Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1253010 - 08/20/09 10:08 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: turandot]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: turandot
...the poster from Japan has never seen, heard, or played a Williams, but nonetheless never misses an opportunity to tell you that their touch and tone are inferior to just about everything else on the market.

The poster from Japan encouraged him to try one out for himself if he could. But since no one, possibly apart from Gyro, is able to recommend them, I can't do so in good conscience either.

Perhaps Williams will become popular in Japan. If that ever happens, I'll fly a pig down to the store and try one.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1253014 - 08/20/09 10:11 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Geoffk]
henrik Offline

Loc: malaysia
YDP140 feels lighter than LP350 and sounds a bit thinner, like P70/85
but YDP160's touch is miles better, very nice action

#1253086 - 08/21/09 12:55 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Geoffk]
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Geoffk
Originally Posted By: turandot
...the poster from Japan has never seen, heard, or played a Williams, but nonetheless never misses an opportunity to tell you that their touch and tone are inferior to just about everything else on the market.

The poster from Japan encouraged him to try one out for himself if he could. But since no one, possibly apart from Gyro, is able to recommend them, I can't do so in good conscience either.

Perhaps Williams will become popular in Japan. If that ever happens, I'll fly a pig down to the store and try one.

Fair enough that you can't recommend a Williams. But in the meantime, until you saddle up the pig grin, it might be a good idea to refrain from statements like this:

"Between those two [Korg and Williams], the Korg has a better action and possibly better sound. I would strongly recommend that one."

Statements such as this (and you have made many) give the incorrect impression that you have first-hand experience with Williams pianos.

#1253095 - 08/21/09 01:24 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: turandot]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa, USA
Just.Jose - My first keyboard lit up and played that annoying Titanic theme song ;-)

Your best bet, by far, on your limited budget is to focus on the keyboard action, rather than the sound, because you are not going to get great sound for that price. If you can get a $500 keyboard with halfway decent action, which I know Guitar center has, make sure it has USB out and get it. (I tried Williams at Guitar Center and while the sound was terrible the action wasn't that bad for the price.) Then download Pianoteq on your computer and try it (Buy itfor $350), spend $50 on an M-Audio USB sound device, hook some speakers into it, and you nearly have a $6000 Roland V-piano for less than $1000.

Yes you would get more realistic action with a $2000 DP, but you are on a budget.

Summary, focus on the action, not the sound, as you can get the best sound available doing the above with any keyboard.

#1253112 - 08/21/09 02:20 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: AlphaTerminus]
_just.jose Offline

Loc: California, USA
Originally Posted By: AlphaTerminus
Just.Jose - My first keyboard lit up and played that annoying Titanic theme song ;-)

Your best bet, by far, on your limited budget is to focus on the keyboard action, rather than the sound, because you are not going to get great sound for that price. If you can get a $500 keyboard with halfway decent action, which I know Guitar center has, make sure it has USB out and get it. (I tried Williams at Guitar Center and while the sound was terrible the action wasn't that bad for the price.) Then download Pianoteq on your computer and try it (Buy itfor $350), spend $50 on an M-Audio USB sound device, hook some speakers into it, and you nearly have a $6000 Roland V-piano for less than $1000.

Yes you would get more realistic action with a $2000 DP, but you are on a budget.

Summary, focus on the action, not the sound, as you can get the best sound available doing the above with any keyboard.

The keyboard will be in my living room, which- doesn't have a computer, hence, the sub for an acoustic. I also dont want to get an acoustic upright because I doubt that it has any headphones ... As for now, I'm on getting the Korg LP350, or the Arius YDP-140/160.

As for my wants/needs:

• Graded Hammer Action [ GHA ]
• 88-keys
• under $1000.00
• compact [ we're soon getting the 103" Panasonic Plasma screen TV for our living room -___- ]
• cabinet-styled

:P Both the KORG and YAMAHA fit both of those :\

Any pros/cons on the yamaha, or any tips to figure out which one I should get?

#1253117 - 08/21/09 02:36 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: _just.jose]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

On specs alone, I would go with the Korg over the Yamaha. The Yamaha speakers are considerably less powerful. However, play both for awhile at Guitar Center or something, maybe visit a piano shop and play an acoustic too to know what a real piano sounds and feels like, then get the one you like better. In a couple of years, when you may consider upgrading, think about spending $1000 on an extra PC or laptop, Pianoteq, and a couple monitor speakers to sit next or on your DP for a quick effective upgrade.

I was very happy with the $2200 PF-500 from Yamaha for about 5 years, but as I played better and listened to real pianos more I realized the sound and resonance/color among were lacking and was going to buy a Roland V-Piano vs a cheap grand for $6 thousand dollars but spent less than $1000 on Pianoteq, Monitor Speakers, and a Yamaha Audiogram 3 USB sound device and ended up with a much better bargain and a better or at least equal playing and sound experience. As for compactness, I still have the DP sitting in the dining room, looking more or less the same as before (except for the speakers), as the PC is underneath it.

Good luck with your purchase!

Edited by AlphaTerminus (08/21/09 02:37 AM)

#1253131 - 08/21/09 04:12 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Geoffk]
Ludwig van Bilge Offline

If you're happy with it, than it's fine. But it's like saying, "I don't need to read books; I can just get an audiobook for anything I want". Yes, that would work, but it's clumsy and time consuming. Once you learn to read, you'll find it actually works much better. It's the same with sight-reading music. Your skills will improve faster, and you'll have a much wider range of source material.

Clumsy and time consuming?
Perhaps you're right Geoffk. Perhaps reading the dots & blips on the paper, interpreting the bizarre language of sheet music, correlating it to piano keys and doing all this while playing piano without looking is easier than learning the notes directly from the keyboard. To my mind it's like saying that it's easier to land a 747 on a dark night in a blizzard if you do it while carving a Thanksgiving turkey & texting on the cell phone.

Anyhow, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Cheers.

#1253155 - 08/21/09 06:04 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Vincent L.]
bobbo Offline

Originally Posted By: Vincent L.
Gyro, I still do not understand why you keep such acoustic hidden in a storage - What is the model (and serial #)? I might have friends who would be interested to buy it from you if the price is right.

Gyro keeps the acoustic chained up in a dark dungeon downstairs and sneers at it while gloating over his collection of cheap digitals.

#1253165 - 08/21/09 06:38 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Ludwig van Bilge]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted By: Ludwig van Bilge
Perhaps reading the dots & blips on the paper, interpreting the bizarre language of sheet music, correlating it to piano keys and doing all this while playing piano without looking is easier than learning the notes directly from the keyboard. To my mind it's like saying that it's easier to land a 747 on a dark night in a blizzard if you do it while carving a Thanksgiving turkey & texting on the cell phone

Actually the "Clumsy and time consuming" reference was to my hypothetical audiobook analogy. But I understand what you're saying. Just consider this:

- The more complex the music is, the harder it gets to do what you propose. I shudder to think of trying to learn Chopin or Lizst by copying as the notes fly past.
- Even in typing, you're taught not to look at your hands because it slows you down. This is true for piano too.
- Sheet music lets you view the overall structure of the work, and see where the melody is going. It's like a visual road map of the music, once you get used to it.
- As you noted light up instruments are scarce. By getting rid of them, you free yourself to use the vast majority of (usually better) keyboards available.

Of course, piano is for fun, and you should do what you enjoy. But learning to read music and trying to sightread are skills that are worth having, even if it's a little hard to pick up at first.

#1253298 - 08/21/09 11:00 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Geoffk]
The_Linux_Crew Offline

I'm not sure if that matters to me, Geoffk. I've no intention of learning to sight read. I find that I can learn music from the guide lights driven by MIDI files. The MIDIs are easy to find on the web or with a little work I can make my own. What's wrong with that?

Once you learn to read, you'll find it actually works much better. It's the same with sight-reading music. Your skills will improve faster, and you'll have a much wider range of source material.

... and it is fairly easy to learn.

#1253540 - 08/21/09 04:40 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: The_Linux_Crew]
_just.jose Offline

WOWW. It's like a verbal wrestling match!
Haha, well- I would have to agree with Geoffk on the topic of sight reading music.

Sure, I found the light-up keyboard 'fun' when I first got it, but I'm trying to learn some Beethoven and Chopin now, and I highly doubt that MIDI files will help me x_x.

I think typing came easily for me... when I was in the 4th grade, I was already typing faster than my computer-lab teacher that we had at school.

And I do see the difference from when I type with having to look at my fingers, as comparison to just having to look at the screen...

To my mind it's like saying that it's easier to land a 747 on a dark night in a blizzard if you do it while carving a Thanksgiving turkey & texting on the cell phone.

That was funny! x] Haha... 'While carving a thanksgiving turkey' ? x] Don't you mean Halloween pumpkin? laugh

... Okay, back to topic: WELL- I am probably going to get a laptop in 2-4 years from now... and it's 100% going to be a Mac. But 'Houston, we have a problem.'-
the Korg LP350 doesn't have much space for a laptop to fit near it, because it has a lift/slow falling cover.

#1253559 - 08/21/09 05:07 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: _just.jose]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'd have to agree that light up keys are a dead end. Get the $1.56 Hal Leonard Student Keyboard Guide Template It's a piece of plastic with pictures of the notes that stands vertically along the 88 keys on the back of your keyboard.

You can learn it in 1 day. Don't use the magical light up keyboard, PLEASE!

Edited by AlphaTerminus (08/21/09 05:08 PM)

#1253587 - 08/21/09 06:07 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: AlphaTerminus]
_just.jose Offline

WOOT WOOT GUYS !
I'm trying/getting the DP today! :]
Wish me luck [x
Trying the ... Korg - Yamaha ARIUS YDP-140 - Williams Overture Elite - Casio AP-200 - Acoustic
This should be fun ^_^
Thanks everyone for the input in helping me get the DP (:
Much appreciated !

-Jose P.

#1253716 - 08/21/09 09:06 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: _just.jose]
_just.jose Offline

UGHH .
Guitar Center didn't even HAVEE the Korg :\
The 140 felt ... okay- it was a decent feel.
Williams Overture Elite felt somewhat light, but it was fine.
The Casio AP-200 felt nice, but the sound quality wasn't in my favor.
Anyone else know where I could find the Korg LP-350?

#1253771 - 08/21/09 10:50 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: _just.jose]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Online. I've had good experiences with MusiciansFriend.com and Kraft Music. Musicians Friend is owned by Guitar Center I believe but they have a wider selection.

#1253792 - 08/21/09 11:44 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: AlphaTerminus]
_just.jose Offline

Is there a store? :\
Cause we can't get it online ...
Were about to leave to New York on the 26th ...
and we won't be here for delivery .

I was thinking of just getting the Casio PX-800 or the Yamaha Arius YDP-140
:\
The Privia, the ONLY reason I'm getting that is cause right after we get it, ther'se coldstone's next to it
Free ice cream x]

#1253798 - 08/21/09 11:53 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: _just.jose]
AlphaTerminus Offline
500 Post Club Member

I guess you'd have to call around your area and ask. Musician's Friend does have reasonable 2-day delivery rates, so you could get it the 24th or 25th without too much expense.

#1253814 - 08/22/09 12:20 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: AlphaTerminus]
NoFingers Offline

Loc: USA
Or you could wait till you get back???

#1253818 - 08/22/09 12:26 AM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: NoFingers]
_just.jose Offline

When I get back, it's school registration... and my mom && dad will be working

#1254184 - 08/22/09 06:18 PM Re: Korg LP350 -vs- Williams Symphony Elite [Re: Vincent L.]
The_Linux_Crew Offline

Originally Posted By: Vincent L.
Gyro, I still do not understand why you keep such acoustic hidden in a storage - What is the model (and serial #)? I might have friends who would be interested to buy it from you if the price is right.

I understand where Gyro is coming from. An upright acoustic is large, heavy, and needs to be maintained. A DP is virtually maintenance free (never needs tuning). I also see lots of ads for acoustic uprights on Craigslist that are either dirt cheap or free (as long as you agree to move it). Why are so many people giving away acoustic pianos if they are so great?

My son has been playing on acoustic and digital pianos for 7 years and he says that our new YDP-160 is the best piano he has ever played.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
10/26/14 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
10/25/14 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (alfredo capurso, 0987654321, Anticlock, 15 invisible), 1025 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission