2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
In all fairness to the teacher in question, perhaps he made a bad judgment call in choosing his piece to perform. We do not know what he played, only that he was not prepared to play it and he played it poorly. Perhaps he simply chose a piece that was technically too demanding to be able to play well without preparation, and he can in fact play quite well?

Also, John, to address your question about the quality of piano int the teacher's studio, I think this says a lot about the teacher. However, I know that some teachers in institutions get the bottom rung instrument because they are new to the school. In that case, I wouldn't judge the teacher by that (but I'd definitely address that issue with the director). Not every great teacher will have a Steinway grand, either. If they are new or run a smaller studio, they may not be able to afford an excellent piano. They should however, have a decent instrument in good repair and well-maintained (including tuned).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have been reading about piano teachers being good teachers but unable or unwilling to "perform" for an interviewee. Some think there are other indicators of success as a teacher (John had a long and thrilling list) and yes, these are excellent examples of a "professional" teaching environment.

However, I think what the interviewee is asking for is to hear and see an example of the teacher's musicianship for the enjoyment of it. It seems to me to be more of an enthusiasm that they are thinking, I can't wait to start lessons with this teacher! What does this beautiful piano sound like when played by a professional musician? :They are looking for a visual and aural and kinesthetic experience at their interview not just information about you and a business agreement. They want to hear the music because it would be a catalyst to them. They may need the emotional and musical experience to cement their decision.

You know in the movies how the music fits the scene and you hear something magnificent and appropriate at the high moments? That is the effect they are looking for. To not be willing to do this for them or to be unable to play well enough they may take two steps back from the "rapture" they were looking for in you.

I hope this makes a little sense. We know as teachers that we have to communicate to the student in their learning style in a language they easily understand, and that we can build from there to increase their knowledge. But, there has to be a connection with them so they feel, see, hear, verify that the decision to start lessons with us is going to work for them.

There are probably lots of adult students circling around studios out there uncertain of making a decision - maybe they have even have interviewed and still are uncertain as to getting started. Maybe for them this is the missing ingredient that didn't happen at the interview. Playing the piano for our interviews demonstrates our musicianship - we can tell people how great we are or we can show them. Which do you think is the better example that will make a difference to them? Of course, it would be a great sales tool to be able to demonstrate that we can teach them, tell them, and show them our capabilities and capacity.

Part of the interview IS a marketing situation, isn't it? There needs to be agreement and closure on the decision to move forward together. Being aloof is not going to cut it if you think of interviews as recruitment and confirmation ventures in our search for good students to work with. I think we need to strut our stuff in the interview so there is no doubt in their mind that we are who we say we are as teachers and musicians.

And, what do they say about the first impression being the strongest? Let's not forget there is a "psychology" to this, too. To me that means being social and easy to be with during the interview. One of our jobs is to remove and tame obstacles, I think. We can be our own worst obstacles in interviews if we don't understand the objectives and skills of conducting an interview.

There is certainly enough said here as food for thought if one will actually entertain the thoughts and not just quickly react to them and dismiss them. Stimulation is one of the things I enjoy most about participating in Piano World.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I'm sure there are perfectly fine teachers out there who could introduce a beginner to the wonders of the keyboard, yet who cannot play the techniques that they teach.

Good Grief! How on earth can it be "perfectly fine" for a "teacher" to be unable to play the techniques of beginner music?

I am Flabbergasted.

I misspoke. I did not mean to imply that it would be fine if the teacher couldn't play the beginner techniques s(he) was teaching. But if the teacher could not play at an advanced level that would not be the kiss of death for their ability to teach and to motivate beginners.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude

However, I think what the interviewee is asking for is to hear and see an example of the teacher's musicianship for the enjoyment of it. It seems to me to be more of an enthusiasm that they are thinking, I can't wait to start lessons with this teacher! What does this beautiful piano sound like when played by a professional musician? :They are looking for a visual and aural and kinesthetic experience at their interview not just information about you and a business agreement. They want to hear the music because it would be a catalyst to them. They may need the emotional and musical experience to cement their decision.

Very well stated! I agree that this is probably the dynamic that is going on when beginners ask the teacher to play for them.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to teach cello. I don't remember anyone asking me to play before they signed up for lessons, but I certainly would have complied. I think it's a totally reasonable request.

It really bothers me how so many people decide they can earn a few bucks by teaching but don't really know how to either teach or play. Caveat emptor ...

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kanadka
wow, thank you everyone. Reading this actually helped me to understand what I was looking for - a teacher who still loves music and plays for the love of music. This person undoubtedly will be able to play a piece they love. But let's say in case they were taking a summer of playing and don't have anything in memory, I'd still expect them to pick up a level 1 book and sight read something from there.

I can see how someone could be a better teacher then they are a musician, but don't forget we are taking about beginning level here. I need not only theory, I also need some inspiration. Sure I can listen to Yundi Li on YouTube. But with a teacher - wouldn't you want to be inspired to be able to play "like this" some time - the pieces on your level!!! to make them sound beautiful. How the heck can it be explained in words if the teacher cannot play.

On the advanced level it might work, thus teachers who cannot play themselves, or hockey coaches who do not play. But not at the beginner level I think.

As an adult student looking for a teacher, you're not necessarily searching for the same set of abilities in a teacher that a parent may be searching for. However, I suggest you seriously regard the import of teacher certification. A teacher with certification has demonstrated mastery - of playing and teaching. One without certification may be every bit as good, but you have no knowledgeable, independent corroboration of this. Even if you love his playing, you don't have anything to compare his teaching with. You may be progressing at one-half the speed you could have achieved with a better teacher. Certification is your starting point here. Teachers who have worked their butts off to earn certification are justifiably proud of their accomplishments, and you will find that certification posted prominently in the studio. If you don't see one, ask. You can also inquire where they studied, who they studied with, what degrees they earned, etc., You can also ask if they had a performance career, or if they play routinely in public. These are questions you should be asking teachers.

Just some suggestions to help you out here.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
K
Kanadka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude

Betty, beautifully said. This is exactly what I was looking for. Wish I could study with you smile

K
Kanadka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

Just some suggestions to help you out here.

thank you, John, appreciate it

M
M
Betty,
I agree with what you've said wholeheartedly. I wonder, though, do you insist on playing for every student you interview? Or do you only play if they ask?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
I'd expect a teacher to be able to do both well, and can't fathom the polarization of the two skills. This is why teaching piano for a living is work. A brilliant performer may stink as a teacher; and if a teacher can't actually play, I'd shuck both of them. Why? Think about what it means.

Wouldn't you want as a teacher someone who really likes to play? Someone who enjoys it, who tinkers with things, messes with their favorite pieces, HAS favorite pieces, sits down when they have some free time and just noodles around with something for a few hours on the weekend at least until they get it to their satisfaction? heck, it's what I expect to do, and I work a ten-hour-a-day-job with two hours of commute time and need rather a lot of sleep.

If you asked someone to play something, and they had nothing to hand -- not even something casual, wouldn't that seem to indicate that, left to their own devices, the person you want to show you your way around this instrument just can't be arsed to do it themselves? I would expect someone who likes to play to actually do it and hence have a few things up their sleeve if you asked at any one time. I wouldn't treat them like an ipod, but if the guy wasn't prepared with anything, that means that he wasn't even bothering to sit at the thing and screw around in his own spare time.

How are you supposed to find your way around the thing if the person who is supposed to be showing you your way would apparently rather be spending their free time watching TV than playing?

And I don't have a problem expecting advanced skills in a beginner teacher, either. The teacher who started me out (and stayed with me the whole time) was extremely advanced but could also manage kids. What I expect is both sets of skills. This is rare and hard work, which is why every chump on the street isn't a piano teacher.

Last edited by J Cortese; 08/14/09 03:50 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J Cortese
I'd expect a teacher to be able to do both well, and can't fathom the polarization of the two skills. This is why teaching piano for a living is work. A brilliant performer may stink as a teacher; and if a teacher can't actually play, I'd shuck both of them. Why? Think about what it means.

Yes, but are you willing to pay for the advanced mastery of these two skills? Don't expect to find said teacher at $25/hr!

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Betty,
I agree with what you've said wholeheartedly. I wonder, though, do you insist on playing for every student you interview? Or do you only play if they ask?

You got it, Morodienne! I kind of insist I hope it comes across as just wanting to share sound and rhythms with them today because I believe we have to put our interview and first lesson into musical terms they can understand. It acts as a valid connection between us and I think it's pretty exciting for a new family to get a sample of their new teacher. I actually enjoy all parts of the interview and first lesson which takes about an hour. I try to give them every reason to choose me as their teacher....but I also say if they seem uncertain or reluctant, that it is very important to me that they choose the teacher who they feel most comfortable with and have the most confidence in.

We win some, we lose some.

Thanks for that question!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B

Speaking of demonstrations, I wonder how the AFT and NEA would react if communities demanded open houses where teachers would demonstrate, on an annual basis, mastery of their subject matter. Could be an interesting event!

John, I wouldn't mind being known for my playing in public skills, or for a sightreading test, or giving a brief teaching class....it seems to be that could be a very exciting event....like a talent show.....or a competition to display competence. I would not recommend it being a "BONG" show though, remember that terrible tv show from years ago!

Your whole scenario has me amused. It would put many a teacher a twitter to be in the spotlight and having to answer up with a presentation to be proud of. Maybe that's just the extrovert in me!

We could also be performing one elegant or exciting piece in our own studio recital just to keep everyone informed that we can also sit on the bench and produce something marvelous on demand. The audience usually loves this part. Sometimes, I've started the program and ended the program with a piece just to make a statement without saying a word about where piano lessons can lead to for the long term student.

J
J

Yes, but are you willing to pay for the advanced mastery of these two skills? Don't expect to find said teacher at $25/hr!

I can't recall what my parents paid, but we were not in possession of much disposable income. Whatever they paid my teacher, they got their money's worth.

ETA: Besides, paying bottom-dollar for a bad product isn't a bargain.

Last edited by J Cortese; 08/14/09 05:52 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Kanadka

Betty, beautifully said. This is exactly what I was looking for. Wish I could study with you smile[/quote]

Aw, that's sweet of you, but you would want to go through the interview process and be sensible about your decision in every way. I'm glad you are finding something to think about from all the postings in this topic. It is certainly an interesting topic! I've enjoyed participating here.

I appreciate your comment to me very much, thank you!

I think we make the mistake of putting all piano teachers in the same category. The truth is, piano teachers specialize like many other professions. I doubt many divorce lawyers could represent the state in a murder case, and I wouldn't want a dermatologist to remove my appendix.

The difference is we don't have names for piano teacher specialties. Some specialize in young beginners, some work with groups, some work with classical repertoire, others popular styles, some focus on competition preparation, others just want their students to have fun.

If I was shopping around for a teacher to help me work up a classical solo recital, I'd want someone who could play classical solo recitals. If I wanted to introduce my 4 year old to music, I'd opt for someone completely different. If I wanted advice on developing a concert career, I'd want someone who's been there. And if I want someone to teach the fundamentals, I need them to know how to introduce dotted quarter note rhythms to someone for the first time.

Asking if a piano teacher should be able to play well is like asking if a doctor should be able to treat MS. Not all doctors can treat MS, that's why they have specialized neurologists.

However, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a doctor to know how to handle a patient with a complaint that fits their specialty. If a student wants a piano teacher to help them develop enough technique to prepare a Mozart sonata, then that teacher absolutely needs to be able to prepare (but not necessarily sight-read) a Mozart sonata.

This is one of those debates that gets boiled down to moot nonsense on the internet because it's based on a very artificial question: "Should a teacher be able to play the piano?" What kind of "teacher" are we talking about? What do we mean by "play" the piano? What kind of music?

I think once the original poster gets to a point they can define exactly what they want to accomplish with their lessons, it will be much easier to pinpoint the abilities and skills they should look for in a teacher.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

I can't recall what my parents paid, but we were not in possession of much disposable income. Whatever they paid my teacher, they got their money's worth.

ETA: Besides, paying bottom-dollar for a bad product isn't a bargain.

I find the topic amusing to a degree. My first teacher, whom I only heard play once, when she accompanied me on the Mendelssohn Concerto in the studio, sent several students to Juilliard. She also taught Irving Gilmore who eventually started the Gilmore Festival. Oh, another famous student she started was Thomas Schippers (probably before your time, but he ended up conducting the La Scala) The thought just never crossed our minds to ask for a playing demonstration. Perhaps it's a generational thing. Perhaps it's because actual live in concert piano playing is so rare these days.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
[quote=Morodiene]In all fairness to the teacher in question, perhaps he made a bad judgment call in choosing his piece to perform. We do not know what he played, only that he was not prepared to play it and he played it poorly. Perhaps he simply chose a piece that was technically too demanding to be able to play well without preparation, and he can in fact play quite well?
(end quote)

Thank you for cutting this teacher some slack-- Perhaps this is what happened. Have any of you been in a situation where someone just put music in front of you that you were not able to play, because it was too hard and/or hadn't learned that particular piece? A student's mom brought in a J.S. Bach prelude and fugue, set it on my piano desk, and asked me to play it. I had not studied that one and was not able to sightread it. I told her exactly that, and offered to play her another from the WTC instead. She was not interested.

Piano Teacher
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Barb860
A student's mom brought in a J.S. Bach prelude and fugue, set it on my piano desk, and asked me to play it. I had not studied that one and was not able to sightread it. I told her exactly that, and offered to play her another from the WTC instead. She was not interested.

That's just RUDE!! Wow, I've never had anything like that happen. I would be so embarrassed, especially if I wasn't *allowed* to redeem myself with another piece.
I'm so sorry! frown

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Originally Posted by Barb860
Thank you for cutting this teacher some slack-- Perhaps this is what happened. Have any of you been in a situation where someone just put music in front of you that you were not able to play, because it was too hard and/or hadn't learned that particular piece?

I thought we had established that the piece in question was something from a Level 1 method book or syllabus suggestion.

I know I just wrote a big reply about how we shouldn't judge all teachers by the same standard, but asking a piano teacher to read a level 1 method piece is like asking a lawyer if he or she can use the word "legal" in a sentence. laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission