Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1256897 - 08/26/09 11:35 PM Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16)
Paul in FWB Offline

Loc: Fort Walton Beach, FL
My new Kawai SI-16 was delivered today and I'm very happy with it.

Those who've been following my story will remember that, for economic reasons, I had to sell the 1900 Steinway A-2 that had been in our family for 70 years. It needed a little work but it still had a beautiful sound and presence.

With some proceeds from the sale, I determined to get myself a nice upright - not too tall because (as you'll see in the pictures below) we had limited vertical space for where the piano would go. Touch and tone were important to me and I played a lot of pianos. After doing some research, I went into a Kawai dealership thinking I'd likely be purchasing a K-2 or K-3 but was surprised to discover that I liked the resonance and power of the UST-9 better than either of them. But it looked a little too plain for me (being an institutional piano after all), especially as a replacement to my Steinway. I also wanted some of the nicer features of the higher-end K-series: Neotex keys and tone escape ports.

I had liked the look of the SI-16 (Rosina) on the Kawai website but could never find a dealer with one in stock for me to try. However, I discovered that Don Mannino said on this forum that the SI-16 and SI-17 have the same internal design as the UST-9. So, I took a leap of faith and ordered the SI-16. I negotiated good terms and am very happy with this beautiful new instrument.

I'll have to admit that it's an adjustment from the Steinway. The treble doesn't sing the way my A-2 did and I can see I'll have to work a little harder to make the melody stand out. I'm sure I'll get used to it - and that it will begin to shine with use as I break the hammers in, etc.

That said, I can play delicate pianissimo passages much better and more clearly on the Kawai than I ever could on the Steinway. I credit the M3 action for that.

Here are pictures of my new Kawai Rosina:

Paul

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1256920 - 08/27/09 12:16 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hi Paul,
Congratulations on your beautiful new piano! The finish is lovely and as a new piano its sound will improve with playing over the next year or two.

Kind regards,

Robert.

#1256923 - 08/27/09 12:21 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Robert 45]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Those are very nice pianos. Congratulations.

#1257014 - 08/27/09 05:53 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Plowboy]
Terry5758 Offline

Loc: Vero Beach,Florida
I like the finish. Congrats!

#1257048 - 08/27/09 07:52 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Terry5758]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
What a lovely piano! Congratulations!!!!

I really like that traditional American cabinet style in an upright verses the standard European style with the little fold-down desktop.

I hope you have many, many years of enjoyment out of it!

Rick

#1257068 - 08/27/09 09:00 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Rickster]
ChasT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
It's beautiful, Paul. I like my UST-9, but it is kind of industrial. Your bench looks more comfortable, too. I'm now officially jealous. Congratulations!

Charles

Edited by ChasT (08/27/09 09:00 AM)

#1257089 - 08/27/09 09:43 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: ChasT]
SophieM Offline

Loc: New York City
Congratulations! Your new piano looks right at home in its spot! smile

#1257112 - 08/27/09 10:12 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: SophieM]
LVP Offline

Loc: Vermont
Very nice! I never saw these while shopping Kawai, and I agree it looks nicer for sure. I now have bench envy too, the color is gorgeous, right down to the bench!!

I got my piano yesterday too, actually, so I really can feel your excitement!

Enjoy and congrats!

#1257141 - 08/27/09 10:38 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: LVP]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Congratulations, Paul, on your beautiful new piano. smile And that bench looks downright comfy. thumb

#1257187 - 08/27/09 11:51 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Monica K.]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
That is one lovely piano. Congratulations!

I love the cabinetry... beautiful, simple craftsman-like lines with gorgeous finish and color. Kawai is really putting out some fine products.

Enjoy!

#1257219 - 08/27/09 01:07 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Zenobe]
MusicBud Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Congratulations, this SI-16 is beautiful and fits your room nicely. I like the music desk and the grand like fallboard, much like a smaller size K-8 !

#1266782 - 09/11/09 11:49 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: MusicBud]
CozyWriter Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Is that a "volume vent" behind the music desk (near the base of the desk) that can be opened-closed ?

How do you like it after a few weeks' burn-in?

#1267103 - 09/12/09 02:40 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: CozyWriter]
Paul in FWB Offline

Hi Cozy --

Those are the so-called "full spectrum tone release ports" also featured on the K-8. Here's a picture with the music desk removed:

You can't actually close them except by fully lowering the base of the music desk until it clicks into the front of the piano. At that point, the desk is too vertical to reliably hold most music.

I'm still playing the piano daily, still loving it, but also still making adjustments. I had it too close to the wall initially and it sounded a little muffled. Now 4.5" from the wall it sounds clearer and more powerful.

I also still have the sound of my old 6'2" Steinway in my head and I admit that there are times when the Kawai disappoints me because it can't reproduce the Steinway's heft and presence. Yet, I am able to produce rich, sweet, full sounds on my Kawai upright. Perhaps the Kawai is less forgiving than the Steinway was. I'm discovering that small adjustments to the way I actually hit the keys pay off in making the melody stand out with clarity and power and the supporting chords or arpeggios come alive with character and texture.

I also have to say that I love having a practice pedal in the place of a sostenuto or bass-damper pedal I never used. Now I can practice my Hanon and my scales without driving my wife batty!

(BTW, I see you live in Chapel Hill. I went to grad school there and loved the people and the area.)

Paul

Edited by Paul in FWB (09/12/09 02:58 PM)

#1267111 - 09/12/09 03:02 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Beautiful wood finish! Does "Rosina" mean it's rosewood?

Edited by pianoloverus (09/12/09 03:02 PM)

#1267118 - 09/12/09 03:24 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: pianoloverus]
Paul in FWB Offline

It's cherry veneer. Yes, I think it's pretty, too!

I'm not sure why they call it Rosina, perhaps in honor of pianist and Juilliard instructor Rosina Lhévinne (1880-1976)?

Her more famous students included Van Cliburn, James Levine, John Williams and Mischa Dichter. At age 82, she performed Chopin's First Piano Concerto with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic.

I haven't been able to find anyone named Rosina more notable than Mme. Lhévinne ...

Paul

#1268746 - 09/15/09 02:13 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Zenobe]
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Paul, *if* you can easily move the piano, you might want to position it c.4" away from the wall. Verticals usually sound better there.

#1268803 - 09/15/09 03:40 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: FogVilleLad]
HappyApple Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
It is so beautiful. Love it!

1970 Baldwin Hamilton

#1268902 - 09/15/09 05:50 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: HappyApple]
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
The finish on your Rosina is beautiful! I love the music desk, and the cushy bench. Congratulations!

#1269229 - 09/16/09 10:54 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: FogVilleLad]
Paul in FWB Offline

Originally Posted By: FogVilleLad
Paul, *if* you can easily move the piano, you might want to position it c.4" away from the wall. Verticals usually sound better there

I'm at 4-and-a-half inches now and I'm pretty pleased with it. You can tell from the first pictures that there's a "window" into an adjacent room just above the top of the piano, so that diminishes the available reflective surface and I think a fair amount of sound rolls out of the room by that route. However, I really have no other place to put the piano. I may eventually try angling it out from the wall just a bit - like this: /| - to see how that works.

Thanks to all for your very nice comments!

Paul

#1286052 - 10/13/09 11:05 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
Paul in FWB Offline

From another thread ...

Originally Posted By: jrcallan
Paul:

Are you continuing to love your Rosina? I'm enticed by them, and would appreciate a follow-up to your earlier and your observations with a free months under your belt. Thanks.

Six weeks now since my piano was delivered. Yes, I'm still very pleased with the Rosina!

Still playing my Hanon and major scales and I'm polishing four pieces. The control of the pianissimo continues to astound me. When I get a good mic, I'll post audio of Debussy's Arabesque No. 1. I'm able to play the polyrhythms (triplets against eighth notes) very delicately while a loud arpeggio in the bass half way through "growls" as pleasurably as it used to on my Steinway.

I have not yet requested my in-house tuning although I'm noticing a little slippage in pitch as the new strings mature. I've ordered a hygrometer to measure humidity levels and am waiting to see the results of those over a two-week period or so. The Kawai dealer said she would not charge me for installation of a humidity control system if I had the tech put it in during my free tuning - but I would have to pay for the system, of course. I believe that, living in Florida, low humidity will not be a problem for me at any point in the year, and I think my AC/heat will control high humidity, but I just want to make sure.

Paul

#1286586 - 10/14/09 05:37 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for the update. All the best with your bew piano.

#1286638 - 10/14/09 08:06 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
rodmichael Offline

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: Paul in FWB
...I believe that, living in Florida, low humidity will not be a problem for me at any point in the year, and I think my AC/heat will control high humidity, but I just want to make sure.

Paul

Your piano and bench look just great and the finish is especially nice. Congratulations.

You are correct that your AC will reduce room humidity. However your heating system will not. So, especially in winter, your piano is likely to be subject to substantial swings in humidity. Basically, anytime your AC is not in use.

Best regards,
Zoom Q3

#1286640 - 10/14/09 08:07 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: rodmichael]
vandyboy Offline

Beautiful finish on that Rosina! Enjoy!

#1286694 - 10/14/09 09:39 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: vandyboy]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
that is quite gorgeous. I really like the idea of the 'full spectrum ports'.. quite clever. It's so pretty. Do you know how they came up with the 'Rosina' name?

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1286701 - 10/14/09 09:45 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: vandyboy]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
It is interesting to note that here we have an example of an instance where it is quite reasonable to purchase a piano without playing it.

With those brands that have very high consistancy of manufacturing, Kawai and Yamaha in particular, the variations in performance among like scales are oftem relatively insignificant. In this case, moving the piano a few inches from the wall likely changed the tonality more than the varience in the tonality of another Rosina.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1287103 - 10/14/09 07:15 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Steve Cohen]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
oh, i see.

it's a table cloth.

thought it was one of those walker bouncers

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1453963 - 06/10/10 12:17 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: apple*]
Paul in FWB Offline

Just a little update to say I paid off my Kawai Rosina last week!

Broussard's (Mobile, AL) gave me a great price and great terms - nine months with no interest!

I love this piano! Play it at least two hours a day and wish I could do more. I've been playing piano for 44 years now and I'm having more fun now than I ever have!

Paul

#1453964 - 06/10/10 12:23 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Congratulations, Paul! Glad to hear you're still enjoying your piano so much!

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1453968 - 06/10/10 12:29 PM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: Paul in FWB]
SophieM Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul in FWB
I've been playing piano for 44 years now and I'm having more fun now than I ever have!

That's how it should be! Congratulations on paying it off so it's all yours now! Enjoy! smile

#1454469 - 06/11/10 06:03 AM Re: Proud owner of a new Kawai Rosina (SI-16) [Re: SophieM]
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Have you worked out all the little "new piano bugs"?

Is the millenium III action everything you hoped for?

I remain very interested in that piano. I have UST-7 now from 1989, and love it, but yours looks delicious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (*windowlicker*, AEMontoya, A Guy, accordeur, 34 invisible), 1297 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157149 Topics
2307966 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland RD 800 Dust Cover
by BarryDMD
08/29/14 06:14 PM
OT - Technical help for recording Silent feature to laptop
by casinitaly
08/29/14 05:13 PM
College Audition Repertoire for Historical Performance
by Priima
08/29/14 04:53 PM
theme and variations trivia question
by beet31425
08/29/14 04:35 PM
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
08/29/14 02:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission