Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#504135 - 09/18/08 09:29 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
Yes, i do recall those comments from Richter himself on the Enigma DVD. He says his pitch went up a half tone, and that that was the beginning of the end of his performing career.
Earlier in the film, he s asked about his practice routine. Richter says he s set fot 3 hours a day, and that he never really played more than that except from when he needed to learn a piece on short notice. After that they ask his wife, and she says "no way!", and that she s seen him practice 6,8, 10 hours a day many many many times ...

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#504136 - 09/19/08 02:35 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wood-demon:

I don't have perfect pitch so don't know if my pitch perception has changed with age but, it seems to me, that I no longer hear the bass of the piano with the clarity I used to....strange as age is supposed to reduce hearing at the upper end of the sound spectrum. [/b]
That is happening to me, too, a bit. My theory is that it may be because some, perhaps most, of how we perceive the pitch of the lowest notes is actually through their upper harmonics, and I'm guessing that the hearing loss in that higher range affects our ability to resolve the pitch of low notes. I'm glad I don't play the contrabassoon.

#1254644 - 08/23/09 03:21 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Wood-demon]
kettel Offline

Have anyone tried playing with gloves? open fingered of course. It does put some restrictions on the fingers and really gets them to move more independently. But fearing from my drumming experiences, more restrictions could change the entire feeling.

#1254678 - 08/23/09 04:41 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: kettel]
Akshay Offline

Loc: Netherlands
According to http://www.musiciansgallery.com/tribute/michelangeli/arturo_benedetti.htm

"Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli had an artisan's concept of his job of pianist. To play, he used to say, means labour. It means to feel a great ache in the arms and in the shoulders. He practiced up to eight, ten hours per day, in quest for an equilibrium between the long for the sound effects that the instrument cannot yield and the sensitiveness that allows one to steal the maximum from it nonetheless, as he used to say to his disciples. He used to work on a piece until it was technically perfect, then he began to think about its interpretation. He stopped practicing just a couple of days before the last rehearsal, not to go on the stage with his hands and his mind tainted by the mechanics of exercise."

#1254715 - 08/23/09 06:03 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Akshay]
NocturneLover Offline

Loc: Dantooine
Thanks for the link to the Brower's works keyboardklutz.

#1254728 - 08/23/09 06:36 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: keyboardklutz]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
Quote:
Originally posted by Αντώνης Κυριαζής:
I believe further that regular physical exercise to the hands will develop all muscles equally,
That will only create insensitive muscle control which is not of much use. You need to feel the action as your finger sinks into to the key.

and welcome to PW!

Nonsense. I often play much better after lifting weights in the gym. I wouldn't risk it before a concert, but the idea that exercise is always harmful is totally bogus. Such unequivocal statements are really silly. There are SOME things that will reduce sensitivity. That does not mean that all forms of exercise are bad. For example, there's a big difference between swinging a 20k dumbell about with no control and slowly lifting an 8kg with evenly aligned grip.

Arrau always insisted on carrying his own suitcases everywhere. I think he actually saw it as beneficial.

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (08/23/09 06:38 PM)

#1254731 - 08/23/09 06:43 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: izaldu]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: izaldu
Yes, i do recall those comments from Richter himself on the Enigma DVD. He says his pitch went up a half tone, and that that was the beginning of the end of his performing career.
Earlier in the film, he s asked about his practice routine. Richter says he s set fot 3 hours a day, and that he never really played more than that except from when he needed to learn a piece on short notice. After that they ask his wife, and she says "no way!", and that she s seen him practice 6,8, 10 hours a day many many many times ...

I once had a similar kind of thing, with a really bad hangover. It's really odd to play a piece and hear it in different key. Fortunately it returned to normal, by the end of day.

#1254756 - 08/23/09 07:25 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: wr]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
quote:"But I agree that there are pianists with great facility who really don't need to work all that hard, if at all."

I could not disagree with this statement more. NO pianist gets to any level of 'greatness' without lots and lots of dedicated and focused hard work.
I think a lot of players that aren't at the level they want to be at buy into to this idea of not having a level of 'natural talent' as a justification for their shortcomings. Sure some people are definately more predisposed to certain talents but in the big picture hard work counts for 99% of ANY pianists accomplishments.

I've personally asked Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Anton Kuerti, Fred Hersch, Geoffery Keezer, and Valerie Tryon (all world class masters) what it takes to get to their level of technique and artistry and they all gave a variation of the very same answer: HARD AND CONSISTENT WORK.

Perhaps the reason that some of the more 'seasoned' pianists only need 2 hours of practice a day (as opposed to 7-10 in their youth) is
that they've learned over the years how to be far more efficient with their time and can accomplish in 1 hour what used to take 3.

#1254922 - 08/24/09 03:36 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: AJF]
dave solazzo Offline

Loc: syracuse ny
ajf,

wow, you met and got a chance to talk to all those pianists! lucky you.

where did you meet oscar? i saw him live three times, twice at the blue note in nyc and once solo in buffalo...all amazing shows.

i saw chick corea at the syracuse jazz festival in 1988 and i got a chance to meet him after the show. i remember him being the nicest guy you could ever imagine.

Edited by dave solazzo (08/24/09 03:37 AM)

#1254928 - 08/24/09 04:24 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: dave solazzo]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Thanks Dave.
I can be kind of pushy when I want to meet someone. I guess it pays off sometimes:)
I met Oscar in Mississauga Ontario which is where he lived. I had the good fortune of being in a band that opened for him at a fundraiser for Oscar Peterson Public School. He was a real gentleman and told me he liked my playing! Wow was that ever a night to remember.
I couldn't agree with you more about Chick. It's nice to see someone who's had so much success creatively and professionally still treat his fans with attentiveness and respect and gratitude. For me, a real hero.
Cheers,
Adrean

#1398905 - 03/18/10 08:11 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Libraboy]
Ogden Offline

Loc: Pontypridd, Wales
I don;t think famous pianists are lying but I think rather that the pieces he practises are very advanced anyway so he uses scales, trills, octaves, finger runs, thirds, sixths etc. within those pieces he plays. You would only have to play for twenty minutes playing Chopin etudes to have a workout on scales, thirds, sixths, octaves at high speed to maintain both technique and artistry. Two HOURS of playing etudes or concertos or sonatas would maintain a very high level of playing - in two hours you could play three concertos, or both books of Chopin's etudes, or 8 Beethoven sonatas. I think that would be enough for anyone! My music teacher used to practise Chopin's Black Keys study everyday to keep his fingers loose and nothing else.

After hearing Paganini Liszt famously practised trills, thirds, scales, sixths, octaves ... for 5-6 hours a day.

Chopin

#1398919 - 03/18/10 08:32 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Ogden]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Zombie thread has risen from the grave! shocked

#1399025 - 03/19/10 12:04 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Kreisler]
LaReginadellaNotte Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I have a theory that a lot of the pianists who say they only practice 1-4 hours a day had a much different regimen earlier in life.

That's a good point. According to the Glenn Plaskin biography, Horowitz told his pupil Byron Janis (in the 1940's) that he (Horowitz) only practices for two hours a day. However, in a 1932 interivew, Horowitz said: "I practice four hours a day and have done so for years. An artist must keep up a large repertoire, and must continually add to it. The new compositions require new technic also." http://nettheim.com/horowitz/horowitz32.html

#1399054 - 03/19/10 01:15 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: -Frycek]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Zombie thread has risen from the grave! shocked

It is not the first time.... laugh We live in Zombieland....

Music is my best friend.

#1774885 - 10/21/11 09:25 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: RichterForever]
whitfit Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I know this is a zombie thread, but I couldn't resist commenting on this:

Originally Posted By: RichterForever

...I also tend to agree with Wood-Demon that Gould's reputation was cultivated around an image of controversy and eccentricity which I sometimes feel was deliberately crafted for effect. That he is one of the greats, there can be no question. But is it reasonable to speculate that his reputation and legacy is centred more around this image than it is around his playing? I realise this is a controversial view and apologise if it is offensive to any one of his legion of followers.

I love Gould, and though I don't find this offensive, I think it misses the point a bit. He definitely cultivated his persona, image and perception. He was also genuinely loopy, and a genius, and at the same time insightful and able to speak effectively and plainly about music. He was an ardent fan of, and user of media, believing that a recording/broadcast should be crafted, and that means manipulation. There was no subterfuge there - it is stated and plain.

What I do think is silly is when people get too wrapped up in whether Gould's output, or anything, is "authentic". A better question is, is it interesting?

The other thing I would say is that hearing him talk about music, he is one of the most accessible - and at the same time complex - commentators and broadcasters that I have ever heard discussing classical music. If you haven't seen any of that footage, I recommend watching it, and maybe that will add some insight into what he was up to.

#1781358 - 11/01/11 07:44 PM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Libraboy]
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Republic of Macedonia
Time is of no consequence in the creative process.

#1822606 - 01/11/12 07:35 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: gooddog]
TracyBrunei Offline

yes smile more relax and understand with ur mind when u r out from ur piano...

#1822733 - 01/11/12 11:48 AM Re: Famous pianists' daily practice routine [Re: Libraboy]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Noone ever gets a virtuoso technique without lots and lots and lots of practice. I read some reliable research done a few years ago which found that the main difference between a sucessful concert pianist and a jobbing one trying to make ends meet is simply the much greater amount of hours the former puts into daily practice, especially in their childhood and teens.

One can easily see what's happening now with Asian pianists dominating the conservatoires and music colleges in USA: the Chinese have very strong work ethic drilled into them from childhood as well as respect for elders and teachers etc - this applies even to second generation immigrants. The applicants of Chinese descent for those institutions likely practise twice as much as those from other ethnic groups. They're not necessarily more innately talented than the others. Tiger mums (and dads) are common amoung Chinese families.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Uneven piano keys
by shah
10/23/14 08:57 AM
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
10/23/14 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
10/23/14 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
10/23/14 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/23/14 02:13 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (ajames, anotherscott, accordeur, Alexander Borro, anamnesis, 33 invisible), 1623 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76623 Members
42 Forums
158439 Topics
2326794 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission