Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1259072 - 08/30/09 04:16 PM Music Therapy information?
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I have to write a 10 page paper on Music Therapy. Can anyone send me off in a good direction? I want to focus on piano, but I can use it all.
Thanks smile

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1259355 - 08/30/09 11:26 PM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My wife earned her first degree in Music Therapy and worked in the field until we had kids and she stayed home.

It's hard to point you in any good direction - but know that music therapy is more therapy than music, and piano is an unlikely candidate.

The basic premise is to avoid the YAVIS principle. That is, that Young Affluent Verbal Intelligent Successful patients do very well with talk therapy, and the other 99% of them are hard to reach. So you branch out into music, dance, sports, occupational, etc., in an effort to connect.

Music therapist are not required to play at high skill levels. They deal hands on with very low functioning patients - in my wife's case with profoundly retarded, adults who functioned at a 3 year old level. People who are not continent and will never learn to dress themselves.

Piano isn't good because it interferes with you getting your hands on your client. Almost any other instrument isolates you less. Of course piano is a required course in the curriculum for other reasons but it is of little use in actual practise most of the time.

#1259402 - 08/31/09 01:58 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: TimR]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: TimR
My wife earned her first degree in Music Therapy and worked in the field until we had kids and she stayed home.

It's hard to point you in any good direction - but know that music therapy is more therapy than music, and piano is an unlikely candidate.

The basic premise is to avoid the YAVIS principle. That is, that Young Affluent Verbal Intelligent Successful patients do very well with talk therapy, and the other 99% of them are hard to reach. So you branch out into music, dance, sports, occupational, etc., in an effort to connect.

Music therapist are not required to play at high skill levels. They deal hands on with very low functioning patients - in my wife's case with profoundly retarded, adults who functioned at a 3 year old level. People who are not continent and will never learn to dress themselves.

Piano isn't good because it interferes with you getting your hands on your client. Almost any other instrument isolates you less. Of course piano is a required course in the curriculum for other reasons but it is of little use in actual practise most of the time.

Tim, I would not argue with a word of what you wrote above, because quite obviously this is a field you know a great deal about. And I don't.

I do want to add that at this time I am working with two students who are described as "high-functioning autistic", and I'm going strictly by the seat of my pants. I'm not a lable person, and I'm not sure the above label is even useful, much less accurate. I do know that both these students have rigid rules, feel comfortable working in a more limited framework (can't describe this very well) but are absolutely wonderful to work with.

Perhaps other instruments would help even more, but both seem to make a connection with the piano and love the structure of the instrument.

This makes me wonder if different people are "helped" by different instruments, depending on whatever strengths and limitations they have that might get them "letter labels".

I also don't know where the positive effects of playing any instrument stop being or start being therapeutic. I bow to your knowledge here.

Thoughts? smile

#1259488 - 08/31/09 08:05 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Gary D.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
When you start your research, keep in mind that Music Therapy is 10% music, 90% therapy. Most of the information will come from the various MT associations and digging around in ERIC, PsychINFO, JSTOR, and similar places.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1259513 - 08/31/09 09:29 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Kreisler]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I woudl also check out some books on music psychology, as I'm sure there would be some valuable information for you there. I recall D. Deutsch wrote a couple of books/articles on the subject. There are tons of good databases of professionals journals out there, as Kreisler recommended, that have full articles published online for free (some you have to pay, but you can still read the abstracts to know if it's a worthwhile purchase (or sometimes the information you need is right there and you won't have to buy the article ;)). EBSCO is one such database. Try logging onto your local library website and seeing what online research tools are available through them. Also, you can use any state university libraries in your state, and many of them have a borrowing system through your local public library.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1259556 - 08/31/09 10:57 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Morodiene]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Here's a recent literature review on music therapy that you might find helpful, and that will contain lots of citations to other scholarly references:

Gold, C., Solli, H. P., Kr├╝ger, V., & Lie, S. A. (2009). Dose-response relationship in music therapy for people with serious mental disorders: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 29, 193-207.

#1259603 - 08/31/09 12:12 PM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Gary D.]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
I do want to add that at this time I am working with two students who are described as "high-functioning autistic",

Perhaps other instruments would help even more, but both seem to make a connection with the piano and love the structure of the instrument.

smile

No, I think you're doing them a world of good, and piano is working out fine for them.

It's just that much of music therapy is done in a group setting with much lower functioning clients. Piano doesn't work out as well in these settings, whether it is the therapist or the client who plays. For a therapist, playing is not performing, but an act of connecting personality.

#1260172 - 09/01/09 09:08 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
BSP Offline

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
Hi E & I,
I'm a Board Certified Music Therapist. What sorts of things are you looking to use in your paper? You can PM me for more info, but here's a good place to start, at our website:
www.musictherapy.org.

I'll look forward to hearing from you...
til then good luck!
BevP

#1260859 - 09/02/09 06:45 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: BSP]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
Thank you everyone! I am off to a great start smile

Bev, I went there and lo and behold!!! I had already been there while "digging" around online smile Lots of good info there

Edited by Ebony and Ivory (09/02/09 06:49 AM)

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1260890 - 09/02/09 08:52 AM Re: Music Therapy information? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've looked online, and not been impressed by the resources.

You may want to check at a library, if you have a decent one available.

I see Bev is Board Certified. Last time I paid any attention there were two paths to credentials. There was Registered, and there was Board Certified, and the two didn't mix. That was years ago, perhaps by now some reconciliation has occurred.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (Allan W., accordeur, 15shoes, 36251, A Guy, 33 invisible), 991 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157154 Topics
2308075 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New start - wish me good luck:)
by FarmGirl
08/29/14 11:21 PM
Automatic Piano Players...
by tksler
08/29/14 10:33 PM
No one home?
by ScottM
08/29/14 08:05 PM
Prokofiev's 5 piano concertos, live: Marinskij/Gergiev etc
by fnork
08/29/14 07:36 PM
Has anyone here studied with S. Babayan
by Serge Marinkovic
08/29/14 07:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission