Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1259333 - 08/30/09 10:41 PM Piano on craigslist
brandino Offline

Hey all,
I'm knew to piano buying and am doing research and whatnot to see what I can afford and what would be best to fit in my house. I'm a begginer at the insturment, so I figured I try and find something used and cheap to practice on and see how I like it.

I was searching craigslist and came across someone who's giving away a piano they have no room for. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it myself yet. But what I do know about it is what I got from the seller. She said this, "It's dark brown, and it says 'Oakland Cabinet Grand, Buffalo, New York.' A couple of the keys don't play properly - I assume it needs a few new strings, but I don't know much about pianos."

Have any of you heard of of a piano like this? And if you have, are they anything decent? Oh, and if I do get it, any ideas on how much it'd cost to get those keys fixed?

Edited by brandino (08/30/09 10:42 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1259334 - 08/30/09 10:43 PM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: brandino]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That sounds like a big old upright in poor condition. A free piano is never free. Consider spending $600 on a Wurlitzer spinet or Acrosonic spinet instead. You should always have a tech look at a new piano before you buy it.

#1259336 - 08/30/09 10:49 PM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: Bob]
boxijie Offline

Loc: Vancouver
You might want to consider renting as another option. You could have a higher quality instrument to practise on. If you decide not to continue, you send it back. If you decide to continue sometimes the rent you paid gets taken off the purchase price.

What is your budget?

#1259338 - 08/30/09 10:53 PM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: boxijie]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

sounds like a piano that should be passed up. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a cash for clunkers program for pianos.

#1259349 - 08/30/09 11:14 PM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: SeilerFan]
brandino Offline

I'm not to sure what my budget is right now. I only really just started looking and I'm not in to much of a hurry cause my college has practice rooms with baby grands I can practice on. I may even go the digital route so I won't wake any family members if I want to practice late at night.

#1259393 - 08/31/09 01:23 AM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: brandino]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
I found what I think was the listing via google search, but upon going to the listing on the craigslist website it had been deleted by the post's author. Since the piano was in Lincoln, NE, I will assume you are in that general area. I took the liberty to browse Craigslist in that area, and came up with what I think may be a few possibilities:

Spinets:
Baldwin Spinet - $450
Baldwin Acrosonic 1950s blonde oak spinet - $450 (not the same as the above one - different phone numbers in ads)
Baldwin Acrosonic spinet - $450 (cabinet in pic looks like 1950s-1960s style iirc)
Baldwin Acrosonic 900 spinet - $500
Wurlitzer spinet - $450 (looks like it may be 40s style cabinet, but i'm not sure)
Wurlitzer spinet - $650 (same cabinet style as a 1955 Wurlitzer some friends have, and their piano is one of the nicest Wurlitzer spinets I have seen & played)
Wurlitzer spinet - $395 (this one has toe blocks under the legs, which most spinets do not have)
Wurlitzer spinet - $600
Wurlitzer spinet - $600

Consoles:
Kimball Artist console - $500
Cable-Nelson console - $449 (purchased new in 1978, someone in another thread said they were made by Everett)
Kimball Console piano - $750
Kawai 602-T console - $1000 (purchased new in 1990)

Studios:
Wurlitzer studio upright (~45") - $400 (no bench)
school piano - $100 (pic shows a Baldwin Hamilton)

Hopefully one of those would be a good piano. I think if it's still available (it was posted on August 4) the Baldwin Hamilton would be the best of the bunch if it's in good condition.

Edited by 88Key_PianoPlayer (08/31/09 01:25 AM)
Edit Reason: accidentally almost coined term "craigslisting" - text would have read "upon going to the craigslisting it had been deleted" near start of post
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1259401 - 08/31/09 01:57 AM Re: Piano on craigslist [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

brandino, getting a decent instrument can mean the difference between enjoying playing piano and not enjoying playing piano. That in turn can mean the difference between continuing to play and practice and giving up the piano. So it's really important to get something decent.

The first major hurdle is getting something that can be tuned and can keep its tuning. Unlike guitars, where the strings are kept in position by friction in metal screws, pianos keep their tuning depending on metal pins that are in wooden holes. As the wood ages and the pin is tuned over the years, they loosen up. Some very old pianos will hold a tuning still, but many will not. A piano that can't hold its tuning will require considerable work even in order to get a stop-gap fix.

A second hurdle is getting a piano with hammers that aren't hopelessly worn out. Hammers should have a full teardrop shape (you can see pictures online). If they have deep grooves, they can be shaped so that there's a new surface, but beyond a certain point you'll have to replace the hammers, another big cost.

Getting a piano under about 50 years old will vastly increase your chances of finding a piano without some of these problems, but depending on how it has been treated over the years, a piano in this age range can also be in bad shape.

The usual advice is to hire a technician to accompany you to inspect the piano. If you're on an extremely tight budget, just look inside the piano -- does it look corroded, or are the parts clean and new-looking? After looking at a few pianos you'll be able to tell which have been treated well and which have not.

After all those concerns, just play the pianos and trust your feelings about what sounds and feels good. Play different parts of the keyboard, high, low and middle. Do you hear tone in the higher keys, or does it sound like the hammer is just knocking on wood? When you push a key down, does it feel like the mechanism starts responding immediately, or do you have to push down a little bit before something starts moving? Do the keys move loosely from side to side (meaning that the felt holding them in place is worn out), or are they stay snugly in place?

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (anrpiano, 36251, Al LaPorte, 51 invisible), 1386 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74270 Members
42 Forums
153623 Topics
2251638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello + buying my first piano (long post)
by Ben_NZ
04/21/14 08:54 AM
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission