Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1258162 - 08/28/09 07:02 PM Zoom H2 Right For Me?
stevj016 Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hello everyone,

I like the idea of recording myself playing the piano, so that I can then put it onto a CD, to give to family members and stuff like that. I'm after really good quality, and something that will record an acoustic piano with more or less professional quality. I've heard that the Zoom H2 is supposed to be good, is this true? Is it worth the money?

The thing is, I'm about the least intelligent person when it comes to technology. When I see you guys writing these funny computer terms, I really don't know what you're talking about. So I just simply want something that will record with good quality, and that can easily be converted to CD, is the Zoom H2 the right one for me?

Thanks,
Stevj016.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1258167 - 08/28/09 07:14 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: stevj016]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I think it is and whilst I'm PC savy it's VERY easy to use. I'd actually sell mine if you were interested (only used once or twice thus far) since I'm "itching" to the get the new one with Video smile

Send me a PM if you're interested, I'd like to get $130 for it ($200 purchased earlier this year)

thumb
SC

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1258177 - 08/28/09 07:34 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: stevj016]
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have and use the H2 for making quick recordings as I practice. I guess I wouldn't call any of the Zoom handy recorders "professional quality" if you mean what they do in professional studios. But it's great for amateur use and it's easy to transfer files to your computer (although you can record and play back through headphones just using the H2 with no computer required).

I like the 4 built-in mics on the H2 and the variety of mic patterns you can select (from simple stereo to surround sound). The little table stand that comes with the H2 is also ideal for setting on the music stand of my grand. Setup is so quick and simple that it actually encourages me to record a lot more than the old days when my options required much more equipment, cables, and setup.

You can record mp3 files which are handy for emailing, putting onto web sites, and such uses. You can burn mp3 files to CD and most CD players can play them (but not all). You can also do pcm files (an option in the H2) and burn real audio CDs without getting too much into computer stuff. But having a program on your computer to manage and edit the files is very handy for clean up and equalization (I am using Garageband right now but am getting Logic for my Mac for more serious work).
Estonia L168 #1718

#1258222 - 08/28/09 08:58 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: stevj016]
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
Originally Posted By: stevj016
I've heard that the Zoom H2 is supposed to be good, is this true? Is it worth the money?

Every penny. I've had mine about a year and love it. I suggest installing a free software program called Audacity on your PC to help manage and edit your recordings and write them to CD.

#1259132 - 08/30/09 05:40 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: MarkL]
stevj016 Offline

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, they are much appreciated. I'm now very keen on the new Zoom Q3, I just have a few questions about it:

1.) This Q3 includes video, but is there the option to only use audio? Because the main thing I want is to record audio to put on CD, but with video I could also put stuff on Youtube, so do I have the choice to use audio on its own?

2.) If so, would the audio quality be as good as the H2 or H4?

3.) Would it be as simple for me to put music onto CD's? Or even put stuff on Youtube?

4.) Does anyone know when the Q3 will be available in the UK?

Thank you for your time,
Stevj016.

#1259194 - 08/30/09 06:52 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: stevj016]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Stevj016, my understanding is that the audio "guts" of the Zoom Q3 is the same as the H4, so the quality would be just as good. I also believe that you can record in an audio-only mode.

And, yes, using the Zoom is very very simple. I agree with MarkL that it is a good idea to download Audacity (it's free) and use that for editing. Basically it's just a step or two to edit out the stuff at the beginning and end of your recording, then normalize it (or not), and the upload to the web. You can record in .wav format, which will have the best quality for burning to CD, and Audacity can then convert your recording to mp3 format for uploading the web.

The latest correspondence I've had with Sweetwater about my Zoom Q3 order is that they're delaying the ship date (again) until Sept. 18. That's the only snag, as they have kept putting off the date since late spring. frown I don't know if that date applies to the UK, too. You probably would need to call a dealer there to find out.

#1259508 - 08/31/09 09:22 AM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: Monica K.]
stevj016 Offline

Hey,

Thank you so much Monica K for your detailed reply. Would anyone know where I can pre-order the Zoom Q3 in the UK?

Thanks,
Stevj016.

#1259525 - 08/31/09 10:03 AM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: stevj016]
Wombat66 Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
Try

http://www.andertons.co.uk/MultiTrackRecorders/pid16769/cid602/ZoomQ3PortableVideoRecorder.asp

or

http://www.imusician.co.uk/acatalog/zoom...m_term=00067393

or

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-...-Microphone/BIE

I personally have the H2, and have just persuaded my teacher to invest in one after I lent him mine.
I can highly recommend the H2 and having read about the Q3 as a result of this thread can honestly say I'm not really interested in upgrading

#1259545 - 08/31/09 10:34 AM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: Wombat66]
Maestro_007 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Just to throw this in: I just got my hands on a Tascam DR-07 and find it to be similar in features to the Zoom H2, and it's just a tad cheaper on Amazon from what I've seen.

I've read that it's easier to use than the H2, but I never got to use one. Has anyone used both?
MM

#1259621 - 08/31/09 12:31 PM Re: Zoom H2 Right For Me? [Re: Maestro_007]
stevj016 Offline

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input. Those links are really good, I just feel a bit nervous buying from websites I haven't heard of, are these sites completely safe? Would anyone know if the Q3 will be available on amazon.co.uk at any time?

Thanks,
Stevj016.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, 53 invisible), 1629 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251380 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission