Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1258727 - 08/29/09 09:33 PM Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP
MrHazelton Offline

Loc: CT
I've been lurking through the different postings on this site for several days now. This site is great! Anyway, I was originally interested in a Clavinova CVP 407/409. After looking around this site, I'm not so sure. I do currently have an acoustic piano, but it is a cheap Indonesian made Hazelton Brothers spinet piano. Hence my screen name. I would love to have a grand piano, but I don't have too much room. I could perhaps fit a baby grand, but I've noticed that several people on these boards have negative feeling towards baby grands. So, in your opinion, would you rather have a baby grand, a really good upright, or a CVP-409? I do like the 409 because of all the other cool features it has. I must add that my cheap piano actually sounds pretty good.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1258730 - 08/29/09 09:39 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: MrHazelton]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

IHO, the touch repetition sensitivity and tone on a grand will nearly always trump the performance of an upright. The touch and tone performance of a CVP407/409 are awfully good for the space requirement. The new N3 AvantGrand at only 4.5' has even more remarkable performance in touch and tone.

Edited by Marty Flinn (08/29/09 09:40 PM)

#1258949 - 08/30/09 11:14 AM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: Marty Flinn]
Collyermum Offline

Loc: Durham UK
Hi

I'm not an expert like many of the helpful posters on this board, but I have had a Clavinova CLP270 for 8 years, it was the top of the range when I bought it (apart from paying extra for wooden key tops). Now although it is still working fine for me, my frustration at a non-acoustic had reached boiling over point and I set out to buy a mid-range, good quality upright (approx £5k I guess that would be about $8k depending on the exchange rate).

I did find some lovely uprights that were perfectly serviceable, but "fell in love" with a mid range baby grand that was about 50% more expensive. The cheap grands at the same sort of prices as the £5k uprights were nothing like as good as the uprights, they sounded horrible and the action was loose and unconvincing. The salesmen implied they were really for people who wanted a piano shaped piece of furniture (the mind boggles why anyone would want to spend that much but there you go!). However the baby grand I ended up with, while not perfect, was not too far over budget and better than the uprights I could afford and much better than the equivalently priced cheap baby grands. Both the tone and the action was very pleasing and it has revolutionised my motivation to improve my playing technique and hugely increased my pleasure in playing compared to the digital piano, which just wasn't responsive in the same way.

Hope this helps.

#1258991 - 08/30/09 01:04 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: Collyermum]
MrHazelton Offline

Thanks to both of you, very much.

#1259319 - 08/30/09 10:20 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: MrHazelton]
choleric Offline

I think that, in the ideal world, one would own a nice digital piano AND a grand piano. The digital for the fun stuff and/or the instrumentation that can be used for non-piano pieces, and the grand for the real piano sound and more precise touch. Is that possible in your scenario? Keep in mind that a digital like the CLP370 has the same action and sound projection as the CVP407...just not in the same cabinet and without rhythms and the large screen, and for about half the price. You could use that extra money towards a grand. what do you think?

#1259469 - 08/31/09 07:02 AM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: choleric]
bluespianofan Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Judging from the original post, it sounds like the OP would have to buy a new house to fit a grand piano.

#1259651 - 08/31/09 01:39 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: bluespianofan]
MrHazelton Offline

I went to a piano store yesterday and tried out a few different types of pianos and high end digital pianos. I don't remember the make of the DP's, but I did recognize them at the time, and they went for about $4000. The tone and feel on one piano, in my price rang, trumped the rest. How do you feel about the Ritmuller GH148R? It's a small baby grand (4'10"). I didn't think it would fit but the store owner gave me a template to try out in my house and I didn't take as much room as I thought it would. It piano goes for about $9500. Also, the piano dealer was talking about a "piano life saver system", which is basically a humidifier/dehumidifier designed to be mounted under a piano. Do you guys (or ladies) recommend one as well? I won't be purchasing for a good 6 months but I'm pretty excited about this piano. Any suggestions on comparable pianos?

#1259664 - 08/31/09 01:56 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: MrHazelton]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Oh, a Baby grand for sure over an upright! It's like driving a "convertible" indoors! wink

Mine is a baby grand! As you can see, I didn't have a lot of room for one bigger. This is the perfect size and sound for me. And it was the right price too!

#1259815 - 08/31/09 05:19 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: Diane...]
Collyermum Offline

Loc: Durham UK
What a lovely piano in a beautiful situation! Very sophisticated!

I don't have room for a bigger one, either!

#1259892 - 08/31/09 07:01 PM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: Collyermum]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I would go for a good upright. I could never recommend a grand under approx. 5'5 in good conscience to anyone serious about growing as a pianist. Most 50" uprights IMO have far more balance and clarity than a small grand. Even the action on most small grands suffers terribly due to size. Not to be too negative but I personally don't think a 4'11 grand is much good for anything other than being a nice looking piece of furniture. If furniture is what you're looking for then go for it. Otherwise I would highly recommend looking at something larger than 5'5 or an upright larger than 48".

Good luck

#1260051 - 09/01/09 12:52 AM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: AJF]
MrHazelton Offline

How does everyone feel about Ritmuller? They certainly are cheaper in price than their competition.

#1260125 - 09/01/09 06:01 AM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: MrHazelton]
jrcallan Online   content

Loc: Pennsylvania
Why would the action be any different on a small grand? Certainly, the tonal result might be different, but why would the ability to play ppp or the repeatability be any different from a larger grand?

#1260148 - 09/01/09 07:53 AM Re: Baby Grands vs Uprights vs DP [Re: jrcallan]
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
The action on a grand is nicer and more responsive.
I have a 5.3 grand, not the biggest or best, but far better then any upright!! (Sound and action!)

At the end it is your own decision, in your home a piano sounds very different!

Have a listen here.....

http://www.box.net/shared/zeesoni3h6

And enjoy the search, once you own your piano it is like a marriage, first you have the honeymoon, then reality sets in, somedays are great some are less , but if you find your true love..... grin

Good luck!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (anotherscott, bennevis, angelsong, 36251, 20 invisible), 1324 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153539 Topics
2250142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Requests?
by kent2012
9 minutes 19 seconds ago
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission