2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1254211 08/22/09 07:14 PM
H
hyona Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I am looking to trade in a Rosler upright (petrov family). It is a 44 inch former Chzechoslavakia piano. It looks and sounds great, just looking to upgrade. If have been trying to find value on this but have not had any luck. Any ideas on this?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If it is one of the black satin vinyl finish consoles, I would suggest $600-$800 wholesale value to a dealer. Name recognition in most markets is 0. Demand for the cabinet finish look is nearly 0 in the used market. Decent piano inside.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
H
hyona Offline OP
OP Offline
H
thank you. Wow that doesn't sound like a whole lot. It has a glossy walnut finish, at least that is what it looks like.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Then the value goes up to just about double what I posted before.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It depends on the age and condition. Here's an old 44 incher that I've played. $1200 is a very low asking price for any piano at a retail shop, so that will tell you what the retailer thinks of it.

http://www.ipianos.com/viewpiano.php?pianos_id=524

It plays rough and the tone is subpar compared to modern-day Petrof product.

Note the serial number and compare with yours. Hopefully, it's much newer. One thing to bear in mind is that Petrof is the company's top line, Weinbach is second level, and Rosler is the third. Another thing is that if it's a Soviet occupation era vintage, it will most likely have very little actual value to the dealer.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
F
Fun Offline
F
It's interesting to hear the Rosler name, as the first piano I played about 30 years ago was a Rosler. Then my mom purchases a Petrof, and I played it for the next 10 years. I played a grand in a concert hall in my home town a few times, and it was a Petrof. So these pianos define what piano "should" sound for me smile

When my sis was shopping for piano at around 1995, we played many different pianos and settle for a Petrof upright. Few years later when I shopped for piano, I ended up with a Petrof upright too. Now, I'm shopping for a grand, and who know what I'll end up. Our local dealer no longer carry Petrof though! So far, I felt Estonia is the closest to Petrof (& probably better, but hard to define this).

Sorry to post something irrelevant, but can't resist because Rosler was the 1st piano I played. Hopefully you will find a good buyer for the piano.

Estonia L190 in Pyramid Mahogany, Petrof 125F in Ebony Polished
Dark Love
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It doesn't seem irrelevant to me. It's kind of sad though that your chain of owner loyalty might be broken. You're about two years too late for a reasonably priced Petrof. Prices have gone through the roof since then. You might find some old stock though if you're willing to shop outside your hometown. P IV, P III, and P II are being phased out, and they are all terrific grands.

H
hyona Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for that, we love the rosler but want to get a grand, don't know which one yet.

H
hyona Offline OP
OP Offline
H
it looks like mine is from 1971, the serial nr. is 63255. Mine looks a darker than on your pictures, but very simular

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think the $600-800 wholesale value is probably the best that you could expect for a piano that old, particularly in today's economy. However, what you get as a trade-in will depend on how anxious the dealer is to bargain.

Semipro Tech
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
1971 is as bad as 1964. It was 1968 when the hammer and sickle rolled in the tanks and really put the screws to Czechoslovakia. Still, if you love that Rosler, I'll bet it's a pretty nice piano. How about getting it tuned and trying craigslist?

The thing with the trade-in is that the dealer needs to make money on both ends of the deal. He needs to sell your trade-in at a profit and get his margin on the new grand as well. If the dealer gives you more $ in trade than he can expect from resale, invariably the price he negotiates with you on the new grand will take into account his expected loss on the trade-in. Simply speaking, your negotiating position on a new grand is much better and clearer without a trade-in.

H
hyona Offline OP
OP Offline
H
that makes sense, thanks for the input

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission