Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1252222 - 08/19/09 09:46 PM Larry Fine's new book and website are "live".
Larry Fine Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Thank you for your patience. Please read my special introductory letter to Piano World members.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1252225 - 08/19/09 09:56 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Larry Fine]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
A first class act - congratulations Larry!!

Norbert thumb thumb

#1252229 - 08/19/09 10:02 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Oh? You wrote a new book?

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1252243 - 08/19/09 10:23 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
Norbert Offline

Congratulations and sincere thanks also to Steve Cohen!

He made it happen to have it free for all online users!!

Norbert

#1252252 - 08/19/09 10:40 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Thanks Larry and Steve.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1252253 - 08/19/09 10:44 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Congratulations Larry, Alden, and Steve, great job!
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#1252254 - 08/19/09 10:45 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Piano World]
squonk Offline

Loc: California
Congratulations.

Now I'm never going to get any sleep.

#1252255 - 08/19/09 10:47 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Larry F.'s letter reinforces my expectation that he'll be able to retain his objectivity.

We often post re the increasing quality of Asian-made pianos, but I was struck by his mentioning that computerization has so broadly increased quality that he now sees his role as having changed from critic to guide.

And he's absolutely right about the consequence of the current expectation of money for nuthin' and chicks for free.

#1252308 - 08/20/09 12:58 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: FogVilleLad]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
We often post re the increasing quality of Asian-made pianos, but I was struck by his mentioning that computerization has so broadly increased quality that he now sees his role as having changed from critic to guide.

This is similiar to what I heared some say during my recent trip to Germany.

They said "we can't build for the price of Estonias and we'll most definitely never get anywhere near the cost of the Chinese".

"So, let's invent the next generation CNC machinery and sell that to them"

"If the Chinese are start building better and better pianos, go ahead, blame us - at least we'll make money with something".....

Norbert

#1252391 - 08/20/09 07:42 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Very nice. Easy navigation. Recommendations will start today for clients who have been asking about the online version! Thanks, guys!

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1252443 - 08/20/09 09:04 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Congratulations and sincere thanks also to Steve Cohen!

He made it happen to have it free for all online users!!

Norbert

No. The core ideas for the new business model, including creating the ability to provide the content free online were Larry's.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1252453 - 08/20/09 09:30 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I just spent the last 20-30 minutes wandering through the site. It's excellent! Lots of information, easy to navigate, looks good. Thank you.

Charles

#1252455 - 08/20/09 09:34 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
"Piano Buyer" is quite impressive, Larry. thumb Congratulations! In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with differences in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

I wish you the best of luck in this new venture.

#1252473 - 08/20/09 09:56 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Monica K.]
SophieM Offline

Loc: New York City
Larry et al - Thank you for providing the book on line for free! smile

Just a thought - I actually prefer the old rating system for pianos. There are definitely unmistakable variations in terms of performance and musicality among the pianos listed under Category 2 but they are all lumped together.... I guess this is meant as a very generic guide and the pianist must then discern for him/herself.

#1252474 - 08/20/09 09:57 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Monica K.]
pianoloverus Online   content

Originally Posted By: Monica K
In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with difference in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

As I count it there are 6 categories in the latest edition compared to about 13 in the previous one. But in neither one were the pianos in each group ranked. The pianos in each group in the last edition were listed alphabetically.

Edited by pianoloverus (08/20/09 09:58 AM)

#1252480 - 08/20/09 10:07 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Monica K.]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with differences in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

Originally Posted By: SophiaM
Just a thought - I actually prefer the old rating system for pianos. There are definitely unmistakable variations in terms of performance and musicality among the pianos listed under Category 2 but they are all lumped together.... I guess this is meant as a very generic guide and the pianist must then discern for him/herself.

Damned if you do...and damned if you don't! wink

LOL

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1252481 - 08/20/09 10:07 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: SophieM]
pianoloverus Online   content

Originally Posted By: SophieM
Larry et al - Thank you for providing the book on line for free! smile

Fine said there was no unaninimity of opinion among the techs who offered opinions about these pianos.

#1252483 - 08/20/09 10:11 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
SophieM Offline

I know, LOL! grin That's whay I sais "just a thought." Also people (at least me) don't like changes unless they are really necessary...

Congratulations again on a worthy undertaking! smile

#1252487 - 08/20/09 10:14 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: pianoloverus]
SophieM Offline

Very true. But I was just looking at it from a pianist point of view. That's why the standard forum adivce is to try as many pianos as you can and buy the one you like! smile

#1252550 - 08/20/09 11:18 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: M.O.P.]
Aliwally Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Wow!! Who said good things are not "FREE" anymore. Thanks to all who had their hands in this project. My only problem is between Pre-Season Football & The Buyer's Guide I will not get any rest this weekend.

Peace,
Aliwally

Always look ahead, but never look back. - Miles Davis

#1252558 - 08/20/09 11:32 AM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Aliwally]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
But I was just looking at it from a pianist point of view. That's why the standard forum adivce is to try as many pianos as you can and buy the one you like!

Which, as we all know, is the essence of things...

Norbert

#1252590 - 08/20/09 12:10 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
Just spent a few minutes skimming through and the online book looks great. I'm looking forward to reading more. I liked the piano ratings in the old supplements, but I think this works just fine too. Great job Larry, Steve, and everyone else who contributed.

Dan
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#1252625 - 08/20/09 12:58 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: DanLaura Larson]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I too like the old rating system, a bit more separation is easier to decipher.

To me it seems to be ranked more by price.

Some manufactures sell direct to dealers an there is no middle man getting a cut but the quality of said piano may be just as high or higher than a more expensive piano.

Also foreign currency, shipping costs & the middle man may put some pianos in a higher price range but it may not transfer to better quality.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#1252642 - 08/20/09 01:39 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
gosh.. i was going to mow.

the format is excellent.. how the pages zoom and turn.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1252651 - 08/20/09 01:59 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: apple*]
Steve Cohen Offline

As to the suggestion that pianos were ranked somewhat by price, I can tell you they were not. After the rankings had been determined we looked for the price ranges of those in each group.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

#1252656 - 08/20/09 02:10 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
Deerwood Dad Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Nobody is going to mention the elephant in the room? NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.

Edited by Deerwood Dad (08/20/09 02:55 PM)

#1252662 - 08/20/09 02:17 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Steve Cohen]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Canceled my webstore online order and ordered direct for a $aving. Browsed the online version and it looks great, but I prefer one on the shelf that I can grab whenever.
Hopefully, in the spring we will get a discounted pre-print notification/offer? smile

BTW... loved the website. Very easy to navigate!

Edited by Carl Mc (08/20/09 02:21 PM)

#1252704 - 08/20/09 03:06 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Strings & Wood]
Akshay Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Beautiful!

I will certainly order it once I am in the market for a grand. We should support
all the work that went into this!

#1252800 - 08/20/09 05:02 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Akshay]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.

Funny, I feel exactly same about Estonia.....

Norbert wink

#1252842 - 08/20/09 05:57 PM Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". [Re: Norbert]
Steve Cohen Offline

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.

Funny, I feel exactly same about Estonia.....

Norbert wink

Now THAT was funny! laugh

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
91 registered (A Guy, 36251, Al LaPorte, Allard, barbaram, 21 invisible), 1216 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318708 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission