2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1252844 08/20/09 06:02 PM
B
Byron S Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Here is my preface - my first instrument is the trumpet. It takes much of my free time and I practice for 2 or more hours a day. Each day, I pick up the horn and go through my practice routine - lip flexibilities, technical work and etudes, some specialized work and then a range study. I study with a private instructor for thirty minutes per week and follow a particular method of learning and development.

I have about an hour a day to dedicate to the piano, and I am very interested in taking it back up (i took lessons for three or four years as a youngster, never took it very seriously) and developing, over several years, an adequate understanding of the piano and how to play. I'm not willing to cut back on my trumpet time and I don't expect the piano will be something I will ever perform on in a public type situation.

So here is my question - with my trumpet, I'm used to my daily routine. I'm used to playing every day and rarely if ever skipping a day. I imagine piano players have a similar daily routine. Where would I find more information about methods of study and how I could set up a daily routine? Are there particular methods I could investigate and then 'take it from there' in terms of setting up a routine?

Last edited by Byron S; 08/20/09 06:03 PM.
Byron S #1252849 08/20/09 06:09 PM
The fundamentals of Piano practice are probably the most comprehensive free source for setting up a practice routine: http://www.pianofundamentals.com/

The rest you should really get from a teacher. For the pro's and con's of self-teaching vs. studying with a teacher see the various hotly debated threads in this forum as well as the Piano Teachers forum.

Oh. And welcome! laugh

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Bunneh #1252853 08/20/09 06:12 PM
B
Byron S Offline OP
OP Offline
B
thanks for the fast reply and great resource. it seems that "well begun is half done" so I don't want to mess it up!

Byron S #1252864 08/20/09 06:22 PM
B
Byron S Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm reading through this web page. I think I need to spend more time with it to understand how it translates to a practice routine.

I am pretty positive the piano teacher I used to have taught with the "intuitive" method. How well accepted are the ideas presented on this web page?

Byron S #1252871 08/20/09 06:26 PM
A few are crucial and almost never debated (practicing sections as tiny as possible as often as possible).

Some have valuable ideas and get you started on thinking about important but often overlooked topics (body tension, relaxation, memorization, interpretation, finger curvature and technique in general) but are disputed in their exact details.

...And some points several knowledgeable people here disagree with (can't name any from the top of my head).

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission