Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1258248 - 08/28/09 09:50 PM StudioPiano
abcdefg Offline

Loc: midwest
I might be buying a new piano for my studio. I currently have a Kawai baby grand. It has served me well.

How do you all teach your students to respect your piano and treat it with care? I know some of my students would love an upgrade and others wouldn't know the difference. I am mainly concerned about the young beginner that gets excited and wiggles a bit too much. They are not behaving badly, sometimes they just get so excited that they can't sit still.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1258255 - 08/28/09 10:01 PM Re: StudioPiano [Re: abcdefg]
Rachel J Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Oh boy... I've had to make students take off their shoes, because they couldn't help swinging their legs and kicking my piano!

At the first lesson I always have a little talk with kids about my piano. I tell them about its age and its name, etc. I tell them that it was a very special gift from my parents when I had been playing the piano diligently for 10 years, and that it's the piano I will have for my entire life. (I think kids just don't understand that it's more than a toy, more than a piece of furniture. It's up to you to teach them what a special thing it is.) Then I tell them how important it is not to touch any part of it except the keys. I tell them how hard it is to keep clean, etc. Of course, I do this all with a lot of humor and a big smile on my face. Don't want them to be scared of it either!

Funny aside... Now, my piano is a 1925 Steinway. Once, I was giving the little speech to a new student... an 8 year-old girl. I led with the fact that the piano was a special gift from my parents for my 15th birthday when I had been practicing hard for 10 years. First thing out of the kid's mouth? "WOW, your piano doesn't look *THAT* old!" Gotta love the honesty of children. laugh When I told her the piano was already about 60 years old when I got it, she completely freaked out.

#1258256 - 08/28/09 10:03 PM Re: StudioPiano [Re: abcdefg]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Just not sitting still isn't going to damage your piano smile

Have some basic rules - clean hands, nothing on the piano except music (ie don't put your phone/watch/keys/(shudder)water bottle on the piano), no violence (banging lid, hitting keys). If I had my time over I would have been a bit more insistent on the washing hands, but even this caused no lasting damage to my beloved C3. I generally keep its cover on the tail half and fold back the lid - which is a good first defence if students were to look like dumping things on it. Just don't let anyone get away with anything and they'll learn. Having a bright shiny new piano is a good opportunity to tighten up your rules if you've become a little lax, too.

#1258279 - 08/28/09 10:46 PM Re: StudioPiano [Re: currawong]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
... OR, you could buy a 41-year-old former conservatory piano that already has cosmetic flaws... but it wouldn't have exactly the same level of "wow-factor" when you see it in the living room or studio. wink smile

On another note, my adjustable bench (not an especially pricey one at least) is a complete mess. A student accidentally ripped out one of the buttons, and recently, my cats clawed-up the leather. They are permanently banned from the studio now, but the damage is done! frown Well, I guess the bench kind of matches the piano now. *sigh*

abcdefg ~ Best of luck in your piano search! laugh I hope you find a great piano. How long have you had your Kawai?

Rachel J ~ I love your story! I once had a parent ask, at the first lesson after their interview, if "this was the same piano" I had the week before. ??? At the interview and in earlier e-mails I had explained that we'd just bought it a month prior... so I guess it's not just students who may be unaware of the permanence of these things, LOL. FWIW, the lid was down at the second meeting, so I guess it looked different to the parent. I thought it was funny, but didn't dare laugh out loud. She was really serious. shocked

currawong ~ Good rules! I do the same thing, but the rules just serve to maintain the "status quo" of my piano's appearance, and to minimize cleaning, what with all the kids who file through my studio each week. I wouldn't recognize a new nick or scratch (well, maybe I would by now, but I might not be absolutely certain). The most pristine-looking finish is under the folded-back lid, and it's a satin finish anyhow... but still, it sounds like it could be a shiny new piano. laugh
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1258291 - 08/28/09 11:08 PM Re: StudioPiano [Re: MsAdrienne]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
One thing that's rarely thought of is belt buckles. Get a boy the right height with a metal belt buckle on, and get ready for scratches on the wood in front of the keys. I knew a teacher who had a custom made plexiglass cover put across the front of the keyboard below the keys.

I wonder if you could do the same with the kind of plastic covers you put on iPhone screens - attach a long, thin strip of plastic to various parts of the piano and music desk to avoid scratches.

I also like matte finishes because they don't seem to show blemishes as much. (I'd get a matte finish on my car if I could!)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1258456 - 08/29/09 10:53 AM Re: StudioPiano [Re: Kreisler]
abcdefg Offline

Loc: midwest
MsAdrienne--you asked how long I have had my piano. About 17 years. I do still love my piano but it is beginning to make action noises and such. Plus I just got to play a couple of really nice Steinways. That makes it very tempting. So my husband says--you're not getting any younger if you are going to get a new piano you should do it now while you can enjoy it.

#1258477 - 08/29/09 11:34 AM Re: StudioPiano [Re: abcdefg]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's what my husband said too, abcdefg! And while you teach, you can use it as a tax deduction!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1258950 - 08/30/09 11:15 AM Re: StudioPiano [Re: Kreisler]
Knabe26 Offline

Loc: Northern California
Re: Kreisler's comment about scratches beneath the keys, I put a strip of plastic soft-cover book covering material on the wood and it really helps. It's like a satin-finish Contac paper, but easily removable. (I guess more like removable shelf liner.) It's the same material I use to cover my Henle editions. I first tried a small piece on an inconspicuous place for several months, then cut a large piece that covers the whole front under the keys. I've had it there a few years now, and it's not even noticeable except when sitting right at the piano.

www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, 36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, *windowlicker*, 42 invisible), 1329 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156818 Topics
2304223 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
08/20/14 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
08/20/14 06:43 PM
Cloud piano
by Bosendorff
08/20/14 06:35 PM
How many years?
by schumoney
08/20/14 06:30 PM
Schubert 4-hands
by frida11
08/20/14 04:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission