2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1256343 08/26/09 08:46 AM
OP Offline
I'm starting back teaching next week after summer break. I'm very concious of health and well-being (probably after working part-time in a pharmaceutical factory for a few years). I've always had hand sanitizer available in my piano studio for students to use, but this year I've sourced an alcohol-free, child-friendly sanitizer that I'm making compulsory for students to use before and after playing the piano at their lesson. I've notified the parents and so far nobody has complained.

Do you all think I'm mad? Or are other teachers taking precautions to help prevent the spread of flu/colds etc

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're not crazy. The CDC has suggested extreme caution this flu season, and I'll be wiping down the keyboard this year too.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
I bought some small anti-bacterial hand sanitizers from Bath & Body. I keep one on each piano, and they have nice scents. Most students will put them on without me recommending it. I think they're used to being asked to do this in school. I also wipe down the keys, although I'm going to do it more frequently this year, maybe after each day instead of once in a week or so.

Since I play these instruments, I don't want to catch any colds or viruses! However, I really don't know how effective this stuff really is. I heard somewhere that since we are using so much of this stuff now that the colds are becoming resistant to it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
How much care do you exercise to ensure that the product doesn't introduce strange oils or solvents onto piano keys and piano finishes? The fact that they are scented would raise some flags with me, and many of the commercial products also like to double as hand moisturizers.

M
M
I have given no thought to it, actually. My keys are plastic, not ivory, and so I clean them with clorox wipes. I've been doing this along with the hand sanitizers for the past couple of years without any discoloration or wear on the finish. These do not have aloe in them or anything to moisturize the hands either.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I'm still investigating this myself. And yes, I will be sending a letter out to the parents letting them know that I will be washing the piano down after each student! And that this is going to take 5 minutes out of their lesson.

Am still trying to find what will be guaranteed to kill this virus if it does end up on my pianos!

Not easy to find out information, I have discovered, but I'm going to do everything I can so the parents know I'm going to make it as safe as possible for their kids!

Also, have heard that clorox is the only thing that will kill it 100%, but the alcohol in some hand sanitizers kills it too! The reason for my worry, is that a lot of summer camps were shut down here because of this thing!

My concern is that I just don't want to discolor, or bleach the keys on my piano! Especially the black ones!

Doing everything I can! Til I know more!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
Yes, i've had a bottle of hand sanitizer on my piano, but rarely enforce its use - will be making sure all students wash hands before lesson or use sanitizer - plus cleaning the keys more frequently. Thank you HINI for encouraging me to finally clean. haha.

Teaching since 2004
Private studio owner since 2008
www.ecsorota.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it would be reasonable to ask that every student simply give their hands a good washing before their lesson. With all the worry about what this flu season may be like I would think most parents and students would understand. The hand sanitizer is great, but good old washing doesn't need to kill the germs because it sends them on their merry way down the drain! Sanitizer would still be a good idea to use during a lesson after sneezes and coughs. Some of the teachers in my school district make it a class rule. If you sneezed or coughed and your hands were involved in any way use the sanitizer.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
One can't be too careful when mega-staph and mega flu come to call. My policy is very stiff about illness - if you are ill in anyway, or your family is sharing a bug, do NOT come for lesson, I will NOT teach it. This is for my own auto-immune protection because I spent many years catching everything. Students do not do well at lessons when they are ill anyway. I think they should be spared the negative experience of the stress of it.

Don't forget to keep the knob on the front door wiped off and any other place that visitors (not just piano students) have visited. The bathroom is just as important because I ask my students to wash their hands first, then use the sanitizers too.

I'm not so sure about the use of clorox wipes as that is quite a bit of moisture to put on the keyboard, keys are wood with plastic tops these days. I would want to make sure the bleach was not left on the keys because of the students whose hands sweat too much. Wouldn't the chemicals transfer to the skin? And, clorox has never been advised to touch skin it's pretty caustic, I think.

Perhaps a piano tuner would contribute to this discussion about cleaning the piano, bench and keys, for bacteria and staph and prevention of communicable diseases.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
Perhaps a piano tuner would contribute to this discussion about cleaning the piano, bench and keys, for bacteria and staph and prevention of communicable diseases.

Yes, I put a note over there (Piano Tuners Forum) and got some interesting responses!

It's under the The topic "h1n1 virus" (different name but same thing as Swine flu)!

Have a look! Not sure some are serious or not! smile

Diane
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Should add that the Swine Flu DOES NOT come from pigs! The pig farmers are getting a bad wrap because of that! smile So they changed the name to H1N1 Flu!

There was a flu way back that took out a lot of people called the "Spanish Flu"? And it wasn't spanish at all, it came from CHINA! smile

Go figure! People should think before they give it a name! smile

Diane
[Linked Image]
M
M
My ideal piano studio would have a sink for handwashing.

last year I insisted students use sanitizer before and after lessons. I felt that it did cut down on the colds and flu.

Piano Teacher.
Church Music Director.
Kindermusik Instructor.
Mom to four boys.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Diane...
Should add that the Swine Flu DOES NOT come from pigs! The pig farmers are getting a bad wrap because of that! smile
Here in Australia we've had a few cases of humans giving it to pigs!

As for the anti-bacterial stuff - H1N1 is a virus, is it not? They've been telling us here that soap and water is the thing.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a sink for handwashing right near the front door (powder room) and this year I have invested in individual fingertip towels so they are single use. I also have hand sanitizer on my desk by the piano. I was careful last year to wash my OWN hands between students and I had a very healthy season!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Science teacher's trick to staying healthy: Wash your hands frequently and KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR FACE! The primary way a virus gets into your body is through your mucus membranes, i.e., eyes, nose or mouth. If you forget and rub an itchy eye, put a pencil in your mouth or touch your nose, you are opening yourself to sickness. I see 140 kids a day and I rarely get sick.

Best regards,

Deborah
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
So far this virus doesn't seem any worse that the yearly flu we see every year. This one is just getting more media attention. Hand washing with soap and hot water is the best. 15 seconds minimum. Many sanitizers/disinfectants cause bugs to morph into stronger bugs.

Send sick kids home and like someone said don't touch your face. Get the flu shot. Eat well get rest and don't stress out on this flu...

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Diane...
Should add that the Swine Flu DOES NOT come from pigs! The pig farmers are getting a bad wrap because of that! smile
Here in Australia we've had a few cases of humans giving it to pigs!

As for the anti-bacterial stuff - H1N1 is a virus, is it not? They've been telling us here that soap and water is the thing.

Makes sense, soap and water is the way to go. I have several students out sick right now, and one is a confirmed case of H1N1. We have several confirmed cases of it at our local high school.
I will send each kid to the bathroom to wash hands before every lesson. Stanny's idea of having the disposable towels is good.
I should have been doing this all along...

Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hygiene would seem prudent, whether there is a potent virus or not. From what I've read, teachers over 60 already have an immunity to this particular virus, thanks to the crud we suffered with as children.

That aside, I find it rather interesting that while in college and doing my military service, where immunizations were mandatory, I got the flu with clock-like regularity. I mean, the real McCoy.

Since then, I've managed to avoid the flu shot line, and have not had a case of flu since. Whether this is serendipity or the threat is overblown, I do not know. I do know that our current political situation capitalizes on and and all possible scares.

So my humble advice is to be prudent, don't touch membranes without first washing your hands - which any physician will tell you anyway - and clean your keyboard daily.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My daughter's college sent this:

Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Alcohol-based hand cleaners also are effective. Hand sanitizer stations have been distributed at the entrances to residence and dining halls.
Practice respiratory etiquette by covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder, not into your hands. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth; germs are spread this way.
Know the signs and symptoms of the flu. A fever is a temperature of at least 100 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius. Look for possible signs of fever: if the person feels very warm, has a flushed appearance, or is sweating or shivering. Symptoms of flu include fever or chills and cough or sore throat. In addition, symptoms of flu can include runny nose, body aches, headache, tiredness, diarrhea, or vomiting.
Stay home if you have flu or flu-like illness for at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius) or signs of a fever (have chills, feel very warm, have a flushed appearance, or are sweating). This should be determined without the use of fever-reducing medications (any medicine that contains ibuprofen or acetaminophen). The flu may last up to 7 days. Don’t go to class or work if you’re ill. Ask a friend to bring meals to your room.
Talk with your health care providers about whether you should be vaccinated for seasonal flu. Also if you are at higher risk for flu complications from 2009 H1N1 flu, you should consider getting the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available. People at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 flu complications include pregnant women and people with chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, heart disease, or diabetes). For more information about priority groups for vaccination, visit www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/acip.htm <http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/acip.htm> .

And by the way, concerning pigs:

flu.gov says this:

Q: How do you catch H1N1 (swine) flu?

Spread of H1N1 (swine) flu can occur in two ways:

•Through contact with infected pigs or environments contaminated with swine flu viruses.
•Through contact with a person with H1N1 (swine) flu. Human-to-human spread of H1N1 (swine) flu has been documented also and is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.

Q: Do pigs carry this virus and can I catch this virus from a pig?

At this time, there is no evidence that swine in the United States are infected with this new virus. However, there are flu viruses that commonly cause outbreaks of illness in pigs. Most of the time, these viruses do not infect people, but influenza viruses can spread back and forth between pigs and people.

piano teacher
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

That aside, I find it rather interesting that while in college and doing my military service, where immunizations were mandatory, I got the flu with clock-like regularity. I mean, the real McCoy.

Since then, I've managed to avoid the flu shot line, and have not had a case of flu since. Whether this is serendipity or ...

John, what you are saying makes absolutely no scientific sense, but it seems to be true for me too. I've only had the flu once - during the year I had my one and only flu shot. Go figure. I can't explain it either.

By the way folks. It's just a plain old flu. Not a dramatic civilization ending epidemic that the media is trying to make you believe it is. The risks are like any other flu - meaning highest for the elderly, very young and immunocompromised. If you get sick, you'll feel crummy for a few days and then you will get better!

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission