Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (Anne'sson, ando, accordeur, Alexander Borro, 29 invisible), 1543 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1251140 - 08/18/09 01:46 AM Baldwin Model R
DavidKitazono Offline

I visited a couple of piano stores in Denver today. Both were closing out Baldwin Model R grand pianos for around 18-20K. I was told these were made in the US, and had a previous street price of around 30K, but due to manufacturing going to China, warranty work, factory service and parts may be a problem. Does anybody have more info on this model and what is going on with Baldwin? The piano had a nice sound, but it seems it may not be worth the risk of just having a store warranty, instead of factory one.

(ad 800) Ritmuller
Ritmuller Presents
#1251183 - 08/18/09 06:46 AM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: DavidKitazono]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Are you sure it only has a store warranty? That doesn't sound right for a new instrument.

Even if Artist Grands are no longer manufactured in Arkansas, Baldwin is still in operation, after all. So is Gibson, its parent company. Could it be that the remaining unsold inventory of American-made pianos is really no longer warranteed?

#1251207 - 08/18/09 08:20 AM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: sotto voce]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
The Gibson website says the Baldwin R has a lifetime parts, 10 years labor warranty.

#1251375 - 08/18/09 01:47 PM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: ChasT]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Baldwin model R (5'8") is a wonderful instrument. This artist series was built in Baldwins Arkansas factory for decades and was/is highly respected. I would be curious as to the serial number and its exact age. Is it being represented as new?

Several years ago Baldwin was in financial turmoil, in and out of bankruptcy filings several times. Gibson Guitar company stepped in and rescued the company. At that time there was discussion whether or not Gibson would honor factory warranties on pianos built prior to their take over. Though potentially "new" this piano may be a part of this body of instruments.

At the time of the take over, Gibson raised wholesale prices significantly. The cost of this R will be dependant on its age.

The last Larry Fine "list" published on an R was $35,706. Because of the changes in the company the profile and demand for new Baldwins has diminished in recent years (at least in our market). This has fostered considerable discounting by dealers to move existing stock.
Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.

(ad) Hailun Piano
Hailun Pianos
#1251437 - 08/18/09 03:39 PM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: Marty Flinn]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
wow.. i really love Baldwin grands.. they are uniquely powerful, clear and resonant.. if that is the American sound, i love American.

(disclaimer: proud owner of a 'European sound' piano that I love too)
accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1251596 - 08/18/09 07:59 PM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: apple*]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Another thought...

The Baldwin labor warranty was traditionally the resposibility of the dealer. If this is still true, perhaps this dealer is trying to sell the piano without including it.

My 2 cents,
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834

#1251633 - 08/18/09 09:10 PM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: Rich Galassini]
DavidKitazono Offline

Yes, I was very surprised when the salesman told me the factory warranty was problematic. We discussed this point for around ten minutes.
One store had the Baldwin Model R in storage since 2001. The store owner said he took it out of storage about six months ago. He assured me it was new old stock, and the piano was not loaned out, or used in any festivals, etc. I wonder what kind of unseen damage a piano and action will sustain over eight years of lying on its side, since I assume that was the way it was stored. Gravity rules. This piano had some voicing and regulation issues, too. Many of the notes had a metallic "tizziness" aftertone. The store owner said this would be taken care of before the piano was purchased.
The second store had three or four Baldwin pianos for sale. One of the pianos I saw had a factory finish defect, which requires a new lid. However, the salesman told me the store cannot get the factory to respond to their request for warranty work. The salesman told me all of the Baldwins were new, and not new old stock.
If any of the Baldwins becomes a serious contender, I will make sure a good tech checks it over carefully. However, this whole warranty question makes me very concerned...
Boy, this piano buying thing is a lot more complicated than I originally thought it was going to be!

#1251801 - 08/19/09 08:05 AM Re: Baldwin Model R [Re: DavidKitazono]
Larry Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Carmel, Indiana
Hi David, I think if you're considering buying a piano that was in long-term storage, it's especially important to have it carefully inspected. I bought a 1995 Baldwin L grand 2 years ago. It had been in storage for a number of years when it was new. Then it was purchased by a couple for their child who was, at the time, an embroyo! Then it sat in their house unused until the child was four, and then only played by her for 4 years before her mother decided the piano was 4 inches too long for the living room, and traded it in for a smaller Steinway. Anyway, the piano has a crack in the soundboard because of the poor conditions in which it was stored in the warehouse. The dealer I bought it from fully disclosed the condition of the piano. Even with the crack, it was the best sounding L I had ever played, and I'm still happy with it. But, my point is, a properly stored piano can sit for years and be just fine, but an improperly stored one can have issues. Good luck and keep us posted. Larry
1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to all our members and guests from the U.S.!
(ad) Yamaha CP4 or CP40 Free Bag
Buy a CP4 or CP40 Get a Free Bag
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tested a bunch of Kawais & Rolands today
by Garf
11/26/15 12:42 PM
Remembering stories from piano teachers in your past
by pianoloverus
11/26/15 12:23 PM
Piano concerto performance criticized for LACKING VISUAL STYLE
by Svenno
11/26/15 08:55 AM
Yamaha P115, USB midi connection, what can i do with it?
by mcguiks
11/26/15 08:40 AM
by Karl Watson
11/26/15 08:05 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
81,558 Registered Members
44 Forums
168,581 Topics
2,469,823 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission