Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1251114 - 08/18/09 12:06 AM Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition?
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
I charge monthly and my students pay me up front for the month. I am considering charging also for the last month. In my policy I state that students need to give me their notice for the last month at the beginning of the final month. Nobody has followed through. Especially since some don't realize they are done with lessons until mid-month. This is something that happens not very often...but this last Sunday I had a mom say that next week would be the last week. I felt like reminding her that I request for longer notice so I can fill that time slot. But I also don't want to continue this relationship. This little guy just doesn't like piano lessons!

I suppose this situation is covered with teachers who charge tuition for the semester....I am seeing the wisdom in this....If they want to opt out...they can forfeit the semester and no harm done to teacher's bank account.

Edited by trillingadventurer (08/18/09 12:09 AM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1251178 - 08/18/09 06:12 AM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: trillingadventurer]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
Originally Posted By: trillingadventurer
I suppose this situation is covered with teachers who charge tuition for the semester....I am seeing the wisdom in this....If they want to opt out...they can forfeit the semester and no harm done to teacher's bank account.

Unfortunately they will most likely ask for a refund. If you refuse then they will continue with the lessons they have paid for and the situation can be very uncomfortable. I am like you in that I often don't want to continue the relationship if things are not going well or if a child really doesn't enjoy the lessons. I just let it go.

#1251234 - 08/18/09 09:35 AM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: Chris H.]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I haven't done that, but it is a good idea smile I bill by semester but I still have the same problem, they tell me at the end of the semester that they won't be returning. I am hesitant to ask for a semester's payment plus a month, that's a lot of cash. I don't know of a way we can avoid it, some people are just not thoughtful, even if we ask them to be.

I'm sure you, like me, have had siblings show up for a lesson and tell you "Sissy won't be coming any more". Gee, thanks.

I have never had a parent ask for a refund, but it states "no refunds" in my policy sheet.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1251244 - 08/18/09 09:51 AM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have recently set up on my website the ability to use Paypal. This also allows the option of them setting up recurring monthly payments either put directly on their credit card or debit card, or withdrawn from a bank account. They would have to physically go into Paypal to discontinue this. I'm hoping that such an arrangement would help in these situations, although most parents do give notice according to my policy.

I know that if you get a Business account set up with Paypal, then you can have credit card or debit card information that you can run yourself each month, giving you greater control over these things, but I thought for now I'd try it this way.

I also do not give any refunds. If a student wishes to discontinue lessons with me, then I will remind them of my 30-day cancellation policy. It's your call, trillingadventure, but I think it would be good for you to be in the habit of enforcing your own policy. I will too often make exceptions to my own policy to the point where I wonder why I bothered having it in the first place. My resolution for this year is to stick to it better.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1251337 - 08/18/09 12:44 PM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: Morodiene]
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego

YES! I need to stick to my policy too! Good words of wisdom!

#1251677 - 08/18/09 10:25 PM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: trillingadventurer]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I charge by the semester, and have never been asked for a refund if a student quits before the end of the semester. It's spelled out clearly in my policy that there are no refunds.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1251855 - 08/19/09 10:34 AM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: Stanny]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I've toyed with the idea of charging first/last month's tuition. I require a 30-day notice to drop from my studio, but there are always those students who decide to let me know at the last lesson of the month that they won't be coming anymore (or those who just never show up for the new month of lessons). Students who just drop out this way are reminded that they will still owe for a month's tuition. Charging first/last tuition would take care of that reminder. And if a student drops at the last minute with no plans to come to another month of lessons, they do not get a refund of that last month of lessons (as they have NOT given a 30-day notice).

Mmm... I should really consider this.

#1252347 - 08/20/09 03:18 AM Re: Does Anybody charge first and last months tuition? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I thought about it for a long time, but decided to go with a registration/materials fee which is at $125 per student.

Meri

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Postings in this forum
by doremi
09/20/14 10:13 PM
Were these old Richmond Studio uprights any good?
by Paul678
09/20/14 09:18 PM
Ivories: To save or not to save
by chernobieff
09/20/14 08:26 PM
Are injuries the result of bad technique or over practicing?
by rov
09/20/14 05:44 PM
Learning M/m Key Areas in minutes: know the patterns!
by A443
09/20/14 05:32 PM
Who's Online
114 registered (accordeur, aesop, 36251, 36 invisible), 1112 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157653 Topics
2315671 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission