2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Sorry, Frycek. I wasn't slighting the ABF. I've been running back and forth between the computer and the kids this morning and I just happened to post it on Pianists' Corner first. Thanks for posting the link for me. Of course everyone is welcome.

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
It's just that AFB "invented" the Ecital and it's most enthusiastic participants are here. I think this is a totally wonderful idea.

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks for filling me in. I'm new here. I was planning to post on both forums, but just as I was finishing my original post on PC, there was an incident at my house involving 2 little girls, a bottle of hot pink nail polish and a puppy...

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the idea. I think it will be enlightening for all of us.

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
I'm afraid to ask about the puppy - - - -

[Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Physically fine (red fur hides a multitude), psychologically it's too early to tell.

School starts Wednesday. grin grin grin

May I suggest to anyone who may be interested -- please don't be intimidated, even if you are a true beginner. There are many beautiful pieces out there accessible to all of us. This isn't a contest. The whole point is to be exposed to new music.

If you would like to participate but are unsure of which composer to choose, don't worry. With everyone's input, I plan on compiling a list of suggestions for everyone to explore.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by heidiv
Thanks for filling me in. I'm new here. I was planning to post on both forums, but just as I was finishing my original post on PC, there was an incident at my house involving 2 little girls, a bottle of hot pink nail polish and a puppy...

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the idea. I think it will be enlightening for all of us.

Oh no... Hope it was nothing too serious.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm

2 little girls + hot pink (of course) nail polish + puppy =

the two girls decided Fido would look 'cuter' with nail polish, they raided Mom's make up area, applied the polish to the dog's nails, the dog was not cooperative, knocked the nail polish onto the rug - spilling contents, girls are now having a 'quiet time' event in their rooms - dog is being cleaned

I'm sure I can come up with something wilder given a little more time

In the meantime - I am looking into unsung bohemians - Dvorak, Smetana, and Martinu all wrote a lot of piano music, most of it pretty much unknown - to me, anyway -

Either them or Paradisi - who was overshadowed by Scarlatti and then the Bach boys and Mozart - but his sonatas are completely enjoyable and worthwhile - the great film director Bunuel used one of them at a crucial moment in The Exterminating Angel - a fantastic mix of surrealism, acid portraits of the haute bourgeousie, and, most unexpectedly, Nietzsche's Eternal Return of the Same. All that was enough to permanently burn Paradisi into my subconscious mind, where it lurks - perhaps waiting for this e-cital to emerge.

Last edited by Schubertian; 08/30/09 01:08 PM.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I didn't even mention the water puddles on the floor from the "pedicures." Fortunately, it was kiddie nail polish, easy to clean up. And fortunately it was a toy poodle and not a doberman laugh

You have many great ideas, Schubertian. Any of those choices would be great. The hard part might be narrowing it down to the one you'd like to do. I've never heard of Paradisi - I'll check him out.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi everyone. Here's the updated list:

Participants

-Frycek: Adieu by Carl Filtsch

Euan Morrison: Prelude #tbd by Cesar Cui

beet 31425: Prelude and Fugue #tbd by Trygve Madsen

akonow: Scharwenka tbd

gerg: tbd

heidiv: The Angel by Bortkiewicz

Schubertian: Sonata by Hyacinth Jadin

epf: Under the Palms Waltz by Irene Audain

currawong: tbd

RachFan: tbd

SlatterFan: Fantasy Op. 12 by Vorisek

pianojerome: Joseph Achron

Nyiregyhazi: Nuit d'ete by Liapunov

-------------------------------

I have asked the Teachers' Forum for their help in providing a list of pieces by obscure composers that are accessible to beginners. I'll post some suggestions when I get them. Also, ask your own teacher, if you have one. Don't be shy about participating. The whole purpose of the e-cital is to shed light on under-appreciated composers. The more, the merrier.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Alkan comes to mind immediately, I have doubts I will be able to play any of his pieces though laugh

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi Mati- Yes, Alkan would be a great addition. I believe most of his pieces are quite advanced. I'm not familiar with all of his works, but what I've heard seems for advanced players. Do some digging, though. Maybe you'll find something.

We have a couple of suggestions from Kreisler that I wanted to pass along.

1 - Alexandre Tansman

2 - Alexina Louie "Star Light, Star Bright"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLu-ZwaLV7Q

I'll post more suggestions as they come in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I might add Grazyna Bacewicz with her piano compositions, and Ignacy Paderewski too. Come to think of it, his piano pieces don't have much exposure these days. Maybe Robert Muczynski and his Maverick Pieces for solo piano? Alexander Borodin composed for piano too.

It might be a good idea to google for what Marc-Andre Hamelin has recorded during his career. He is well known for recordings of obscure and rarely played composers.

Last edited by Mati; 09/04/09 12:22 PM.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Thanks for the suggestions, Mati. I actually credit Hamelin for introducing me to Alkan. You're right, he does like to perform works by lesser-known composers. I have his Kaleidoscope CD and here is a list of some of the more obscure composers:

Edna Bentz Woods, Felix Blumenfeld, Jakob Gimpel, Jules Massenet, Leopold Godowsky, Aleksander Michalowski, Arthur Vincent Lourie, Emile-Robert Blanchet, Alfredo Casella, John Vallier, Nikolai Kapustin.

Most of the pieces on this CD sound quite advanced. However, these composers might have some material suitable for beginner to intermediate level.

Thanks for the input. I would imagine that most of the performers for this e-cital will have to do some research and buy new music, so I appreciate the suggestions.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are we limited to a single submission? If not, I'll add something from Massenet to what I'm already doing. Maybe another waltz.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hi epf -

You know, I was originally thinking we should limit it to one submission per person, but I think we should allow multiple submissions. After all, the whole idea of this e-cital is to give exposure to under-played composers, so it seems logical that we should allow more than one piece per person. So as long as it's okay with everyone, I say go for it!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Also, some recent suggestions from our friends over on Teachers' Forum:

Aeolian Harp by W. Gilock, Level2 NYSSMA piece
Tokyo Twilight by N. Faber, Level 4
Album for the Young by Lowell Liebermann

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Would you consider Kabalevsky and Bartok too well known?

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by DragonPianoPlayer
Would you consider Kabalevsky and Bartok too well known?

Rich

Not at all, Rich. We decided not to argue what " obscure" means. If Kabalevsky and Bartok are new to you, or if you feel they are under-appreciated, by all means play them!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a neat little relatively uncomplicated (but nevertheless delightful) piece by one Cornelius Gurlitt (1820-1901), a German I believe - it's his Op. 205, No. 11 in B minor titled "A Little Flower", which is much more like a Classical minuet than a musical "nature study" - apparently Gurlitt gave a number of his shorter, easier pieces descriptive titles - would this fit in with your theme?

I also submitted a piece to the last ABF Recital by Johann Krieger (also from Germany), a contemporary of Bach and Handel - this is his Minuet in A minor, which I could also upload to this thread if desired.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission