Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1244468 - 08/06/09 04:25 AM Arpeggios Question
Gerry Armstrong Offline

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland
I working through the Grade 5 ABRSM syllabus at the moment, and I have a question about the arpeggios.

If I take C Major as an example, the standard fingering is 123 123 1235 on the way up. Am I supposed to perform a thumb under movement when I go from finger 3 on G to my thumb on the next C each time to ensure they are played legato, or is the norm to jump my whole hand to get my thumb up to the next C?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1244570 - 08/06/09 09:39 AM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Gerry Armstrong]
Jeffers K A Offline

Loc: BRecon, UK
I'd like to hear an answer to this also - my piano teacher says 'thumb under' but (seemingly like all her child students - I'm 50 by the way and have spent 35 years playing guitar and mandolin - mostly semi-pro)my elbow sticks out like a broken drainpipe performing this manoever :-)

Jeffers

#1244717 - 08/06/09 12:38 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Jeffers K A]
aEquals440 Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
I've always been told that "thumb under" is the preferred way as well. I think that the motion is more in the wrist and hand than the arm.

#1244721 - 08/06/09 12:41 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: aEquals440]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I've always used a bit of rotation to accomplish the thumb movement, and it's one of those things that's not really an "either/or" proposition.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1244732 - 08/06/09 12:47 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Kreisler]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Doesn't the consideration of thumb under vs. thumb over apply to arpeggios in the same way as to scales, i.e., it's primarily a question of the speed at which they're played?

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1244880 - 08/06/09 04:03 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: sotto voce]
Gerry Armstrong Offline

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland
Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Doesn't the consideration of thumb under vs. thumb over apply to arpeggios in the same way as to scales, i.e., it's primarily a question of the speed at which they're played?

Steven

That's the answer I've had from another source, and it confirms my original suspicion that once you go beyond a certain speed it is not only very difficult but also dangerous from the point of view of injuring yourself to attempt to continue with the thumb under technique.

#1245217 - 08/07/09 06:10 AM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Gerry Armstrong]
Jeffers K A Offline

Loc: BRecon, UK
I'm obviously not 'up to speed' yet (ha! ha!)

Jeffers

#1245219 - 08/07/09 06:16 AM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Jeffers K A]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Chopin said to leave a break in the sound rather than do thumb under. Do not stick your elbow out all all!!

#1250087 - 08/15/09 11:19 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: keyboardklutz]
TonyY Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I recommend you to do the "thumb under" technique, as it will make the arpeggios sound more legato. I'm not really familiar with the ABRSM examiners but I believe they will take off marks for that.

#1250195 - 08/16/09 07:54 AM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: TonyY]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TonyY
I recommend you to do the "thumb under" technique, as it will make the arpeggios sound more legato. I'm not really familiar with the ABRSM examiners but I believe they will take off marks for that.

A few months ago I probably would have disagreed, but I recently realised how important it is to do standard thumb under first. Skipping does not build support in the fingers or flexibility in the thumb. I've discovered that one of the reasons for a weak right hand 4th finger (and limited range of motion in the thumb) is the fact I always flicked across, rather than ever joining.

A good exercise is to hold onto the thumb (while under) at the same time as the third or fourth. If you squeeze very lightly in an inward direction, the keys push you back out. If the flexibility is inadequate for comfort, this will improve it very quickly. Soon the position will be more easily obtained. However, if you already feel fully stretched when doing this with arpeggio positions, it's probably best to begin with a more comfortable interval, so you're not straining the limits of your motion early on. Once you reach comfort, you can either flick across at speed or get a comfortable legato connection at a slow tempo. It really is important to have the ability to manage either equally well. Flicking will usually start to occur of it's own accord (when movingat speed) but traditional thumb under can only be more willfully mastered.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/16/09 08:01 AM)

#1250297 - 08/16/09 01:33 PM Re: Arpeggios Question [Re: Nyiregyhazi]
TonyY Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nyiregyhazi
Originally Posted By: TonyY

A few months ago I probably would have disagreed, but I recently realised how important it is to do standard thumb under first. Skipping does not build support in the fingers or flexibility in the thumb. I've discovered that one of the reasons for a weak right hand 4th finger (and limited range of motion in the thumb) is the fact I always flicked across, rather than ever joining.

A good exercise is to hold onto the thumb (while under) at the same time as the third or fourth. If you squeeze very lightly in an inward direction, the keys push you back out. If the flexibility is inadequate for comfort, this will improve it very quickly. Soon the position will be more easily obtained. However, if you already feel fully stretched when doing this with arpeggio positions, it's probably best to begin with a more comfortable interval, so you're not straining the limits of your motion early on. Once you reach comfort, you can either flick across at speed or get a comfortable legato connection at a slow tempo. It really is important to have the ability to manage either equally well. Flicking will usually start to occur of it's own accord (when movingat speed) but traditional thumb under can only be more willfully mastered.

Well said! laugh
This should become a habit very early on. Its hard to fix these bad habits once you get used to it, especially that its the technical stuff.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, AmateurBob, accordeur, Alux, ADWyatt, 31 invisible), 1297 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153567 Topics
2250642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
04/19/14 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
04/18/14 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
04/18/14 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
04/18/14 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
04/18/14 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission