Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1252635 - 08/20/09 01:11 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: musiclady]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love the idea of 8:00 AM Saturday make up time. Except that *I* would have to get up too!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1252687 - 08/20/09 02:46 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: Mrs.A]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Mrs.A
Many of my families know each other. Sometimes they do swap lessons. Stanny mentioned sending out a swap list. What a good idea.

It takes a lot of time and energy to reschedule. Playing phone Tag and then searching through the schedule to find a spot (which are only available if someone else has cancelled) can take the same amount of time the lesson would. I used to do that. Now I allow for make-ups once a month 8:00 am on the FIRST Saturday of the month. It is a group lesson and open to all who need a make-up. Students are allowed to use this option if they call ahead and cancel.

I find that students do not take this option and forfeit their make-up. I am sure that has to do with the 8:00 a.m. time but no one can complain that I do not allow for make-ups.

I like doing group lessons, but I find that attendance for this is generally quite low. If I made something like this fro make-ups at 8:00 am Saturday, I would usually be wasting my time. I don't know, but it seems to me like it's hardly worth offering a make-up if you know chances are people won't be able to make this.

I have designated make-up days that people can schedule with me on a mutually agreed upon time, once per semester. Any other missed lessons after that they can swap with another student. Of course, they must do this ahead of time. Many students will swap before using their one lesson make-up in case of illness.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1252719 - 08/20/09 03:33 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: Morodiene]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
The thing I don't like about swap lists is that it's one more thing to have to 'oversee' in my studio. Some people abuse the list by calling the same person to swap with, or one or the other student will forget their swapped lesson time, etc.... so then I have to set up 'rules' (basically a whole paragraph in my policy just define the terms). For me it's not worth it.

I do like the idea of making up lessons at 8:00am, or even 7:00am. smile

#1252745 - 08/20/09 03:58 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
The thing I don't like about swap lists is that it's one more thing to have to 'oversee' in my studio. Some people abuse the list by calling the same person to swap with, or one or the other student will forget their swapped lesson time, etc.... so then I have to set up 'rules' (basically a whole paragraph in my policy just define the terms). For me it's not worth it.

Let's all put a 5:00 a.m. makeup time in our policies and see who shows up laugh
Regarding the swap list: It would make sense in my studio because most of my students' families know each other. BUT...I did try this for a short time and just last week, 2 students showed up for lessons at the same time: the 2 who swapped with each other.

#1252868 - 08/20/09 06:25 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Barb860
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle

Let's all put a 5:00 a.m. makeup time in our policies and see who shows up laugh
Regarding the swap list: It would make sense in my studio because most of my students' families know each other. BUT...I did try this for a short time and just last week, 2 students showed up for lessons at the same time: the 2 who swapped with each other.

Well,e very studio is different, and you know your students best. I have used the Lesson Swap idea for one year, and it worked out great. Never had a problem with the wrong person showing up, and it wasn't used all that much, either. By not allowing any make-ups except for 1 per semester, my parents finally understand that they'll have to work around lessons, rather than reschedule a lesson at the drop of a hat when there's a supposed conflict.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1252933 - 08/20/09 08:25 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: Barb860]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Barb860
Originally Posted By: John v.d.brook
My general policy is that you can reschedule any time the week of; you could be uber flexible and give students a rescheduling window of plus or minus 3 days. Otherwise, the lesson is forfeited.

Does this mean that you allow time in your schedule for rescheduled lessons?

Barb, M-Th is 8.5 hr, or 34 total; Fri is 6 hr, so my studio is open 40 hrs per week. I am not teaching 40 hrs per week, but available 40 hrs per week.

If you reschedule, you have to use a vacant lesson slot, you cannot preempt another student's time.

Just to clarify, I tell my parents very forthrightly that their student's time is xxx, and it's their responsibility, not mine, to clear the student's schedule so they can be here for their lesson each week. It is their responsibility to reschedule at least 48 hrs in advance. It is also their responsibility to help their student plan a daily practice routine, and to monitor the situation periodically (depending upon student age).

I want this to be as clear as I can make it: students are purchasing my time, and what ever time they select, if they fail to show, they still owe me for my time.

Does this clarify? Is it helpful?

#1253011 - 08/20/09 10:09 PM Re: Are you changing/updating your studio policy for fall? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Yes, John! I wanna be a teacher like you! Seriously!
I just "advised" 2 parents about all of the above issues you mention. I'm a good teacher. My time is valuable. I need to act like it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, 36 invisible), 1335 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156329 Topics
2295961 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
25 minutes 59 seconds ago
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
57 minutes 1 second ago
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission