Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1258220 - 08/28/09 08:55 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: plester102
The student/parent is the employer. The teacher is the employee. An employee may be fired/dismissed for a variety of reasons. Many employers do not provide a lenghty explanation as to the why.

Remember teacher = employee.

In some cultures, teachers are gods. At a piano festival last year, I saw a father and his daughter saying good-bye to their piano teacher, and they gave her a respectful bow. I evaluate hundreds of piano students each year at their annual exam, and last year one girl bowed to me as she said good-bye. For some reason, these respectful girls play the piano masterfully. Perhaps they view the teacher-student relationship as more of a master-disciple relationship and less as a business transaction.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1258231 - 08/28/09 09:09 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: AZNpiano]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I don't mind teachers being thought of as employees, but I think it's important to know exactly what you're paying for:

You are paying for the *availability* of *help* in *learning*

Unfortunately, people often think that when you hire a teacher, you're paying for an education. You're not. You're paying for the availability of a service.

In a lot of ways, teachers are employed just like the cable company is "employed" by subscribers. The cable company promises that, should you turn your television on and tune in to certain channels at certain times, moving pictures will show up on the screen.

Whether or not you turn the television on, pay attention to what's there, or try out the cooking tips and recipes on the FOOD network is up to you.

But too often, people hire teachers thinking that's enough. Hire the tutor, get a better math score. Hire a piano teacher, be able to play the piano. But that's like saying "Pay for cable TV, learn History."

No, you have to tune into the history channel and pay attention. laugh
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1258244 - 08/28/09 09:35 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: AZNpiano]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
The student/parent is the employer. The teacher is the employee. An employee may be fired/dismissed for a variety of reasons. Many employers do not provide a lenghty explanation as to the why.

Remember teacher = employee.

In some cultures, teachers are gods. At a piano festival last year, I saw a father and his daughter saying good-bye to their piano teacher, and they gave her a respectful bow. I evaluate hundreds of piano students each year at their annual exam, and last year one girl bowed to me as she said good-bye. For some reason, these respectful girls play the piano masterfully. Perhaps they view the teacher-student relationship as more of a master-disciple relationship and less as a business transaction.

I love what you wrote, AZN, because I know it to be true from my teaching experiences, too. When I lived in California by studio had a majority of Oriental families with whom piano lessons are a very serious thing, the children practiced earnestly and their manners were impeccable when dealing with the teacher. The thank you was there after every lesson with a nod or a bow. For me the years were (1971 to 1975) and then again when we returned to California (1980).

Since 1981, in Washington State, I have not had the same ratio, but the Oriental students I have had remain a step above in ability, production, and respect for the teacher.

I think it must be a joy for you to receive such honor from the students you adjudicate and teach. It's nice to see that some families have big expectations for success and do all that they can in being supportive. They look to you and value your contribution and leadership and possibly, your every word.

Others may have different opinions, but, I'm just remembering that I had good experiences with people from these cultures too.

#1258289 - 08/28/09 11:01 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Kreisler]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I don't mind teachers being thought of as employees, but I think it's important to know exactly what you're paying for:

You are paying for the *availability* of *help* in *learning*

Unfortunately, people often think that when you hire a teacher, you're paying for an education. You're not. You're paying for the availability of a service.

In a lot of ways, teachers are employed just like the cable company is "employed" by subscribers. The cable company promises that, should you turn your television on and tune in to certain channels at certain times, moving pictures will show up on the screen.

Whether or not you turn the television on, pay attention to what's there, or try out the cooking tips and recipes on the FOOD network is up to you.

But too often, people hire teachers thinking that's enough. Hire the tutor, get a better math score. Hire a piano teacher, be able to play the piano. But that's like saying "Pay for cable TV, learn History."

No, you have to tune into the history channel and pay attention. laugh

Good points. There is another matter to. In an employer/employee situation, the employer calls all the shots. Or most of them, usually.

If a student/teacher is that way, with the student looking at the teacher as just a hired servant, so to speak, not much is going to be learned.

#1259163 - 08/30/09 06:18 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Gary D.]
plester102 Offline

Loc: Eugene Oregon
Some of the teacher replies regarding the teacher/student relationship is certainly interesting.
If any teacher (even a piano GOD) presented a year’s agreement with an extensive list of rules and regulations for my signature before I could begin lessons – I would be long gone.
I do not consider myself an employer but a consumer. And, as a consumer of a piano teacher’s service -- i.e. lessons, I will always have the power. Because I have the money to purchase that service.

I do not understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp.

Cheers,

A happy student

#1259191 - 08/30/09 06:46 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I do not consider myself an employer but a consumer. And, as a consumer of a piano teacher’s service -- i.e. lessons, I will always have the power. Because I have the money to purchase that service.
Well of course you're at liberty to think of it how you wish, and I'm glad you're a happy student smile . No teacher wants a student to have no power, I don't think. I certainly don't. But the downside of your summary of the relationship is that if you feel you are just paying for a lesson that may be all you get. I'm not sure you'd be a happy student if your teacher just taught your half-hour lesson and never gave you another thought, or did any extra preparation, or spent time improving his skills, or maintained his piano.

#1259265 - 08/30/09 08:36 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Some of the teacher replies regarding the teacher/student relationship is certainly interesting.
If any teacher (even a piano GOD) presented a year’s agreement with an extensive list of rules and regulations for my signature before I could begin lessons – I would be long gone.

Cheers,

A happy student

Your teacher also has the "power" to tell you to get lost.

Apparently you think that as a "consumer" that any teacher, even a very good one, can be replaced by another.

Good luck with that idea…

#1259339 - 08/30/09 10:54 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA

Perhaps it is because many people disagree with you! Don't expect the whole world to think the same way you do.

And what do you say to teachers who teach for free?

#1259356 - 08/30/09 11:28 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington

Cheers,

A happy student

I grasped your posting just fine. However, I think there is more to your being an employer than just being able to pay the bill. And, I don't subscribe to your equation at all as I've previously said.

I don't understand why you are so oppositional to my version of the transaction between student and teach are for piano teaching services.

We are, of course, oppositional, but I believe you can find someone who will teach your way.

Let me ask you: How many teachers have you employed in this employer relationship so far? What are your requirements of this teacher? If you can hire, you can fire. Have you done that? Have you actually held a role of employer having to account to the government for your business transactions? Do you keep records?

I don't think you are the employer in the way that I am thinking an employer acts toward an employee. You are simply wanting to pay your bill like you pay utilities, rent, buy food, put gas in the car, etc.

To turn on utilities in the first place and to rent property or own property, there are contracts with stipulations in them. The utility company and the mortagage companies also have you in their hot little hands.

You have more control over the food you buy and the gas you put in the car. You can choose where to shop and what to buy. But, the payment is due at purchase and you have no further control once you have spent the money.

Have you really found a teacher who knows your attitude and has accepted you anyway? Without a contract you have no recourse with the teacher. The only thing you will be able to do is "vote with your feet". When I sign a contract with my student, I am writing about the services I will provide over one year's time. My contract is a legal document between two responsible people. I think this contract between us represents "ownership". We both own the projected outcome and that plan is for the success of the student.

When you pay per lesson it suggests that neither of you wishes to commit to next week - neither of you is investing in the relationship of student and teacher.

I see myself as a professional and I see my students as my clients until the termination comes effective. One of us will terminate at some future time it's a given. I think the odds are that we will conduct a cordial end and have good things to say about the time we spend together.

You could get so much more for your money, I think.

#1259403 - 08/31/09 02:00 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Betty Patnude]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I have to mention that I'll take Plester seriously when he exceeds two posts and shows some genuine desire to communicate rather than just stir things up. laugh

#1259405 - 08/31/09 02:05 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: plester102]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA

Cheers,

A happy student

It's not difficult to grasp. I get it. It's a business relationship with a contract. And like any business relationship, it can be ended usually without notice by either party. Piano lessons is just another market transaction. That's the reality good people!

#1259407 - 08/31/09 02:09 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: eweiss]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: eweiss

It's not difficult to grasp. I get it. It's a business relationship with a contract. And like any business relationship, it can be ended usually without notice by either party. Piano lessons is just another market transaction. That's the reality good people!

Yes, but in this particular market transaction, it's not true that one party has all the "power". That's the logical flaw.

#1260188 - 09/01/09 09:41 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Monica K.]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
abcdefg ~ So sorry to hear you lost a student. Middle school years seem to be getting more difficult for piano students. I have lost 2 seventh-graders in the past week because of the "academic team" schedule -- they meet 3 nights a week and have once a month "competitions." The AT schedule was JUST published, after piano had already begun. Actually, lost 3 students, as one younger sibling will now not begin lessons. frown

It seems counterintuitive in a way that one would drop piano for academic team, but so it goes. (?) I will be filling these spots as quickly as I can, as I have already made many schedule changes and other accommodations for these particular families. It is heartbreaking and frustrating, and I guess it happens to all of us! Hang in there! smile

Still learning to communicate with my students' parents after 18 years of teaching....
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1260194 - 09/01/09 09:57 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: MsAdrienne]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Were these Winburn students, Adrienne? My daughter just made the academic team there, and I have to tell you the 3 days a week schedule was a surprise to us. We had originally been told it would be just two afternoons a week. Fortunately the days don't conflict with her flute lessons, but now she's going to have virtually no free time. frown

#1260222 - 09/01/09 10:45 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Monica K.]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Another thing about the concept that the student is the employer and the teacher is the employee that I find incongruous is that generally the employer him/herself or someone they've assigned as a direct supervisor over the employee knows exactly what the employee should be doing. They even train them to do their job sometimes. The employer will often have benefits they offer to employees, pay unemployment and social security/medicare taxes on their behalf, and provide a work environment. And as has been previously pointed out, many offer a severance package or at the very least 2 weeks' notice for layoffs or termination. None of my students give me any of these things. Certainly, the US government considers me to be self-employed, and so do I.

In a business, you have the provider of a product or service, and the client. Certainly, if the client is not happy, they can bring their business elsewhere. But the client comes to the provider for their expertise in something. Whenever I hire a contractor to work on our house, I assume they're better at it than I am, and they always provide me with a contract. Sometimes, that contract is not to their benefit when it comes to a warranty or sticking to a price quoted, but it protects me from costs escalating or shoddy workmanship. For services or products that are delivered on an ongoing basis, most of these companies have a cancellation requirement where you give notice in writing. Most of them also have you pay for the service in advance, not in the past, and so such cancellation also entails a 30-day notice.

These are standard business practices, and no one squawks at them unless they're trying to get something for nothing. If someone squawks at my policy, then it's best that I don't teach them for both of our sakes.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1260253 - 09/01/09 11:18 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Monica K.]
MsAdrienne Offline

Monica ~ Yes, one of them is. I believe that the students are capable of doing both piano and academic team, but possibly the parents feel overwhelmed with all the driving around from activity to activity... I don't know, just guessing.

Both have said they "want to stop piano FOR NOW." Well, I can't make the curriculum work for only part of the year, so I really have to fill the spots immediately. I've held too many spots already this summer, and it's too disruptive. May be time to take on more beginners. smile

The fact that the AT events take both afternoons AND the Saturday tournaments means that I can't accommodate the schedule no matter how flexible I am. I am losing two Saturday students after "giving in" and allowing Saturday lessons. I should have known better. confused

#1260268 - 09/01/09 11:31 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: MsAdrienne]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: MsAdrienne
I am losing two Saturday students after "giving in" and allowing Saturday lessons. I should have known better. confused

I found this out to be the case as well when I taught Saturdays. Those students were the most often to get rescheduled or to cancel. If they cannot find a time during the week where they can come for a half hour once a week, then perhaps they are too busy to take lessons at all. I doubt they'd find any time to practice either.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1260807 - 09/02/09 02:19 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Morodiene]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

For years Saturday has been my fullest day, and my best student has been coming on Saturday for years.

Strange…

More and more I'm struck by how different lifestyle is in the US from region to region. smile

The thing that shocks me, and depresses me, is that with the time demands on students, it might all make sense if they knew more because of all the extra time.

Teachers tell me that they are teaching less and less (information) but need more and more time to do it (and take care of paper-work).

Again, this may be especially bad in South Florida—NCLB country—where everyone appears to have been left behind and the thinking is that firing teachers should only be a minor problem in the educational system.

I also see more students quitting earlier, often in middle school, because they really have no time left.

It's quite depressing.

#1260902 - 09/02/09 09:24 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Morodiene]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I am losing two Saturday students after "giving in" and allowing Saturday lessons. I should have known better. confused

I found this out to be the case as well when I taught Saturdays. Those students were the most often to get rescheduled or to cancel. If they cannot find a time during the week where they can come for a half hour once a week, then perhaps they are too busy to take lessons at all. I doubt they'd find any time to practice either.

Well, we have our lessons on Sat morning to _prevent_ conflicts and to ensure that the piano lesson does not interfere with homework (the only activity that trumps piano). Then again that's for two lessons (two kids) so it's not a matter of finding 1/2 hour a week, rather more like 2 1/2 hours (two lessons plus travel and prep). Of course I can't deny or negate your experience, but I just wanted to provide a different data point.

#1261095 - 09/02/09 01:58 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: bitWrangler]
MsAdrienne Offline

Originally Posted By: bitWrangler
Well, we have our lessons on Sat morning to _prevent_ conflicts and to ensure that the piano lesson does not interfere with homework (the only activity that trumps piano). Then again that's for two lessons (two kids) so it's not a matter of finding 1/2 hour a week, rather more like 2 1/2 hours (two lessons plus travel and prep). Of course I can't deny or negate your experience, but I just wanted to provide a different data point.

It's kind of funny; for the longest time, I couldn't get anyone to take Saturday mornings, and even then, there were other activities that conflicted (soccer games, ballet, music performances/festivals, even my professional music organizations, etc.). I keep my Mondays open (no lessons at all) so I can have Saturday lessons, but I really haven't been able to get many to come on the weekend.

#1261145 - 09/02/09 03:25 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: MsAdrienne]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Adrienne,I'm sorry you've lost students recently. Sunday lessons work for me. I had two families request weekend lessons, so I offered them Sunday afternoon times. I take off Friday and Saturday, teach Sunday through Thursday. So far I have 3 students on Sunday afternoon. It works for me. I like to be able to leave town on a Friday and not have to be back until Sunday. (But I'm noticing the LFMC recitals are on Sunday afternoons!)

#1261387 - 09/02/09 10:30 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
abcdefg Offline

Loc: midwest
I always took my piano lesson on a Saturday morning. For me that meant no sleepovers and I missed out on Saturday morning cartoons. Somehow I survived. I tried giving lessons one year on Saturdays. The students were either half asleep because they had been up with friends all night or looking at their watch the whole time because they had somewhere to go.

#1261657 - 09/03/09 09:47 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: abcdefg]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can imagine that Sunday afternoons work much better than Saturday mornings! But I'm tempted to do a group make-up once or twice a semester on a Saturday Morning at 8:00. *insert evil grin here*

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1261712 - 09/03/09 11:07 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Stanny]
Mrs.A Offline

Originally Posted By: Stanny
I can imagine that Sunday afternoons work much better than Saturday mornings! But I'm tempted to do a group make-up once or twice a semester on a Saturday Morning at 8:00. *insert evil grin here*

This is exactly what I do. Make-ups are the first Saturday of the month. It is a group lesson and only allowed if student schedule ahead of time. I have not had anyone take advantage of the make-up time in over a year. I also have no one complaining that I don’t reschedule missed lessons. It works very well for me....and there is only a slight evil intent in my motive.
Mom to four boys.

#1261747 - 09/03/09 11:47 AM Re: Lost a student today [Re: MsAdrienne]
Mrs.A Offline

Both have said they "want to stop piano FOR NOW." Well, I can't make the curriculum work for only part of the year, so I really have to fill the spots immediately. I've held too many spots already this summer, and it's too disruptive. May be time to take on more beginners. smile

Been there.

I have one student who took the summer off. She spent the summer with her father so I understand and am glad to have her back . .. She was in piano for less then a year before she took the summer off. Her first return lesson was yesterday. She forgot everything. Couldn’t name a note or find a the key on the piano. I took her back nearly to the beginning. I am hoping she will catch up quickly.

If a student says they are stopping FOR NOW because the schedule is too busy, they usually don’t come back. Their schedules are not going to get any lighter.

When my boys come back to baseball every spring, they haven’t lost much. Same with other activities. Parents often perceive piano the same way they approach the other activities BUT piano needs consistency and commitment or they will regress. Time and money invested is lost after an absence from piano. Communicating this to parents is difficult.
Mom to four boys.

#1261892 - 09/03/09 03:34 PM Re: Lost a student today [Re: Stanny]
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
Originally Posted By: Stanny

Yeah, just try convincing two kids that it's perfectly reasonable for them to get up early on a Sat to have their piano lesson. I can see how this would not fly in many households (and once the kiddos hit their teens, might not fly anymore in mine smile )

However, we made a conscious decision to do this because we vowed to have one day a week devoted to "family time" with no regularly scheduled activity (practice/homework not withstanding). As others have mentioned, Sat is the day for sports and other activities so we figured we'd just sacrifice that day and keep our Sunday's free.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, 39 invisible), 1267 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157099 Topics
2307186 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
33 minutes 42 seconds ago
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission