2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1257470 08/27/09 08:44 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I can't believe I am asking this question after playing the piano for over 25 years! I seriously am confused. I know what duple meter is, but is there a "duplet" which would be counted/played differently other than the way you would count/play two eighth notes (like a "triplet" is played differently than 3 eighth notes) I have never been taught that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd have to see it in the context of a piece to be able to tell you what to do. However, it sounds as though you are asking if something like that exists. Sometimes if you are in a key signature like 6/8 (or any other compound meter) you will see a "2" between two 8ths, and this means to play them as if two of those notes can fill a beat (rather than 3). I believe that's right, anyways.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Irenev
I can't believe I am asking this question after playing the piano for over 25 years! I seriously am confused. I know what duple meter is, but is there a "duplet" which would be counted/played differently other than the way you would count/play two eighth notes (like a "triplet" is played differently than 3 eighth notes) I have never been taught that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

In "swing" two eighth notes are played like a triple quarter followed by an eighth. Written as duple but played as triple.

However, there is usually some direction telling you to make that change.

Morodiene #1257916 08/28/09 01:20 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Morodeine: I'm referring to Clair de Lune, right at the start, in meas. 3 -- there are two groups of two eighth notes with a 2 in brackets above them. So, this would seem to indicate they are played differently than a normal set of 2 eighth notes. (It's compound meter: 9/8) It's funny, I've played tons of difficult repertoire, and have a BA in Music ed, but have never been taught or come across a duplet. I even googled it and went through half dozen books, which explain what it is, but not how it is played.

Gary: what is "swing"? You mean, swing music? thx.

Morodiene #1257919 08/28/09 01:21 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Morodeine, I'm still a little confused. Do you mean that normally in compound metter, such as 6/8, each 8th note would get one beat, however with the two in brackets above 2 8th notes, those two 8ths notes would get ONE beat?

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Technically the dotted crotchet is the beat. 6/8 is viewed as 2 beats of three quavers, rather than 6 beats. It simply means that sometimes that beat is split into 2, rather than 3.

6/8 has two beats
9/8 has three beats

Each beat is a dotted-quarter note long, and the beats are typically divided into threes. 6/8 is a duple meter (you count 2 dotted-quarter beats) and 9/8 is a triple meter (you count 3 dotted-quarter beats.)

Theory textbooks call 6/8 a duple-compound meter and 9/8 a triple compound meter. (In compound meters, the beats divide into threes instead of twos.)

Now, in the case of Clair de Lune and other pieces with duplets, the duplet changes the subdivision. You still count three beats in the measure, but the beat with the duplet will subdivide differently (into 2 instead of into 3 sounds per beat.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Technically the dotted crotchet is the beat. 6/8 is viewed as 2 beats of three quavers, rather than 6 beats. It simply means that sometimes that beat is split into 2, rather than 3.

I like your analysis but fear it will not be understood by students. I would not even attempt any further explanation in this medium. It seems to me to be one of those things that is very easy to explain with a demonstration, in person, but nearly impossible with only words.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Irenev

Gary: what is "swing"? You mean, swing music? thx.

For now consider that as right. It is a little more complicated, but I think it will work.

However, I don't want to confuse you. Your question was about something different. In the Debussy, the music is set up in beats that are divided into three parts, so three eight notes. Whenever a time signature has an "8" on the bottom and a top number that is 3, 6, 9, or 12, you know that this the is "default" rhythm for that piece.

Any time a different number of notes are fit into a beat, it is called a "tuplet". When Debussy is doing pairs of 8ths, he marks them as a "2 eighth tuplet", and that means that those two eigths fit into the same amount of time as 3 normal eighths, for that piece. Remember the norm is 3 to a beat.

Now, did I make it better of worse? I can explain this very well in a lesson. Here it is very frustrating.

Last edited by Gary D.; 08/28/09 06:44 PM. Reason: missing word, typo
Gary D. #1258019 08/28/09 03:33 PM
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi

I like your analysis but fear it will not be understood by students. I would not even attempt any further explanation in this medium. It seems to me to be one of those things that is very easy to explain with a demonstration, in person, but nearly impossible with only words.

Yeah, to be honest, it's not something that you can easily count. Generally I prefer students to fully understand everything, but a duplet is one of those things that can only be played through being felt (unless you go so far as to think of it in terms of a cross-rhythm, where the note falls halfway between imagined triplet note).

Gary D. #1258059 08/28/09 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gary D.
I can explain this very well in a lesson. Here it is very frustrating.

Heh...I'm in the same boat. In person, it would take me all of 5 minutes to completely and forever answer this question with pristine clarity.

But alas, it's the internet... frown

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Kreisler, Gary, and Nyireghyhazi - I totally understand now! I understood about duple, triple, etc. meters, but that set of 8ths in Clair de Lune left me wondering "what do I do with these?" It makes perfect sense that they would comprise one beat. THanks for taking the time to explain it.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission