2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz

Kids are attracted to the guitar because they heard some cool songs and want to learn. Shouldn't that be the way with piano? Personally I love the sound of the piano and seek out music that I enjoy. Practice is seldom a chore because it gives me much pleasure to just sit and play. And I definitely will be doing so until the day I die.

It's not what they hear, but what they see. Most popular music has piano or keyboard parts, but the person up front singing and showing off usually is waving a guitar around. It is the image, not the sound. The keyboard player or pianist is usually off to the side, with the exception of Coldplay, Norah Jones, and a few others. Even Nine Inch Nails uses keyboard extensively, probably more than guitar.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Good observation. We are more and more dominated by visual media and visual impressions.
Even when there is a classical pianist that gives the audience a little bit of visual stimulus and finds a following with young people he is criticized as some kind of apostate.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by saerra
Quick thought on the original question: how many people really hate piano...

Pianoworld may not be the best place to ask that! I imagine piano-hating folks are mightly repelled by our piano-obsessed antics here :p ! wink

I asked "how many people hate piano," not "do *you* hate piano". I did not want this to be a piano or piano -teacher bashing session, but to gain insight as to the things that cause someone to hate piano. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz
Let me pose a question, how many guitarists have you ever heard say they hate the guitar? I've heard of NONE. Most pro guitar players have a similar story to how they started. They heard some great guitarist, was blown away by the sound of it, and couldn't wait to practice and emulate their musical heroes. They would play hours on end in the basement dreaming of becoming good. How many piano players say that?

Jimi Hendrix was a guitar god to so many people. Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton have talked fondly of his influence on them. BB King once said his guitars are like his wives, and he gives them names like "Lucille".

There isn't the structured approach to guitar lessons as there is to piano. Heck, alot of the pros can barely manage 5 chords and play the same licks over and over. Granted rock and pop music is far less challenging than classical or jazz.

Kids are attracted to the guitar because they heard some cool songs and want to learn. Shouldn't that be the way with piano? Personally I love the sound of the piano and seek out music that I enjoy. Practice is seldom a chore because it gives me much pleasure to just sit and play. And I definitely will be doing so until the day I die.

I tried to learn guitar and hated it. It just did not suit my personality. But you are right, if we're talking Pop and rock piano vs. pop and rock jazz, they are taught pretty much the same way usually (if that is the only thing the teacher knows how to play) -- very unstructured -- and that works, because it's not that hard to do. But if we're talking classical guitar or jazz, I think you'll find a much more structured lesson with much more difficult assignments. Of course, this is a grand generalization and I know there are exceptions to everything.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You only HATE piano when you're forced to against your will because your mind associates vehement scoldings and threats of abuse with the piano so you start not to like it. This happened to Lang Lang, sorry I have to mention him smile , which was a reason he hated the piano and wanted to quit since his father was very, at least we know, verbally abusive to him telling him to commit suicide at one point.

However, I can't speak for the pros, but all adult amateurs love piano, DON"T WE??? wink

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission