2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1259072 08/30/09 04:16 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have to write a 10 page paper on Music Therapy. Can anyone send me off in a good direction? I want to focus on piano, but I can use it all.
Thanks smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
My wife earned her first degree in Music Therapy and worked in the field until we had kids and she stayed home.

It's hard to point you in any good direction - but know that music therapy is more therapy than music, and piano is an unlikely candidate.

The basic premise is to avoid the YAVIS principle. That is, that Young Affluent Verbal Intelligent Successful patients do very well with talk therapy, and the other 99% of them are hard to reach. So you branch out into music, dance, sports, occupational, etc., in an effort to connect.

Music therapist are not required to play at high skill levels. They deal hands on with very low functioning patients - in my wife's case with profoundly retarded, adults who functioned at a 3 year old level. People who are not continent and will never learn to dress themselves.

Piano isn't good because it interferes with you getting your hands on your client. Almost any other instrument isolates you less. Of course piano is a required course in the curriculum for other reasons but it is of little use in actual practise most of the time.

gotta go practice
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TimR
My wife earned her first degree in Music Therapy and worked in the field until we had kids and she stayed home.

It's hard to point you in any good direction - but know that music therapy is more therapy than music, and piano is an unlikely candidate.

The basic premise is to avoid the YAVIS principle. That is, that Young Affluent Verbal Intelligent Successful patients do very well with talk therapy, and the other 99% of them are hard to reach. So you branch out into music, dance, sports, occupational, etc., in an effort to connect.

Music therapist are not required to play at high skill levels. They deal hands on with very low functioning patients - in my wife's case with profoundly retarded, adults who functioned at a 3 year old level. People who are not continent and will never learn to dress themselves.

Piano isn't good because it interferes with you getting your hands on your client. Almost any other instrument isolates you less. Of course piano is a required course in the curriculum for other reasons but it is of little use in actual practise most of the time.

Tim, I would not argue with a word of what you wrote above, because quite obviously this is a field you know a great deal about. And I don't.

I do want to add that at this time I am working with two students who are described as "high-functioning autistic", and I'm going strictly by the seat of my pants. I'm not a lable person, and I'm not sure the above label is even useful, much less accurate. I do know that both these students have rigid rules, feel comfortable working in a more limited framework (can't describe this very well) but are absolutely wonderful to work with.

Perhaps other instruments would help even more, but both seem to make a connection with the piano and love the structure of the instrument.

This makes me wonder if different people are "helped" by different instruments, depending on whatever strengths and limitations they have that might get them "letter labels".

I also don't know where the positive effects of playing any instrument stop being or start being therapeutic. I bow to your knowledge here.

Thoughts? smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When you start your research, keep in mind that Music Therapy is 10% music, 90% therapy. Most of the information will come from the various MT associations and digging around in ERIC, PsychINFO, JSTOR, and similar places.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
I woudl also check out some books on music psychology, as I'm sure there would be some valuable information for you there. I recall D. Deutsch wrote a couple of books/articles on the subject. There are tons of good databases of professionals journals out there, as Kreisler recommended, that have full articles published online for free (some you have to pay, but you can still read the abstracts to know if it's a worthwhile purchase (or sometimes the information you need is right there and you won't have to buy the article ;)). EBSCO is one such database. Try logging onto your local library website and seeing what online research tools are available through them. Also, you can use any state university libraries in your state, and many of them have a borrowing system through your local public library.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Here's a recent literature review on music therapy that you might find helpful, and that will contain lots of citations to other scholarly references:

Gold, C., Solli, H. P., Krüger, V., & Lie, S. A. (2009). Dose-response relationship in music therapy for people with serious mental disorders: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 29, 193-207.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary D.
I do want to add that at this time I am working with two students who are described as "high-functioning autistic",

Perhaps other instruments would help even more, but both seem to make a connection with the piano and love the structure of the instrument.

smile

No, I think you're doing them a world of good, and piano is working out fine for them.

It's just that much of music therapy is done in a group setting with much lower functioning clients. Piano doesn't work out as well in these settings, whether it is the therapist or the client who plays. For a therapist, playing is not performing, but an act of connecting personality.

gotta go practice
B
BSP Offline
B
Hi E & I,
I'm a Board Certified Music Therapist. What sorts of things are you looking to use in your paper? You can PM me for more info, but here's a good place to start, at our website:
www.musictherapy.org.

I'll look forward to hearing from you...
til then good luck!
BevP

E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Thank you everyone! I am off to a great start smile

Bev, I went there and lo and behold!!! I had already been there while "digging" around online smile Lots of good info there

Last edited by Ebony and Ivory; 09/02/09 06:49 AM.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I've looked online, and not been impressed by the resources.

You may want to check at a library, if you have a decent one available.

I see Bev is Board Certified. Last time I paid any attention there were two paths to credentials. There was Registered, and there was Board Certified, and the two didn't mix. That was years ago, perhaps by now some reconciliation has occurred.

gotta go practice

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission