2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Well after 43 replies to my last post - Hailun 178 vs. Brodmann 187 vs Kawai GE-30, I am now faced with another dilemma. Although I have an idea of what model to focus on from the above comparisons, I heard two other pianos I am not familiar with. I was in a store today and I listened to a Perzina and a Nordiska. These pianos sounded rich and were relatively inexpensive. It appears now that you are able to easily obtain a good quality piano under 10k. Granted a couple of these are used however they look brand new and looked like they weren't even used! The first piano is a Nordiska G Style A which is a 5'5" ribbon mahogany piano with a player and $600 worth of discs for a little over $8,000. The other is a comparable Perzina. Unfortunately, I looked at so many that I forgot the size but the price was closer to 10k maybe a bit more. Bottom line - Does anyone have experience with these models? I know you will say go with the top models (Brodmann, Kawai or Hailun) but I wanted to get these two their fair review. Any ideas??

Thanks so much!

Mike

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I have a lot of familiarity and playing time on the Nordiska G. It was made at the DongBei factory in China and distributed in the US by Geneva Intl. IMO the Nordiska grand pianos were better than average at their price point. The G has a very even and consistent action. It is easy to play. Tone production is not its strength, but the tone while certainly not exquisite, is not harsh or overly bright. The G sounds more like a grand than many other grands of similar size. The price you have been offered is about what the price on the G with the player would have been three years ago. By way of comparison, Hailun is the Chinese piano du jour of 2008-9. Nordiska was the piano du jour of 2005-6.

Unfortunately, through no fault of the pianos, the Nordiska brand is gone. Baldwin bought the DongBei factory and is producing the same designs under their name. Geneva International is out of the piano biz. The only warranty on the piano is what the dealer would offer. I think the price is too high. At this time in this economic climate with the brand defunct I would say 6k or less on an absolutely new one. The player adds minimal value. If you like the Nordiska and the dealer happens to have a K model, that would be worth looking at. The G is good, but the K is very very good.

Your description of the Perzina isn't specific. I have played some of the old series and was not overly impressed. However, the company has introduced a new series of grands which some members here have liked a lot. The new grands have also received a good review on the Pianobuyer.com guide. You can check that out at no cost by clicking on the pianobuyer link in the right column, clicking on the 'read online edition' circle, then on 'table of contents' at the bottom right, and finally on 'Guest Review' at the bottom of the left page. Sounds complicated, but it's not. The article would be interesting for you in that its focus is all the Chinese brands you are considering.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks so much for your insight turandot. The Nordiska was a brand new piano and the player did sound good. The discs were included. You did bring up a good point regarding the warranty. Since I was just browsing and not in the serious buying mode, I didn't even get that far regarding the warranty. I have been leaning towards the Hailun 178 for some time now and it appears I may end up getting one. I agree with you regarding the tone production was not overly bright however it was even and to some degree sounded like a higher end Kawai. Again, to make sure you do make a wise decision you need to check out all models. Since there are so many out there, it is outlets such as this where I can get great advice.

Thanks again...Keep writing all!

Mike

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you looking at grands here or uprights. The Perzina uprights, as currently manufactured, are outstanding (I have a 122). Not so sure about the grands - my impression is that they're still a little dodgy.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
P
OP Offline
P
Hi jnod - I was looking at grands - yes you are correct in saying the Perzina uprights are outstanding. The store rep demonstrated the upright and I was blown away!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Nordiska was a brand new piano and the player did sound good. The discs were included. You did bring up a good point regarding the warranty. Since I was just browsing and not in the serious buying mode, I didn't even get that far regarding the warranty. I have been leaning towards the Hailun 178 for some time now and it appears I may end up getting one. I agree with you regarding the tone production was not overly bright however it was even and to some degree sounded like a higher end Kawai. Again, to make sure you do make a wise decision you need to check out all models.

Definitely good to check on everything out there.

On my comment that the player added little value, I meant from the point of view of selling price on an old stock clearance type piano or in terms of resale value. It sounds like it might have some value to you. That's different.

If you were just browsing and not in a serious buying mode, you probably didn't get an actual selling price on the G. I think most dealers like to wait on the bottom line until you are considering one specific piano for purchase.

I really like Hailun grands and don't think you would go wrong there, but I have to admit a soft spot for the Nordiskas. It's so easy for a brand to fall off the radar for reasons that have nothing to do with product quality. I'm not an expert in any sense of the word, but I don't think the Nordiska grands reveal any scrimping on materials or workmanship either in comparison to the latest pianos from China. There's no one left to pump up the brand though (even on PW where at one time it was a dealer favorite). smile

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
I have played different Perzina's the uprights are outstanding, the old grands were not as impressive as the uprights however the new grands are matching them fabulously! I have had a student fairly recently purchase one and it was one of the best moves. It sounds wonderful and her playing has grown by leaps and bounds having a great piano with beautiful touch and tone quality to play. I would highly recommend the Perzina if it is in the running with what you are looking at.

Piano Afficionado
The 6' 1" Gebr. Perzina is a must-try. I don't know which model you actually auditioned. They are noteworthy for their substantial bass response, but upper treble bell tones as well.

Ask about the exotic finishes also. They don't influence the tonality of course, but they are striking aesthetically. I wish you the best.
Regards
Mike

Owner, Kitt Fine Pianos
Albuquerque,
Hallet Davis & Co., old M&H's of course

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission