2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Looking for help finding a NEW Digital Piano! (=
I currently have a beginner's 61-Key Casio Keyboard that lights up. [ haha.. ]
I used it when I was first starting about a few months ago, and now I need an 88 key digital piano, to learn better songs... So-
WELL, my options for the new digital pianos are the KorgLP350 or the Williams Symphony Elite, as my top 2 choices.
I could also get the Casio AP-200, but I would find the Korg as a better choice...
Anyone have a review of either?
I'm mainly looking for good sound, compact, and under $1000.
I was looking to get the Yamaha YDP-160, but I found it as too expensive =\...
So does anyone have any recommendations/reviews of any pianos I should get?

please&thanks(=

FIRST POST!

[Linked Image]
L
L
I'm in the same boat. My 61-key Casio lights up too. I also want a full sized DP but it's hard to find one that has the guide lamps.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I've scoured this forum and I've asked the teachers in the teacher's forum and I seem to be the one-and-only person on the planet who thinks that lighted keys are a capital idea. What could be better for learning to finger chords and learn the notes? Once I learn the notes I turn the lights off and play. The problem is that the only full size DPs I can find with guide lights are some of the Yamaha Clavinovas which are a bit spendy for me.

Anyhow I've lurked here long enough to know that you can get a reasonably decent keyboard for $1000. I've read good reports here about the Yamaha YPG-635 but haven't laid hands on one so don't take my word. You'll probably be told that Williams isn't the best brand. And there's a guy named Gyro that tells everybody that all DPs are the same thing from the same factory, just packaged in a different box. Good luck.

Last edited by Ludwig van Bilge; 08/19/09 09:41 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Between those two, the Korg has a better action and possibly better sound. I would strongly recommend that one. Of course, if you're in a position to play both, by all means try to do this and decide for yourself.

It sounds like you really want a console-type model. There aren't many good choices under $1000. For less than $1000, you can get a stage-type Yamaha, but the very cheapest Yamahas are not that great. They have significant compromises in their action and sound samples. If you can afford a YDP-160 or CLP-320, those are strongly worth considering. A Kawai ES-6 is also nice, but would also be slightly over $1000.

Casios are not bad. Some people say that they don't hold up over time, but any others have had good luck with them. The AP-200 has just been replaced by a slightly upgraded model (I think AP-230). If you can find the older model on special it could be a good deal.

OP Offline
For me, the light up keys were just to help me with learning some simple songs .
Uhh, I never really used the 3-step lesson ._." it just made it harder for me ...
But yeahh- The Korg seems really nice, but my grandpa is paying for it.
He's retired, and you know- the $$$, and he encouraged me to buy a new one, but I dont wanna make him broke buying a Yamaha Nocturne N100 :\ [ my dream piano. ]
The Casio AP-200 is what my mom wants to buy cause we can get it cheap at Costco for $800.00- my grandpa is only paying for a portion of the piano, not everything. He's paying for $800.00, cause my grandpa thinks i'm getting the AP-200 and not the Korg.
My Williams piano looks good BUT i've never really heard of them- how is their customer service, and how well do their keys play?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You will be hard-pressed to find any favorable Williams feedback here. They're pretty low-end with an awkward and light key feel. I would spring for the cheapest Casio DP before I considered the most high-end Williams.

Les C Deal

OP Offline
What about the Yamaha YDP-S31? I'm trying to aim for a Cabinet-styled digital piano, as a cheap sub for an acoustic. I also want it to have an either slide or falling key-cover... That's why I'm specifically looking at the Yamaha Arius series, or Korg.

PS- I can't find any Yamaha under $1000 .

[Linked Image]
Williams rarely get good comments on these forums. So honestly, I would stay away from them. The Korg LP350 was just released within this year, so that's always nice. Although it shares the EXACT same stats as its portable brother (SP250) and it's 300 bucks cheaper and was released three years ago.

I also have heard Korg has very bad costumer service and won't own up to warranties.

The only other thing I can think of under $1000 is Casio digital piano's. Great bang for the buck, but like Geoffk said, they are rumored to wear out quickly.

Good luck!

OP Offline
The Korg SP250 is nice, but I am looking for a cabinet type of digital piano ... but i will DEFINITELY keep that in mind ... Anything from Roland? From my observations, they are mostly stage/studio pianos. Yamaha isn't in my price range, and I don't know much about Kawai ... any other suggestions?

- Compact
- Under $1000
- Durable [ lasts long ]

So far, my best bet is the Korg SP250, but that's still a hugee MAYBE.
Gotta figure it out by the 25th :\

[Linked Image]
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The cheapest cabinet-type Roland is the RP-101. This is a great piano, but will cost about $1500 or so.

The reason why light-up keys are disparaged by some teachers is that they encourage you to look at the keyboard and your fingers while you're playing. This discourages proper sight-reading and muscle memory for feeling the keys. I also think that they're a bad idea. In any case, you'll be hard-pressed to find them on any serious keyboard.

Based on what you've written either the Korg or the Casio AP-200 would be a reasonable choice. Unless you find something used, you won't do any better than these two within your budget. And both are good instruments.

LP350 has very good speaker for the price. And it looks freaking nice
RH3 keys are good, used in their high end M3-88 synth too

CLP-240 / EL-90 / X5D
OP Offline
No wonder I'm not very good at sight reading o_o
Especially ledger lines, ahaha.
What about Yamaha? None under $1,000?

[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by Geoffk
The reason why light-up keys are disparaged by some teachers is that they encourage you to look at the keyboard and your fingers while you're playing. This discourages proper sight-reading

I'm not sure if that matters to me, Geoffk. I've no intention of learning to sight read. I find that I can learn music from the guide lights driven by MIDI files. The MIDIs are easy to find on the web or with a little work I can make my own. What's wrong with that?

Originally Posted by _just.jose

You mentioned Costco. Costco.com is advertising the Yamaha DGX630 for $750 if that appeals. Not a high-end DP but a step up from your 61-key Casio....if you can live without those cool light-up keys.

Last edited by Ludwig van Bilge; 08/20/09 03:09 AM.
OP Offline
Ahaha, well- I was looking into buying that.
Although, I hear the speakers aren't of the best quality.
My mom is leaning for the Korg, but she won't give me a Christmas present this year :P
[ to think of it, what about the past 3 years?! xP ]

But yeah- she's probably gonna pay around $300-400 more...
$800.00 from my Grandpa for the Korg LP-350
$200.00 from my mom to pay for the REST of the Korg
$200.00 for this fancy bench ;D

But that's still a maybe on the $400.00- but I don't think that the Guitar Center i'm going to sells the Korg with a bench.. I think I'm gonna have to get it separately.

Anyone know any good benches? xP
Height Adjustable, with a 2-3 inch compartment for music, and padded? Nothing over $125 :\

[Linked Image]
T
T
No wonder I'm not very good at sight reading o_o
Especially ledger lines, ahaha.

Use the coupon below to get a Yamaha dp for $850.

http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-Arius-YDP140-Digital-Piano-703247-i1393192.Music123

1 Spring Fever Party Instant Savings for Yamaha
Coupon Code: YAMAHAOFF
($200.00)
($200.00)

Yamaha Arius YDP140 Digital Piano (#703247)
Availability: In Stock

$1,049.99
$1,349.00
Free Shipping! $1,049.99

Enter coupon code YAMAHAOFF

Subtotal: $849.99 Shipped

Last edited by The_Linux_Crew; 08/20/09 08:57 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew

Use the coupon below to get a Yamaha dp for $850.

http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-Arius-YDP140-Digital-Piano-703247-i1393192.Music123

1 Spring Fever Party Instant Savings for Yamaha
Coupon Code: YAMAHAOFF
($200.00)
($200.00)

Yamaha Arius YDP140 Digital Piano (#703247)
Availability: In Stock

$1,049.99
$1,349.00
Free Shipping! $1,049.99

Enter coupon code YAMAHAOFF

Subtotal: $849.99 Shipped

I would use that code [ cause that's a REALLY good deal! (= Thanks for post! ]
But my mom has to get it through the store- she, like me, wants instant gratification.
Although- if she won't buy the Korg, i'll tell her about that
And she'd probably want to get that rather than the Williams or Casio AP-200
Any stores in California Los Angeles / Long Beach area that sells the Korg LP350?

[Linked Image]
T
T

I would use that code [ cause that's a REALLY good deal! (= Thanks for post! ]
But my mom has to get it through the store- she, like me, wants instant gratification.
Although- if she won't buy the Korg, i'll tell her about that
And she'd probably want to get that rather than the Williams or Casio AP-200
Any stores in California Los Angeles / Long Beach area that sells the Korg LP350?

If you print out a copy of the Music123 cart and take it to a Guitar Center store, they will likely match the price (or at least come close).

You should call the store before you go to make sure they have it in stock, but I wouldn't ask them to match the price until you are in the store. If they don't have it in stock, ask them to check on their computer if any other guitar center stores in your area have it. The YDP-140 is fairly popular, so most likely they will have it.

Last edited by The_Linux_Crew; 08/20/09 10:07 AM.
OP Offline
So what do I tell them when I walk up to the register?
Because if I print out the cart, I think Guitar Center would be confused.
Are Music123 and Guitar Center related - in any way ?

[Linked Image]
T
T
So what do I tell them when I walk up to the register?
Because if I print out the cart, I think Guitar Center would be confused.
Are Music123 and Guitar Center related - in any way ?

Both stores are owned by the same company and Guitar Center has a 110% price match policy. That means they might even sell it for less than $850. However, I wouldn't push it because the 110% price guarantee is usually after the sale. They will likely match the price though.

Price match policy:

http://guitarcenter.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/guitarcenter.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1280

Last edited by The_Linux_Crew; 08/20/09 10:12 AM.
V
V
I thought that was Musiciansfriend.com that was the Web store for Guitar Center.
Did they acquire music123?

My 2 cents on the topic: if you can get the YDP-160 for under $1000 (and that is not impossible with such economy), it is a good cabinet DP, significantly better than the YDP-140 (action, amplification and piano voices are better).

OP Offline
EPIC thanks (=
Much appreciated! ^.^
Uhh, where do you find the promo codes? xP
I wanna get one [ for the korg ]
Ahaha :P
But that will be a second choice- definitely.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission