2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
adapa Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, Im new to the forums! If anyone played the G-minor ballade by Chopin, i would be very grateful for some advice on the usage of the una corda pedale.

Right now im only using it in the scherzando section, but I dont know if it would be proper to use it on the beginning in the g-minor theme and the introduction of the second theme in eb major, if that makes any sense(i dont have bar numbers).

Is this intended to be played with the una corda or am i just making it sound damped and boring using it?
Which option do you think makes the more beautiful sound?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I presume that you are playing on a grand, because on an upright the only thing the so-called una corda pedal does is move the action closer to the keys to give a shorter striking distance and hence a softer sound. On a grand, with the shift from three strings to two strings the una corda changes the tonal character of the sound. Much of the degree of effect of the una corda can vary considerably from one grand to another, so it would not make too much sense to offer a categorical recommendation.

However, and if you are playing on a grand, I can't quite imagine using the una corda pedal much at all in the G minor Ballade, except for maybe the occasional touch of it for a phrase or two of special effect. Even in softer passages, such as the meno mosso starting at measure 68, I think you need a fullness of tone that might be lost or at least compromised by the use of the una corda. If you want a softer sound, that should be controlled through touch and not through use of the una corda.

I don't know what you are referring to by "the scherzando section," as none of my copies of the score has "scherzando" marked anywhere.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
I don't know what you are referring to by "the scherzando section," as none of my copies of the score has "scherzando" marked anywhere.

In the Paderewski edition, it's the episode starting at bar 138.

Steven

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Originally Posted by BruceD

In the Paderewski edition, it's the episode starting at bar 138.

Steven

Found it; thank you.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
F
F
I have only ever used the una corda on a grand piano in the Ballade at the Meno mosso at measure 68. When I'm playing at home, on my upright, I tend to use a lot more of the "fake" una corda since my piano at home plays really bad piano/pianissimo unless I do that.

Since you mentioned you didn't have measure numbers, 68 is the introduction of the second theme. I personally would not use it during the first theme, as I think that the melody should be soft but clearly ring out, something that the una corda pedal doesn't do well unless you're REALLY good.

As BruceD said, it is much more important to learn proper touch than to rely on the una corda for a soft sound.

Last edited by Fredil; 08/26/09 07:38 PM.
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Fredil
I have only ever used the una corda on a grand piano in the Ballade at the Meno mosso at measure 68. When I'm playing at home, on my upright, I tend to use a lot more of the "fake" una corda since my piano at home plays really bad piano/pianissimo unless I do that.

Since you mentioned you didn't have measure numbers, 68 is the introduction of the second theme. I personally would not use it during the first theme, as I think that the melody should be soft but clearly ring out, something that the una corda pedal doesn't do well unless you're REALLY good.

As BruceD said, it is much more important to learn proper touch than to rely on the una corda for a soft sound.

I'd agree on many pianos, but it's solely down to the instrument. The problem with such a question is that there is no answer that can be universally applied. It's all down to what character the piano offers.

Learn not to need it in practise, but don't shy away from using it in performance, if you get the right sound.

A
adapa Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the advice! I think im going to refrain from using the left pedal in the ballade, it doesnt feel right in the touch. Im playing on an upright aswell, probably will get easier with a grand piano.

F
F
Good call smile Good luck, the Ballade is a wonderful, beautiful piece!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission