2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BarbVA Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I've read all of the posts about people experiencing pain while playing, and know that the generic response is improper technique.

But would it make a difference, and is there a solution or different response, if someone has a pre-existing neck and shoulder injury? In my case its from a car accident about 10 years ago. To this day I can't carry a heavy purse on that side without having the same symptoms that I occasionally get from playing piano, and I'm not aware of a proper purse carrying technique, lol. I'm considering seeing a chiropractor but not sure if that will solve the problem or not. Besides piano playing I've learned over the years to compensate for the injury (carrying a tiny light purse, using my torso instead of my arms or shoulders for power when kayaking and such, always carried the babes on the opposite side, ect)).

I'm at the point that I'm not convinced this is something I can easily overcome. Insurance doesn't want to pay for physical therapy since its been so long ago. And stupid me settled the case after just 2 weeks, for practically nothing as I didn't think it would last a life time. As I'm getting older I'm seeing more and more impact on my daily life and enjoyment. Thoughts, ideas, advice?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, but I did just want to say I'm sorry and I hope you find a solution. I do understand, as I have several "dessicated" cervical discs from my own accident back in the '80s in a Jeep in the desert (I wasn't driving).

This made me abort my attempts to add violin and later cello to my instrument list. I'm fortunate in that sitting at the piano bench doesn't cause me problems about 90% of the time, outside of a weakness/deadness in the left palm that makes certain things difficult.

The only advice I can give (no doctor here) is to ensure that your bench height is correct so that when you place your hands dormant on the keyboard you don't feel any pull or tension. And then try to relax everything while playing and let the notes flow. This also produces better music...I've slowly learned.

Best of luck!

1986 Yamaha C7E (owned since it was new...we've had quite a journey together)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwayingTree65
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Barb,

I'm not a doctor either, but I've had some experience with hand/arm pain (severe enough to stop work, unpaid leave, for a month while sorting it out, and recuperating with no piano for several months after).

I do think your previous injury could affect you (how could it not?)

For me, finding a *good* chiropractor has been invaluable, along with finding a good massage therapist!

My chiropractor works alot with musicians and computer people (she thinks my problems were/are more from too many hours of bad posture at the computer). And, fixing that was NOT fast... but I can type and play again, with only minimal flare-ups, so I'm happy.

(she also helped me recently when I was in a minor car accident, about a month and a half treatment, but my neck is now fine - THANKFULLY!)

The massage seemed just as helpful, if not more so, in my case - but I really needed someone who knew about "trigger points" to help me. My massage therapist worked through my chiropractor's office, and was very "medically knowledgable"

I still do chiropractic and massage about once a month, to keep everything in good shape. But often, I do self-massage on my arms if I have problems between visits, and it helps.

This book was helpful in understanding trigger points, how they refer pain to other parts of the body, and how to get to them through self massage:

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point...mp;s=books&qid=1250996616&sr=8-1

Sorry for going on, my brain is still scattered from piano shopping! - but hopefully this helps. I'd definitely say if you can find a good chiropractor and massage therapist, it's well worth it for treatment. I think there are quite a few out there though that aren't as competent...

Hope you can get it all worked out, I wish you were local, I'd recommend my chiropractor to you!

-saerra

B
BarbVA Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you both!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
there is a famous pianist.. Stanislav Ioudenitch who suffered a serious back injury. He made a bench for himself that is very low to the floor to accomodate his injury.

i can't find a picture of him but his shoulders are about level with the keyboard.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission