Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1257806 - 08/28/09 10:51 AM Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - -
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1257815 - 08/28/09 10:56 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - - [Re: -Frycek]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: piano bench, usually
Sorry, Frycek. I wasn't slighting the ABF. I've been running back and forth between the computer and the kids this morning and I just happened to post it on Pianists' Corner first. Thanks for posting the link for me. Of course everyone is welcome.

#1257832 - 08/28/09 11:11 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - - [Re: heidiv]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

It's just that AFB "invented" the Ecital and it's most enthusiastic participants are here. I think this is a totally wonderful idea.

#1257874 - 08/28/09 12:17 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: -Frycek]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for filling me in. I'm new here. I was planning to post on both forums, but just as I was finishing my original post on PC, there was an incident at my house involving 2 little girls, a bottle of hot pink nail polish and a puppy...

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the idea. I think it will be enlightening for all of us.

#1257926 - 08/28/09 01:37 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm afraid to ask about the puppy - - - -

#1258005 - 08/28/09 03:23 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: -Frycek]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Physically fine (red fur hides a multitude), psychologically it's too early to tell.

School starts Wednesday. grin grin grin

May I suggest to anyone who may be interested -- please don't be intimidated, even if you are a true beginner. There are many beautiful pieces out there accessible to all of us. This isn't a contest. The whole point is to be exposed to new music.

If you would like to participate but are unsure of which composer to choose, don't worry. With everyone's input, I plan on compiling a list of suggestions for everyone to explore.

#1258197 - 08/28/09 08:17 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: heidiv
Thanks for filling me in. I'm new here. I was planning to post on both forums, but just as I was finishing my original post on PC, there was an incident at my house involving 2 little girls, a bottle of hot pink nail polish and a puppy...

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the idea. I think it will be enlightening for all of us.

Oh no... Hope it was nothing too serious.

Don't click here!

#1258992 - 08/30/09 01:06 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: gerg]
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
Hmmm

2 little girls + hot pink (of course) nail polish + puppy =

the two girls decided Fido would look 'cuter' with nail polish, they raided Mom's make up area, applied the polish to the dog's nails, the dog was not cooperative, knocked the nail polish onto the rug - spilling contents, girls are now having a 'quiet time' event in their rooms - dog is being cleaned

I'm sure I can come up with something wilder given a little more time

In the meantime - I am looking into unsung bohemians - Dvorak, Smetana, and Martinu all wrote a lot of piano music, most of it pretty much unknown - to me, anyway -

Either them or Paradisi - who was overshadowed by Scarlatti and then the Bach boys and Mozart - but his sonatas are completely enjoyable and worthwhile - the great film director Bunuel used one of them at a crucial moment in The Exterminating Angel - a fantastic mix of surrealism, acid portraits of the haute bourgeousie, and, most unexpectedly, Nietzsche's Eternal Return of the Same. All that was enough to permanently burn Paradisi into my subconscious mind, where it lurks - perhaps waiting for this e-cital to emerge.

Edited by Schubertian (08/30/09 01:08 PM)

#1259060 - 08/30/09 03:48 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: Schubertian]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

I didn't even mention the water puddles on the floor from the "pedicures." Fortunately, it was kiddie nail polish, easy to clean up. And fortunately it was a toy poodle and not a doberman laugh

You have many great ideas, Schubertian. Any of those choices would be great. The hard part might be narrowing it down to the one you'd like to do. I've never heard of Paradisi - I'll check him out.

#1262091 - 09/03/09 09:53 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi everyone. Here's the updated list:

Participants

-Frycek: Adieu by Carl Filtsch

Euan Morrison: Prelude #tbd by Cesar Cui

beet 31425: Prelude and Fugue #tbd by Trygve Madsen

akonow: Scharwenka tbd

gerg: tbd

heidiv: The Angel by Bortkiewicz

Schubertian: Sonata by Hyacinth Jadin

epf: Under the Palms Waltz by Irene Audain

currawong: tbd

RachFan: tbd

SlatterFan: Fantasy Op. 12 by Vorisek

pianojerome: Joseph Achron

Nyiregyhazi: Nuit d'ete by Liapunov

-------------------------------

I have asked the Teachers' Forum for their help in providing a list of pieces by obscure composers that are accessible to beginners. I'll post some suggestions when I get them. Also, ask your own teacher, if you have one. Don't be shy about participating. The whole purpose of the e-cital is to shed light on under-appreciated composers. The more, the merrier.

#1262236 - 09/04/09 08:34 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Alkan comes to mind immediately, I have doubts I will be able to play any of his pieces though laugh
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#1262269 - 09/04/09 09:59 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: Mati]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Mati- Yes, Alkan would be a great addition. I believe most of his pieces are quite advanced. I'm not familiar with all of his works, but what I've heard seems for advanced players. Do some digging, though. Maybe you'll find something.

We have a couple of suggestions from Kreisler that I wanted to pass along.

1 - Alexandre Tansman

2 - Alexina Louie "Star Light, Star Bright"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLu-ZwaLV7Q

I'll post more suggestions as they come in.

#1262329 - 09/04/09 12:21 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I might add Grazyna Bacewicz with her piano compositions, and Ignacy Paderewski too. Come to think of it, his piano pieces don't have much exposure these days. Maybe Robert Muczynski and his Maverick Pieces for solo piano? Alexander Borodin composed for piano too.

It might be a good idea to google for what Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded during his career. He is well known for recordings of obscure and rarely played composers.

Edited by Mati (09/04/09 12:22 PM)

#1262351 - 09/04/09 01:01 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: Mati]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Mati. I actually credit Hamelin for introducing me to Alkan. You're right, he does like to perform works by lesser-known composers. I have his Kaleidoscope CD and here is a list of some of the more obscure composers:

Edna Bentz Woods, Felix Blumenfeld, Jakob Gimpel, Jules Massenet, Leopold Godowsky, Aleksander Michalowski, Arthur Vincent Lourie, Emile-Robert Blanchet, Alfredo Casella, John Vallier, Nikolai Kapustin.

Most of the pieces on this CD sound quite advanced. However, these composers might have some material suitable for beginner to intermediate level.

Thanks for the input. I would imagine that most of the performers for this e-cital will have to do some research and buy new music, so I appreciate the suggestions.

#1262367 - 09/04/09 01:23 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Are we limited to a single submission? If not, I'll add something from Massenet to what I'm already doing. Maybe another waltz.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1262680 - 09/04/09 10:56 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: epf]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi epf -

You know, I was originally thinking we should limit it to one submission per person, but I think we should allow multiple submissions. After all, the whole idea of this e-cital is to give exposure to under-played composers, so it seems logical that we should allow more than one piece per person. So as long as it's okay with everyone, I say go for it!

#1262683 - 09/04/09 10:59 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Also, some recent suggestions from our friends over on Teachers' Forum:

Aeolian Harp by W. Gilock, Level2 NYSSMA piece
Tokyo Twilight by N. Faber, Level 4
Album for the Young by Lowell Liebermann

#1262690 - 09/04/09 11:09 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Would you consider Kabalevsky and Bartok too well known?

Rich

#1262811 - 09/05/09 06:50 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DragonPianoPlayer
Would you consider Kabalevsky and Bartok too well known?

Rich

Not at all, Rich. We decided not to argue what " obscure" means. If Kabalevsky and Bartok are new to you, or if you feel they are under-appreciated, by all means play them!

#1262825 - 09/05/09 08:00 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a neat little relatively uncomplicated (but nevertheless delightful) piece by one Cornelius Gurlitt (1820-1901), a German I believe - it's his Op. 205, No. 11 in B minor titled "A Little Flower", which is much more like a Classical minuet than a musical "nature study" - apparently Gurlitt gave a number of his shorter, easier pieces descriptive titles - would this fit in with your theme?

I also submitted a piece to the last ABF Recital by Johann Krieger (also from Germany), a contemporary of Bach and Handel - this is his Minuet in A minor, which I could also upload to this thread if desired.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1262845 - 09/05/09 09:20 AM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: TrapperJohn]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi JF -

The Gurlitt and the Krieger both sound like great choices. We'd love to add them to the program. However, don't post them here. As we get closer, I'll give instructions about where to send the files, and I'll post them all together on a hosting site, so it will be more like a real recital. Thanks for your interest!

#1262929 - 09/05/09 12:45 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: heidiv]
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Heidiv, if you needed help, my offer for Schubertian in Schumann E-cital thread about providing a hosting space and an application to do the easy submitting for all participants is also valid for Unsung Heroes Ecital. I will be more than glad to help you all out with technical aspects of this event. Just drop me a PM when needed.

Mateusz

#1262976 - 09/05/09 02:16 PM Re: Unsung Heroes Ectial -Heidi should've come to us first - [Re: Mati]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for your kind and generous offer, Mati. Check your PM.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, 36251, *windowlicker*, Alpiano, 49 invisible), 1850 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75920 Members
42 Forums
156889 Topics
2305231 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pierre-Laurent Aimard Ticket for sale
by Fugue14
08/23/14 01:18 PM
A New Piano Brand is Coming
by Steve Cohen
08/23/14 12:21 PM
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
08/23/14 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
08/23/14 09:47 AM
Help - kawai rx2-c conservatory limited edition
by KungPaoPanda
08/23/14 08:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission