2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
ixg120 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I am new to PW and I am hoping to get an advice on 2 pianos I am trying to choose between. I found a new Kawai K-2 mahogany finish at a local college sale for $5150 (includes tax,delivery, and tunning) and I also found CX5H at CL for $2000. I want to buy it for a 5 y.o. girl who is about to start taking classes. Thanks in advance.

M
M
I was just quoted $4899 (cash), no sales tax, no delivery (in exchange for our starter piano), plus 3 tunings for a new K3 here in PA. My wife and I are very tempted. Perhaps there is room to negotiate the K2 price in TX? I don't know what the variation in price is from region to region.

On the other hand, someone in Philly just posted on Craigslist a 5 year old Kawai RX-2 grand piano for $5000. Unfortunately, we just do not have the space for a grand piano or else I'd seriously look into that Craigslist ad. And I'm not going to mention this to my wife or else she'll start thinking of knocking down walls inside the house and a $5000 piano will end up costing $50,000 more.

Mr. Peabody

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
ixg120, college sales are notoriously bad venues for auditioning and/or buying pianos. If you like the K-2's tone, go to a showroom. You can get the same delivery/tuning package for less, and you'll have time to actually listen to the piano.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"And I'm not going to mention this to my wife or else she'll start thinking of knocking down walls inside the house..."

Well, Peabody, that takes the words right out of my mouth. Guess you'd better get the other piano.

If it were me, I think I might put the couch on the curb and get the RX.

Clef

M
M
When we were thinking of upgrading the piano for the boys, my wife looked at me and said that her long time dream was to have a grand piano for the boys. Of course, we looked at how we can move furniture around to fit one in but it was clear that we simply do not have the space. You think that I'm kidding about knocking down walls? Well, she has talked out loud about it. More than once. Just not possible right now.

Still, a part of me wishes we can do it because a grand piano would be best for the boys in their lessons. Oh well.

I think that a quality studio upright isn't a bad consolation prize. I get the vibe that the quoted price is more than fair.

IXG, I think that with some wranglin' a new K2 could be had at a better price (or even a K3). The real question is whether the CX5H is better for you now. Hard to say. My boys started at 6 years old, we bought a beat up Wurlitzer for $500 including delivery. The piano plays just fine, the cabinet was just really beat up so I filled all the dents, sanded it down, and painted it black. At the time I wasn't sure if they would stick with piano so the $500 purchase was a hedged bet. After 6 years, I guess it is clear that they have remained interested and we need to upgrade. Looking back, perhaps a better quality starter piano would still be a good start because then I wouldn't necessarily need to upgrade now. If you get a good brand name and things don't work out, well...you do have some value in resale (you will lose some in depreciation but it isn't the whole enchilada).

Right now we are debating a 26-year old 50-inch Kawai for $3500 and a brand new K3 for $4899. My boys also tried a new K2 and liked it, just that for $600 more we get in the new K3 range (which they liked even more).

Decisions, decisions...

Mr. Peabody

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
26 is a little on the old side, especially for three boys. If you can't get the grand, the new K3. Just my opinion.

I never doubted your story about the wife, by the way. Girl after my own heart. "Wall in the way? Sledge it down today!"

But seriously, think again: is having a couch really "all that"? Or that nasty entertainment center--- so bulky. Well, never mind; you're going far enough in getting rid of a Wurlitzer.

Clef

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The CX5H is a 42" strung back in a 45" cabinet.It was assembled in the now defunct North Carolina factory.In the west coast, before it's discontinued status, one could acquire this piano discounted in the $2500-$3000 range brand new so....2K is no steal of a deal. I would avoid this mdl. unless you can acquire it at maybe half the price quoted.It is a mdl.Kawai wishes would eventually fade into the sunset. Hey,that's just my opinion!.
So....via the process of elimination the other piano options are better though I can't atest to their $ value new. wink

Last edited by pianobroker; 08/15/09 07:06 PM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mr. Peabody - your K3 sounds like a great deal!

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

I
ixg120 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
If I could get a new or good used Kawai Mahogany K-3 for $5000.00 cash, I would have paid it on the spot.

M
M
IXG,

I should have picked up on your color choice. In looking around, the mahogany color is more than the standard ebony (satin or high gloss). I should have clarified, the K3 that we are considering is $4988 cash for high gloss ebony. I don't know what a mahogany one would be going for. There wasn't one on the floor but I bet the store could always order one.

Do you have more than one Kawai dealers near where you live? We have two that are equal distance from us and I suspect it leads to a bit more competition (and lower overall pricing).

Mr. Peabody

I
ixg120 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
mahogany is normally $500.00 more

M
M
So, would it be fair to think of a new mahogany K2 as nearly equal to a new black K3 in price? For us, we are 99% sure that a new K3 will be better than the reconditioned 26 year old K53F (my boys played both and unanimously voted for the K3 based on tone and touch).

For us, the tough decision 6 years ago was whether to buy a better piano or a less expensive starter piano (with the understanding that you may need to upgrade later). We ended up with the VERY inexpensive starter as a hedged bet (in case they were adamant that the piano lessons were horrifying experiences for them). Fortunately, that wasn't the case. It is obvious that the right teacher makes all the difference with respect to keeping the beginner student interested with their lessons. As I said before, looking back if we did end up buying a better piano, we wouldn't be upgrading now. Right now if I can find a less old used piano (<10 years old) of sufficient caliber then that would be our first choice. However, finding these gems are quite hard. We just haven't been lucky and we've postponed the upgrade for long enough. So, it is 99% sure we are going to buy a new K3.

Mr. Peabody

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
It is obvious that the right teacher makes all the difference with respect to keeping the beginner student interested with their lessons.

I wish you could but that in 30pt bold italics!

And yes, the K-3 would be a great piano for you.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission