Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, activee, 36251, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, 38 invisible), 1684 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1262494 - 09/04/09 04:22 PM Two sisters new at piano
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
I start teaching piano to 2 sisters in about a week and a half. They are aged 7 and 9 and have never played the piano before. My instinct is telling me to have them use different books to work from. I don't want them bored of listening to their sister playing the same pages. What is your opinion/experience on this? Thanks,

Gisele

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1262520 - 09/04/09 05:23 PM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Gisele]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Definitely use different courses. Just because they are sisters doesn't mean they will learn the same way or will proceed at the same pace.

#1262866 - 09/05/09 10:27 AM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Minniemay]
Karisofia Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I generally use different material with siblings. And I institute a "leave your sister's music alone" rule. That comes from my childhood when I learned things more quickly than my younger sisters. They would become discouraged if I played their pieces.
The Achievement Program Center Representative

#1262886 - 09/05/09 11:26 AM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Karisofia]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I've used separate method books with siblings in the past. But I noticed that consistently the one using Faber and Faber PA always did better! (And the other got frustrated, or even dropped out.) So now I use PA with both. I have a standard "agreement" in place with them ahead of time - that it is not a competition. That I expect them to have different strengths and weaknesses. If one is older, I explain right away that I will probably move that person faster on purpose, just so they aren't in the same place at the same time.

Currently I have two sets of twins. They have been doing everything in tandem all their lives, so they seem used to the idea that one of them might learn one thing faster, and another will do something different well. They each have to have their own theory books. And I use different supplemental material for each. I tell them they are "allowed" to help each other, with two exceptions. I want them to do their theory on their own, and they aren't allowed to try their sister's supplemental piece until after I have checked it off. They all seem to understand. I am also going to attempt, for awhile at least, to keep them at the same point. They are all new students so I'll have to report back later how this goes.

#1263217 - 09/05/09 10:00 PM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Lollipop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I ask the mom or dad in this case, because they know them very well. Do they compete or are they good friends? If one learned faster than the other, would that cause issues? If the answer is yes, they compete and it would cause issues, then you know to use two different methods. You also have put forth your best case for the mother so she understands why two sets of books would be necessary, thus bypassing any objections on her part. I like PA, but I also like Hal Leonard (although they changed Lesson Book 3 a bit and made it easier and I don't much care for that).
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1263369 - 09/06/09 09:55 AM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Although I've never had siblings begin piano at the same time, I've certainly encountered them two years apart. As others have mentioned, I use different materials for them. Students usually take possession of their music, so it's best to not recycle. My sisters hated the handmedown school and music items, and I can't blame them. They deserve to have something new and fresh when they begin to learn piano.

Almost always, you'll find different learning styles and speed, but you won't know at the outset which will be the best match for the each student. You can increase your odds by a discrete conversation with mom or dad, by asking probing questions.

It's a good idea to be familiar with more than one series/method even if one becomes your primary. For me, I use Piano Town as my primary, and keep an emergency set of Faber's and Bastien's methods on the shelf just in case. If I find a student extremely high on the learning ability scale, or displaying real musical sensitivity, then I ease them into Jane Tan's method, because we'll focusing on sound issues anyway (so using her methods will make this easier).

#1263930 - 09/07/09 10:15 AM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I used to use Bastien as my second method. I had used it prior to discovering PA, so was familiar with it. What I discovered was that kids who were going to be competitive would do so regardless of what method. So students compared whether or not they had to "repeat" a piece, or how fast they finished a unit, or a whole book, or how many compliments I gave at the lesson... If competition is going to be a problem, it won't matter what method you use. (I even have children - or their parents - who keep track of my other students' progress, especially if they happen to be friends or classmates outside of studio.)

So instead, I've chosen to deal with the competition aspects head-on, rather than try to subvert them.

And occasionally, I find a little bit of competition to be useful.

#1264631 - 09/08/09 01:47 PM Re: Two sisters new at piano [Re: Lollipop]
Gisele Offline

Loc: Schenectady, Saratoga Counties...
Thanks for the reassurance and the warnings of the sisters' possible competitiveness. I never even thought of that possibility, as my siblings and I were almost a decade apart, so this never happened at our home.

I agree that each will probably like to use their own books so they don't feel like they are playing hand-me-downs.

It will be good practice for me too, learning to teach from 2 different series.

Gisele

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Quick question
by Phil Greenough
18 seconds ago
Question about hanno.
by activee
Today at 02:42 PM
How to solve psychological problem on piano playing?
by ppianist
Today at 02:34 PM
Moving from desert to ocean
by cullam
Today at 02:00 PM
CP50 noisy key...
by G. Bonner
Today at 12:30 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160059 Topics
2350560 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission