2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I am studying my first piano concerto (Mozart #20). My teacher told me about a midi file that could serve as the accompaniment and was good because I could really slow down the speed. (Music Minus One only has one slow speed and it's not slow enough for me.) I know nothing about MIDI files and I don't think I have a MIDI player on my computer. At home where my piano is I also have dial up due to where I live, at work high speed.

Ideally I would like to download this MIDI file (or something similar I can use as the 2nd part but will give me more options in slowing down the speed) and play it on my IPhone or home computer. Is there a way to do this?

Other ideas?

I am clueless about MIDIs.

Karin Wandrei
Willits, CA
S
S
Karin,

You need either a hardware or software sequencer to play a MIDI file. Here's a link to a free software midi player.

http://www.vanbasco.com/

It's called a Karaoke player but it should do the job for you. PM me if you have questions.

I believe there are midi player apps for the iPhone as well but I don't have an iPhone so haven't researched them.

Susan

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.
J
J
Hey Karin,

Midi Files are using Note- and Instrument-informations stored in one Midi File. It's like you save the Notes, that should be played with the Names of the Instruments, that should play what part of the Notes.

I created some Midi Files in the Past, because i use an Yamaha CS1x Keyboard / Synth, who is able to play Midi Events (Notes and Instruments) in a better way than the Standard Midi File Output of e. g. Windows XP. So, you can listen to them with the Windows Media Player ( in case you have Windows XP or higher?! ) or the mentioned van-Basco's Midi Player smile .

If you want to create Midi Files on your own, then you can try a free Midi Sequencer (Midi Creation Software) . I sadly forgot the Name of one of the free One's, because i'm now using Rosegarden under Linux to create Midi Files. If you have an older Computer with Windows 98 or 95, you can use Cakewalk 5 Pro Audio, which was on a Magazine CD in the past (at least in Germany) - i do not know, if it is freeware now, but if it is, i can send you a copy - will do a little research on that topic.

Midi normally does not sound that good, unless you buy a good GM Sound Modul or Keyboard. But there are better Standards as GM (General Midi) , e. g. XG ( eXtended General Midi? ) from Yamaha.

Greetings,
Ingo

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission