Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, AndyJoe, 36251, 31 invisible), 1385 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1258658 - 08/29/09 05:45 PM Re: Swine flu prevention [Re: Mark...]
diinin Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Mark...
So far this virus doesn't seem any worse that the yearly flu we see every year. This one is just getting more media attention. Hand washing with soap and hot water is the best. 15 seconds minimum. Many sanitizers/disinfectants cause bugs to morph into stronger bugs.

Send sick kids home and like someone said don't touch your face. Get the flu shot. Eat well get rest and don't stress out on this flu...

But here's the problem. (I'm an ICU nurse, BTW). This virus was very active over the summer, even in the Northern Hemisphere, when the conditions for the flu virus are normally unfavorable. The fact that it was so active at such an unlikely time is ominous. It is also hitting people in their prime. Further, when it combines with the seasonal flu, we will get still more variations. The flu is highly unpredictable, especially a new strain. This could turn out to be more serious than people realize.

While antibiotics (oral and IV/IM) do cause super-bugs, I'm not aware that that's been proven with our hand soaps. Also, hand sanitizers are said to be effective on the flu virus and most other bugs, except C-diff.

The most important thing for people to know is that the flu is RESPIRATORY. There is no such thing as the stomach flu. If you have no respiratory symptoms, you do not have the flu (some kids have had some nausea/vomiting with H1N1, which is unusual, but still it's not the primary symptom). If you think you have a bad cold, you may have the flu. THAT is where the challenge lies--discerning a bad cold from the flu.

I agree not to stress out about it, though.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1258665 - 08/29/09 06:10 PM Re: Swine flu prevention [Re: diinin]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: diinin
Also, hand sanitizers are said to be effective on the flu virus and most other bugs, except C-diff.

Ah ha. That explains the hand washing when my son was in the hospital. There were indeed ruling out C-diff. (Clostridium difficile).

Deborah

#1258687 - 08/29/09 07:18 PM Re: Swine flu prevention [Re: gooddog]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
As I understand it, fever is the one big symptom that tells you whether you have a mere cold or the more serious flu, which kills tens of thousands of people, just in the US, even in an ordinary year. Then, there are the terrible flu years like 1918, when even the youngest and strongest are killed in a matter of days (twenty million deaths worldwide, by some estimates--- with a much lower world population). That is what the health experts are trying to forestall, as you can well imagine that there is no possibility that everyone could be treated.

Not that I'm unsympathetic with anyone who's ill, but it has bothered me for a long time that people seem to feel it's quite ok to go out in public and spread these communicable diseases to whomever they share a space with. Classroom, piano keyboard, subway car, airplane, office--- you name it. Of course, there's a lot of pressure on people to do this from employers, airlines, schools, etc., because it would cost them money and some inconvenience to do otherwise. But a lot of people, it seems to me, just don't care what happens to the other guy... and I would be glad to see this change.

One would think that even the simplest of infection control devices, like the handkerchief, had never been invented, let alone staying home until you feel better.

I think maybe the easier and quicker hand-sanitizer method is preferred by health workers partly because washing the hands with soap twenty times during the work day is pretty rough on the skin. But... if you want to find a really excellent population of germs, what better place to look than a doctor's waiting room?

For the rest of us, hand-washing is probably the best.

#1258699 - 08/29/09 07:41 PM Re: Swine flu prevention [Re: Jeff Clef]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
But... if you want to find a really excellent population of germs, what better place to look than a doctor's waiting room?

Sorry to keep this non-musical thread going but what Jeff said brought something else to mind. When you visit the doctor's office, do yourself a favor and do not use the pens that are available at the receptionist's desk and do not read the magazines. Who knows what kind of illness the last person who used them had? Bring your own pen and reading matter.

Deborah

#1258715 - 08/29/09 09:04 PM Re: Swine flu prevention [Re: Jeff Clef]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

For the rest of us, hand-washing is probably the best.

I would not want to be misunderstood about hand washing. I am not underestimating it. It is key. HOWEVER, access to hand washing is not always easy (or sanitary). In fact, taps, sink surfaces, bathroom door handles and even soap bars are often cultured for a wide variety of germs. A little tip here: When you wash your hands, especially in a public area, you should avoid contact with these surfaces after you wash. The best way would be of course "no-touch activators" that turn the tap on and off and open the door automatically. Alternatively, use a dry paper towel to turn the tap off and open the door..
The above limitations (and the poor compliance rates)have led to the development of automatic sanitizer dispensers. Their efficacy against most bacteria and viruses (not all) is not questionable and their use in what may prove to be an upcoming epidemic is beneficial to all. Many schools now have them (at least in my neck of the woods). Piano teachers would be wise to consider upgrading their sanitation efforts since they do not have control over students outside their studios and are in the relatively high risk category, much like doctors and their waiting rooms!
I apologize for the diatribe, but the subject matter is important and the data clear cut.

Edited by Andromaque (08/29/09 09:05 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159391 Topics
2341410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission