2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 108 of 190 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancymae
Question for those doing the Christmas book one....how do you use that accompaniment section for each of the songs? I find it rather small to read from...should I blow it up and play that instead of the melody? Is it for duets? Any help or insight would be appreciated!

I don't have that particular Christmas book, but I'm guessing that the small section on the bottom is for the teacher to accompany the student and make the piece sound richer.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I'm trying to practice scales and I hate them. Boring.... Boring.... Boring.... Over and over and over.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GracieCat
I'm trying to practice scales and I hate them. Boring.... Boring.... Boring.... Over and over and over.

me too...haha im on the e minor section in book 2. i wish it were book 3 though. but i always thought playing scales does nothing for you, the total opposite is true.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
D
D
I haven't posted for a while. I am just starting Frankie and Johnnie. I am having trouble playing the long-short eighth notes with both hands together. I can do it separtely but when I try to play them together I mess up. Does anybody else have trouble with this. I may not be able to get too far with this this week. I am expecting company this week. Am also trying to learn some christmas music.

Almost finished Mexican Hat Dance!

That batch of Mexican tunes are almost history... yipee!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by starbug
Almost finished Mexican Hat Dance!

That batch of Mexican tunes are almost history... yipee!!

thumb yippie

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Come on mom3gram!.. let's spur everyone onward in book 2..

Note to future time travelers partaking in AIO BK 2. Those 6/8 annoying.. frustrating.. maddening.. Mexican pieces don't go on forever.. it only feels like it!!

Why so many of the same style "in a row" Alfred Publishing?? Are you trying to teach us a lesson or something!! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't done anything in Book 2 for a couple of weeks now, starbug. I'm working on Christmas music, scales, and my Faber Adult book. I also tried reviewing "The Stranger" from Book 1 today. It looks like I forgot most of it, but I got the first half of it back with a little work. You could say that I'm doing a little remedial work. Let me know how you like whatever comes after Mexican Hat Dance - maybe Tarantella?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
The Alfred series is relatively new. They are very easy compared to the older method books. They're low stress. It'll just take longer to be able to play more advanced music. I still use the Eric Steiner method books written in the 1950's becuase thet move at a more rapid pace.

Infinity
Pianist and Teacher
West Orange, NJ
www.pianolessonsnj.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's funny, because if Alfred moved any faster, I would never have made it out of Book 1. In fact, sometimes I think I should still be in Book 1.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
P
P
Just a few more songs untill Night Song, looking forward to that one.

Working on Scherzo. Fun, fun! And, ooops, I skipped many songs to get there. I'm not going to waste my time on songs I don't like anymore. I'll go back and play through them some, but that's it. It's so much more fun to play stuff I like.

Also, I've been out looking at digital pianos. I need something I can play at night when my kids are in bed and at other times. My piano is in the living room so I can't play when people are watching TV either.

Also working on Frosty the snowman. Not too exciting there. I memorized one of my cassical pieces and was going to submit it to the ABF recital, but I got distracted and didn't get a chance to record it.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
P
P
Originally Posted by GracieCat
Working on Scherzo. Fun, fun! And, ooops, I skipped many songs to get there. I'm not going to waste my time on songs I don't like anymore. I'll go back and play through them some, but that's it. It's so much more fun to play stuff I like.

My teacher tells me it's no big deal to skip a few songs if I don't like them, but I always feel like I might be missing out on something that I should be learning if I don't do them. I might skip the Hokey Pokey though, it doesn't really seem like it has anything new to teach me and it's a crappy song.

Last edited by Physics; 11/29/10 08:44 PM.
M
M
I am trying to get a grip on D Major. My problem however is trying to remember the Primary Chords in the preceeding keys I have studied in books 1 and up to where I am in book 2. I would like to do a little bit of jazz in different keys but just can't remember these chords or know what to do when I'm looking at the chords on the page. Probably haven't explained myself clearly but got to say that I'm fighting my way through book two as I find some of it quite dry. Anyway, any advice?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm back home today after spending two weeks without a piano. I had a good visit with my daughter and her family. When I got back this morning I had some lunch, and then took a nap. (I woke up at 4:00 a.m. to get to the airport). Later I played through most of the pieces in two of my Christmas books. I haven't checked too see if I still remember the first half of Mexican Hat Dance yet. I had it down pretty good before I left. I think I will wait till tomorrow to work on that. Can you get jet-lag with only a one hour time difference? LOL

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Let's have a little update on where everyone is in the book. I know at this point many are working on Christmas stuff or in other books in addition to this.

Still working on Scherzo. Most of my time is in Alfred's Christmas book #1. I haven't bothered much with the level 2 Christmas book.

Went to Guitar center again yesterday to try out some of the digital pianos. Then some older guy comes in and asks to have a big speaker plugged into the keyboard I had just looked at. So they do that and he turns the thing on and proceeds to start playing some blues stuff. I just wanted to cry and walk out. It gave me the "Blues" seeing how great he was and how much I suck.

I never have had any problem appreciating someone's playing, but the direct contrast between my "playing" and his was huge. I would only expect that, but wow, it really discouraged me.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was halfway through "Mexican Hat Dance" before I went away for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving. Since getting back I've been concentrating solely on Christmas music. I too am playing level 1 Christmas pieces. I have the Alfred Adult All-in-one Merry Christmas" book and a Bastien level 1 too. the Bastien one is a bit easier, but I like the Alfred one better. I thought about getting the level 2, but I hadn't mastered all of the level 1's yet. I also have an Alfred Basic 1B Christmas hits book, and have mastered the likes of "Frosty the Snowman", "Rudolph", and "Here Comes Suzie Snowflake" (remember that one?). They should be a hit with my grandkids on Christmas. I still like playing "Greensleeves" (What Child is This) from the AIO 1 book too. That and "Silent Night" are my favorites.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
I have all of the Christmas Book 1 pieces down up to page 18 (after that a few of them in various stages of 'perfection') along with a couple others I found online (White Christmas and The Holly and the Ivy). I also resurrected Greensleeves from the All In One book 1. I have about a dozen that I would be comfortable playing for guests in the next couple weeks.

As far as my regular stuff I have finally finished Alexanders' Ragtime Band and am almost there with Solace. I have just started working on La Bamba and have to say so far I don't mind it. I was also working on Somewhere Over the Rainbow and have that pretty good and my teacher says we'll look for another supplemental piece at my next lesson.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sounds like you're doing great Doug.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
Hello,

I'm new and wanted to join in. I started playing the piano in July on a Yamaha PSR-295. I used this keyboard through Alfred's book 1. After book 1 I decided it was time for a teacher and a piano. I was fortunate in that I found a teacher three doors down from me. I was unfortunate in that it was hard to acquire the piano due to lack of selection in my local area. I ended up traveling 200 miles to find one. I'm glad that is over with. Piano buying was about as much fun as car buying.

I'm currently on Alfred's book 2. I don't have the all in one so from what I can tell I am missing a few songs. Bummer too as I think Hava Nagila must be fun. I'm currently on "Rock A My Soul" and "You're in my Heart". I'm really enjoying the piano. I don't even mind the boring scales. Looking ahead it looks like scales might come in handy for "Night Song".

I'm enjoying reading everyone's learning experiences. Sometimes I think it's hard but I get encouraged when I see someone who was struggling with a piece and then a post or two later I see them say "I got it"!

I practice about an hour a day with a mix of scales and Alfred. I'll admit that sometimes I'd like something different but I keep using Alfred. It makes me feel like I'm making progress to turn the pages. My plan is to make it through book three and then maybe branch out into other interests. I figure Alfred has something to teach me weather I realize it at the time is a different story. Learning the piano is giving me an appreciation for the classics which is something I never thought I would have.

I look forward to progressing with everyone here. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by beenlookin; 12/11/10 12:59 PM.

1985 Japanese (2 pedal) Yamaha G2
Page 108 of 190 1 2 106 107 108 109 110 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission