2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#1260135 09/01/09 07:02 AM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ha! The Bar is usually open by now - the innkeeper must have overslept - the door was still locked, so I had to "jimmy" a back window and climb in and open up the joint from the "inside out" (never quite lost that artful talent from my days as a cat burgler) - anyway, the bar is now open, the adult beverages are on ice, the peanuts in the shells are in bowls on the bar, the resident barfly asleep at the corner table has been uncerimoniously evicted, the lid has been raised on the old dusty piano in the corner - but we're still waiting for the piano player to show up...

Regards, JF

P.S. I do have a piece I want to play here in the bar but it needs "tuned-up" (the piece, not the piano - well maybe that too...).

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This is my one "tribute" piece. I've posted it before. The lyrics still ring true for me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone - This is my first visit to The Bar. I enjoyed your story John, so I thought I would pop in and dust off the piano keys.

My contribution is something I wrote this past Spring. It is called "The Children's Waltz" and there is a story behind it:

My husband teaches elementary school music. For the past 2 years, he taught ballroom dance after school to a select group of 4th and 5th graders. Through the year, I watched his performances and was thrilled to see how much these kids enjoyed what they were being taught.

I was inspired to write a tune that I played at their final program/party. My husband sang as I played. Below are the words:

Look at the children,
Dancing together.
Concentrating carefully,
To the music's beat.

Watch their feet gliding,
See their eyes shining.
Proud as they turn around
Feet tapping on the ground.

One, two, three.
One, two, three.
Waltzing so joyfully.

Look at the children,
Dancing together.
Concentrating carefully,
To the music's beat.

Watch their feet gliding,
See their eyes shining.

Dance with me, dance with me, dance with me.
Oh will you,
Dance with me, dance with me, dance with me.
The Children's Waltz.

http://www.box.net/shared/rg3x8uvdqt

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Peyton - I got goose bumps --- and teary eyes. That was exquisite!

Barb

Last edited by Swingin' Barb; 09/01/09 07:36 AM.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
Peyton,
It is a very emotional piece and I think you have a gift to touch people with your expression, in whatever form it is. You brought back my memory on that day. (My office building was a couple miles from the Pentagon)

Barb,
Strangely, your piece gave me a relaxing feeling. It is like a week-end morning, when I just sit back under the sun and watch the children playing.

My contribution for this month is:

A Summer Evening Walk

TB

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
A very emotional bar so far this month. All three were deeply moving, and to think (at least) 2 were written by forum members!

I hope I don't spoil the mood by making my first video contribution. This is a Senneville and Toussaint piece I happened to record with a (for me) low number of mistakes, so here is Souvenir D'enfance or "Childhood Memories."

Last edited by bluekeys; 09/01/09 11:56 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wow! You guys have set the "bar" incredibly high in the Bar right from the start - glad I opened it up smile

Peyton - very moving creative effort - have not seen a better tribute - a painful reminder we must have - thanks.

Swinging Barb - a very nice creative effort of your own - good tune, good lyrics - neat concept: teaching kids dancing and writing a song to commemorate it - very well played by you - would also like to have heard yor husband sing this!

True Beginner - excellent piece, very well played - composed by you? You are becoming our resident New Age Master - I'm not certain what you're a "True Beginner" at, but it certainly isn't composing or playing anymore thumb

blue keys - very nice piece, very nicely played - enjoyed that a lot - fine touch and interpretation - keep those videos rolling in!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
True Beginner -- that was beautiful. I love your left hand movement.

BlueKeys - that was a very touching piece. I enjoyed watching your fingers glide over those keys.

JF - Thank you for your kind words. If my husband had Peyton's voice, he would gladly post his singing! wink

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for opening up the bar...I'll have a white wine spritzer, please. grin

I'm really enjoying listening to everyone's contributions so far. thumb heart I don't know how you are able to compose so well - that's a special talent (that I don't have). frown

Well, here's one of my old Disney favorites (another video).. Hope you enjoy:

When You Wish Upon A Star

N
N
Peyton - That's so emotionally strong I couldn't finish here at work.

Barb - Beautiful, especially with the words.

True Beginner - Very nice.

Bluekeys: Really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Elssa: I love that style, and it fits the song perfectly.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M

Last edited by Mark...; 09/01/09 03:55 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Boy, the piano bars are sure front-loaded these days. I think I'll kind of spread out the listening over the month so I'm never out of new pieces to hear smile

Barb - I like the story behind the song. I remember in 5th grade, when I was too young yet to go to the local ballroom dance school, my 7th grade brother would come home and teach me so he'd have someone to practice with, and then I'd go out on the playground and teach my friends. Lovely piece.

Mark... - great piece - it made me laugh, which is a good thing. In fact, I had to listen more than once. great.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
Thanks for opening up the bar...I'll have a white wine spritzer, please. grin

I'll buy you drinks all night long if you keep playing like that... wait a minute... if I keep buying you drinks after awhile you may not even be able to sit up, let alone play like that... never mind...

Originally Posted by Elssa
Well, here's one of my old Disney favorites (another video).. Hope you enjoy:

When You Wish Upon A Star

Elssa -

One of my all-time favorite tunes - a lovely melody and so stylishly and beautifully played - one of your best, and that's saying something - and it was a real joy watching your hands glide and dance over the keyboard, adding another dimension to your always exquisite playing - I invariably love your song selections - and I must confess that one of my ultimate piano goals is to play songs like that, like that!

Regards, JF

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by John Frank; 09/01/09 08:29 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Elssa - That was so very pretty. It took me back to when I was a kid. 3hearts

noxiousdog - Thank you. The words did come easy for that song. Usually the lyrics are the hard part for me.

Mark - I hope you had as much fun in playing The Clown as I had listening. grin Good job!

Thank you Cathy - Ballroom dancing on the playground? I love it! 2hearts

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Mark - nice effort on "Clown" - sounds like a real fun piece to play (but maybe not that easy).

Regards, JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Swingin barb, great melody. Will you ever post it with your husband singing? I'd love to hear it.

true Beginner- A perfect name for the piece. Is that an original? Very pretty.

bluekeys- You didn't spoil the mood at all. A nice uplifting tune and well played. (My wife was listening in the back room and called out..."What a sweet piece!" )

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Peyton -- thank you. My husband, Mr. Jazz Vibist, does not want me to post his singing. But, we both want to hear you sing it.

So, below is the lead sheet with the words.

http://www.box.net/shared/a3jv4lg2my

We are both looking forward to your performance.

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Swingin' Barb
Peyton -- thank you. My husband, Mr. Jazz Vibist, does not want me to post his singing. But, we both want to hear you sing it.

So, below is the lead sheet with the words.

http://www.box.net/shared/a3jv4lg2my

We are both looking forward to your performance.

Barb

laugh laugh laugh

I'll work on it....but I could never play it as well as you... smile

Last edited by Peyton; 09/01/09 09:19 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
I'll work on it....but I could never play it as well as you... smile

Peyton - You play beautifully, you sing beautifully. I feel honored that you will be working on my tune. thumb

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Peyton, no words I can think of suffice to comment on this, so let me just say - you speak, I believe, for us all.

Barb, beautiful tune, nothing childish about those harmonies! Well done.

TB, your composition? Quite beautiful. It brought to mind the spirit of Les Miz. Well done.

Bluekeys, excellent intepretation, very enjoyable, good job!

Elssa, great arrangement! Nice cross-hand! (BTW, was you piano in transpose mode? Mine seems to be a half step higher.)

Mark, wow, a tune with child-like phrases, but XXX-rated adult development and harmonies! Do you know who composed it! Very interesting. Well done.

My song this month is John Coltrane's Moment's Notice. The tune is quite simple, but there are rapid changes in key center that make it a challenge to solo on. Lots of fun.

http://www.box.net/shared/3acznxqyfc

Ed

Last edited by Riddler; 09/02/09 12:09 AM.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission