2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Peyton Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I've been working on a number of short Schumann pieces and marvel at the complexities (at least for me) within an apparently simple piece. I welcome any advice. It was rightly suggested that I should have given more importance to the ritardando but I'm wondering about my rubato? Too much?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That was a very respectable attempt! However, you are absolutely right that this piece is far more complex than most people think. I find that Schumann is truly one of the most difficult composers to truly "get right." I, for one, have been struggling along with the Fantasiestücke for several months now and I'm still thoroughly unsatisfied with my interpretations. smile

While I was listening to your performance, I couldn't help but notice that it lacked that mystical quality that this piece requires. Since this is from the Op. 15 set, you're really trying to capture the mindset of an innocent child pondering about the world he's not yet seen. It should be somewhat fantastical but restrained. I would definitely slow down and play a bit more softly. Listen to Horowitz, Brendel, and Rubinstein for some idea of what I'm trying to say.

Don't give up hope though. Although Schumann is difficult, he is definitely one of my favorite and most dearly-held composers. Good luck!

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Peyton, I hope you saw my 'review' in the ABF thread. If not, here it is.

Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Peyton, I listened to your Schumann. Well done! My only concerns are that sometimes the accompaniment was a bit too loud, but you held onto the melody. Quieting down the accompaniment will make that easier. smile

Also, take note of the counter-melody in the low register. It generally moves in contrary motion to the top voice. I'd like to hear that brought out a little bit, but not too much. Once again, making the accompaniment quieter will help. Chopin's Op. 15 no. 1 Nocturne that I am working one has even more voices to juggle, so I know how difficult it is. Also, a more distinct "lift" between phrases seems called for. Also hard to do, but I have found that correct phrasing makes all the difference.

Great playing, and thanks for posting!

I, too, love Schumann very much. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Peyton Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Akono and Horowitzian, many thanks for these very helpful comments. Akono, I love your comment "you're really trying to capture the mindset of an innocent child pondering about the world he's not yet seen. It should be somewhat fantastical but restrained. I would definitely slow down and play a bit more softly." I just sat down and played with that in mind and it helped much. Horowitzian, making the accompaniment quiter shouldn't be too much of a challenge but "taking note" of the counter melody and juggling those voices will be a nice, if not more difficult focus. And I gotta "lift" between those phrases! smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
smile Always glad to help where I can!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No problem. I look forward to hearing it again soon! smile

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
A
A
Some small things: I think a little less rubato would do good, the melody in this piece really can speak for itself. And be really careful with the inner figuring, it should never be "in the spotlight". Your mind must be focused on the melody, not the notes in between.

It's really sensitive and hard to make it sound good, but i think youre almost there. Try to listen more than you think smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission