:30 PM
Christmas duets for Student and Teacher
by Purpl3keys
10/01/14 06:24 PM
The Steinway S in 1936
by Rich Galassini
10/01/14 06:21 PM
Yamaha CP5
by Synner
10/01/14 05:43 PM
Vice grip needle nose threaded bolt dimensions
by Olek
10/01/14 05:10 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ajames, ando, 39 invisible), 1342 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76396 Members
42 Forums
157933 Topics
2319399 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission