2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: TTigg / Steve C

So I skipped ahead to listen to this one. I am not familiar with Wayne Gratz, is this new age music? Regardless, I absolutely adored your performance; it was beautiful. The pace was steady, and increased in the climatic areas. The tone was soft and flowing, it was just relaxing to hear. I don't know how Mr. Gratz's tempo is, but I liked yours very much so. You've once again demonstrated your gift at playing piano Ttigg; great, great job smile

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
15. Ken. - Cavalry Gallop, Op. 27, No. 29
Quick & lively. Well done.

16. Ten Left Thumbs - Joe's Jump, Mark Harrison
I always love the boogie...tons of fun!

17. Euphonatrix - 2-part invention #14 in Bb Major
I did enjoy. Thank You

18. Serge88 -Don't Know Why, Jones
Good job with an interesting little song.

19. AnthonyB - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete, Ludovico Einaudi
Very pleasant harmonies and tones. You played it very well.

20. z32 / Ben - Kiss the Rain, Yiruma
Beautiful. Easy to imagine the rain drops.

21 Waltz - Canon in D (Variations), Pachelbel
Good job waltz!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)

I didn't know what to expect with this piece, since I hadn't heard it before, but I am speechless. That was very moving. Your playing was professional and expressive. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rustyfingers

One of my favorite things about our recitals is hearing new pieces. Your touching performance of this beautiful piece is a case in point.

Thanks so much Rusty. thumb
I too very much enjoy listening to new and old stuff at these recitals. I can assure you that pushing myself so I can participate has helped me greatly..

Originally Posted by jazzwee

For a year of playing, you sound pretty good Steve. Good work. Looks like some natural talent here. BTW - Southern California is too general so I'm actually in West LA area.

Thanks for the kind words wink
I'm actually in BFE (lol) or as we locals call it "Eastvale"..

Originally Posted by epf

This has a sort of sad sound that comes through in your playing. Well done!

Cheers thumb

Originally Posted by Ode2Joy

Very expressive. Great touch.

Why thank you, it's nice to get feedback from so many different people.

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

I have not heard anything from Wayne Gratz, so this is new to me. Quite an enjoyable piece, that. Nice job on the dynamics. You answered that good question quite nicely.

Thanks so much Dennis. I do very much enjoy his work but I often find I have to improvise to match (since it's not always transcribed 100%). I've got my plate full of great stuff (from ABF) that I want to try next...

Originally Posted by pianahman

Old man that I am, I'm not up-to-date with some of the contemporary and excellent composers whose compositions are being performed in the ABF recitals ... which is a round-a-bout way of getting to say that your performance has introduced me to a composer I'd love to hear more of. I can't help but think that Gratz could be the reincarnation of Robert Schumann, one of my favorite Romantic Era composers (also a music critic, Schumann defined the Romantic spirit and Romantic Era music in his writings). If you're not familiar with Schumann's composition, Why?, I hope you'll take a listen and compare it to Gratz's A Good Question ... and of course you can compare it also with the two excellent performances of Schumann pieces in this recital (#5 and #7).

Steve, your performance is polished ... flowing, expressive, just beautiful ... I'll add my voice to the many others who are expressing amazement at your abilities at the keyboard after such a short time. shocked wow

blush Thank thank you (takes his bow).
I will have to check out this "Schumann" chap I'm sure I'm going to love the work. I truly value the feedback and I'm very happy that I have managed to begin my journey that I waited far too long for. With regards to my progress I can assure you it's being fueled heavily by the encouragement and support of this Forum ! smile

Originally Posted by waltz

So I skipped ahead to listen to this one. I am not familiar with Wayne Gratz, is this new age music? Regardless, I absolutely adored your performance; it was beautiful. The pace was steady, and increased in the climatic areas. The tone was soft and flowing, it was just relaxing to hear. I don't know how Mr. Gratz's tempo is, but I liked yours very much so. You've once again demonstrated your gift at playing piano Ttigg; great, great job smile

[Linked Image] Thanks Waltz!
It is indeed New Age music. His tempo for this piece is actually a lot faster (which is why I slowed it down). Also as I've eluded to before, I do love his work but I'm finding that his pieces do not match the sheet music at all. At least with other artists (David N, David L etc) they appear to match perfect. So I'm going to have to skip doing another Gratz for a bit till I have more fun with the other ones.. thumb

Thanks for all your comments, they mean a lot and (as I have said) are a source for inspiration...

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Schubertian

One of my favs! You did an excellent, and unique, job with this piece. The middle section was played with much emotion. The climaxes seemed played faster with much zeal; I really liked it. Thanks for sharing this smile

[Linked Image]
01. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Prelude in F# Major Op.33 No.7 Sounds very professional. Fabulous start to the recital, setting the bar really high.

02. Mr Super-hunky - London Blue Touching, tender, very well played.

03. EJR (Elwyn) - Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Awake, the Voice commands) BWV 645 Nice job.

04. mahlzeit - Recital 15 This reminded me of a “Billy Joel” improvisation. I enjoyed this.

05. Sam Smith - Traumerei Difficult piece, well done.

06. TrueBeginner - Solitude I hope this was therapeutic for you. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

07. Peyton - From Foreign Lands and People You play well. But, to nitpick, there is a pedal noise [ thump ] on the recording.

08. DragonPianoPlayer - Serenade Nicely played.

09. HomeInMyShoes - Songs Without Words, Op. 19, No. 6 (Venetian Boat Song) Wonderful Song without words.

10. pianahman / Richard - Sinfonia No. 11 in G minor (BWV 797) Short and sweet. Nice work.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik

What an interesting piece; it was very pleasant to hear! Your playing was superb and delicate. I enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
11 Riddler (Ed) - Take Five, Paul Desmond
.... As an aside, wasn't there an old television show that used the main theme of this piece as its theme song? I seem to recall that, but I cannot remember the show.

Dennis,

As usual, you are correct. After a bit of googling I found that someone named Val Bennett recorded the the tune 4/4 (ugh!!), with a new name (The Russians are Coming). It was used as a theme song for a series called The Secret Life of Machines.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Thank you everyone for commenting on my piece and expressing concerns for my dad. That is what I really appreciate about this forum. After going twice to the ER within a month last month, he is now at home and on the way back to where he was before (He still has one outstanding lasparoscopic procedure that need to be done when he is fully recovered). And about the song, he probably gets sick of it by now that he is back at home and hear me "play" everyday smile

I haven't been able to listen to the recital yet, but from the list, this time there are a lot of pieces that I know and love. Thank you all for submitting and especially for the recital organizers.

TB

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Random picks....

#2. SH- Sweet piece! I think, despite the sight reading you have still managed to get emotion into it like you wanted.

#10.- A real treat to listen to! You balanced the parts masterfully I thought.

#11- Riddler...Ed, another fun one!! come on buddy, pick up the tempo!! smile

#12-Dennis... a very moody, thoughtful piece. You put some very nice feeling into it.

#14- Mati, VERY interesting work. I really enjoyed listening to it.

#21- Waltz, nice job on that lovely piece. Keep working with it, it's a piece you will always want to keep in your repertoire.

#24- Nicely done. In fact, very professional sounding!

#29- I like it that fast! Sometime it just seems to drag at the slower pace. You did a great job on it!!

#30. Yeeha! That piece always sounds so tough to me. You handle it very well.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Eighty8- I know there is a thump but it must be just outside my hearing range (I'm a bit deaf from too many deep scuba dives, burst eardrums, skeet shooting and r&r as a kid). The thump is a combination of letting up on the pedal too quickly and putting the mics down so close. Something to work on.

bunneh- I think you are right about the ritardando. I think I should try gradually slowing earlier. As far as the pedaling goes... I'm no pro but I think people over pedal the beginning. I pedal it quite a bit but on and off (you can tell be the thumping... laugh ) But still... good stuff to think about and work on. thanks!

And many thanks to all for the helpful comments.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
11 Riddler (Ed) - Take Five, Paul Desmond
.... As an aside, wasn't there an old television show that used the main theme of this piece as its theme song? I seem to recall that, but I cannot remember the show.

Dennis,

As usual, you are correct. After a bit of googling I found that someone named Val Bennett recorded the the tune 4/4 (ugh!!), with a new name (The Russians are Coming). It was used as a theme song for a series called The Secret Life of Machines.

Ed

Good lord, it's a reggae tune. I always liked Peter Schickele's (PDQ Bach's) description of 5/4. You could dance to it, if you had one leg shorter than the other.

Estonia 190, #6098

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
16. Ten Left Thumbs - Joe's Jump What a fun rag!! I thought you did a great job with the tremolos and then those higher trills. My foot was tapping the whole time. smile

17. Euphonatrix - 2-part invention #14 in Bb Major This is one of the prettier of the 2-part inventions, imo, so maybe your hypothesis that it meant something special to Bach is right. Thanks for the background info on Bach’s interest in numerology. I hadn’t known that before.

18. Serge88 - Don't Know Why Very smooth, relaxing performance of a great song. I’m also impressed by how nice the FP-7 sounds.

19. AnthonyB - La Nascita Delle Cose Segrete I don’t think it took you all that long to learn this, Anthony! And this is a challenging piece, with a lot of complex rhythms. Great job. thumb

20. z32/Ben - Kiss the Rain Listening to you makes me want to dig out my Yiruma CDs and sheet music again. Your playing is always so flawless and smooth.

21. Waltz - Canon in D (Variations) This is one of the prettier arrangements of the Canon that I’ve heard, and I am quite impressed by your playing after only one year! Love the tie, too! thumb

22. setchman - Eric Krueger - His Gift I remember loving this piece when you posted it a while back, and I still love it. This is gorgeous and every bit as good as much of what you’ll find selling in the record stores. I’d love to hear anything else you’ve composed.

23. bluekeys - Misty You could be a pro playing in a dark hotel bar with that piece. Loved it!

24. Eighty8 - Love Is Here To Stay I like these timeless Gershwin songs, and I enjoyed learning the background to this one. Nice playing. smile

25. Copper - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face I really liked how you arranged what has to be one of the prettiest love songs ever. I would imagine this is a tough one to do from a fake book… it doesn’t sound like the usual chord progressions.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Ken.

That was excellently played and incredibly fun to hear! The title of the piece is very fitting for its sound. Thanks for sharing smile

Performer's name: Ten Left Thumbs

The tremolos were greatly executed and your playing sounded wonderful. The rhythm was perfect for this foot-tapping piece; thanks for sharing smile

[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Peyton
Random picks....

...#11- Riddler...Ed, another fun one!! come on buddy, pick up the tempo!! smile ...

Yer right. I upped the tempo last weekend and re-recorded:

http://www.box.net/shared/9hoe8xmngr

But that may be as fast as I can go in 5/4 without tripping on my shoelaces! laugh

Ed

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A big thank to Monica and Mahlzeit,

To Mati, I recorded four different angle and mixed them together but I kept the original audio track.

To Bluekeys, this video tutorial comes from mwmtv.co.uk unfortunately they closed down without notice and I can't watch it anymore. I learned it a few months ago.

My comments will follow soon.

Serge88

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by kokomo61
Dennis,
Good lord, it's a reggae tune. I always liked Peter Schickele's (PDQ Bach's) description of 5/4. You could dance to it, if you had one leg shorter than the other.

laugh

I have a vision of a five-legged cat with two legs shorter than the other three!

Ed

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Performer's name: Euphonatrix

You did an excellent job with this. I also enjoyed reading about Bach's interest with the number 14.

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
22. setchman - Eric Krueger - His Gift
A beautifully played piece and an excellent recording.

23. bluekeys - Misty
Good job...interesting chord progressions.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
Originally Posted by Peyton
Random picks....

...#11- Riddler...Ed, another fun one!! come on buddy, pick up the tempo!! smile ...

Yer right. I upped the tempo last weekend and re-recorded:

http://www.box.net/shared/9hoe8xmngr

But that may be as fast as I can go in 5/4 without tripping on my shoelaces! laugh

Ed

Yea!! That's getting there now! Sweet!!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission